de Jong - a poor man's Scott Brown

Muff

Nigel De Jong, a poor man's Scott Brown, has accepted a similarly outrageous deal, despite the fact he would be available for £2.5m in the summer.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...opportunity.php

This just shows you the level of media and knowledge in our country - it's a bloody embarrassment.

Scott Brown will no doubt be awarded the POTY award - the mhedia are creaming over him.

De Jong = quality!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's just ridiculous.

The level of knowledge displayed by so many people 'involved' in professional Scottish football is diabolical. We're still dragging our knuckles through the muck when compared to other European countries.

To say that De Jong is a poor man's Scott Brown actually defies belief and I know for a fact that most Tic fans I know would agree with that.

I can't wait until I get carte blanche to write whatever I want in a newsroom, it's going to be an education for some ;)

Link doesn't work me for me Muff.

De Jong is a quality player, certainly not £18mil or £1.8mil, somewhere in between should suffice. Broadfoot is usually decent as well, he's let himself down big time with writing that!

Edit:

Link was missing a 'p' at the end :P

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...opportunity.php

Here is the full article

Day 26 of the transfer window. Not a cheep. Not even a cheapo. Walter Smith refers to it as "flat", Gordon Strachan calls it "dead". This time next week, expect to be in the same position.

It is the transfer window without a transfer. Which makes it a window. Without opportunity.

This month, Peter Lawwell and Martin Bain have sounded as weary as a pair of property developers with estates half-finished and funds evaporating daily in an RBS account.

advertisement

The respective Old Firm chief executives have very differing remits to fulfil. Bain's task it to facilitate the departure of one saleable asset along with seven fringe players clogging up a potentially dangerous wage bill. Lawwell's task is to find Strachan a left-back and striker from a pre-determined shopping list. The hard part is providing said players within the budget set aside by the principal shareholder, Dermot Desmond.

Celtic, one of the few Clydesdale Bank Premier League clubs not to do their banking through HBOS, have so far escaped the peril of the credit crisis. They have an overdraft of only £3m and a wage bill that has been serviced by involvement in the Champions League group stages.

In short, their house is in order. None the less, such good housekeeping is regarded as a lack of ambition from a support who see an opportunity to put Rangers away for the foreseeable future. It is why phone-ins are jammed with ludicrous strengthening suggestions and newspapers are cluttered with common-sense quotes from the chief executive and his manager.

"Premiership wages" has been a regular response in telephone conversations with Lawwell to assess the credibility of the raft of names linked with a move to Celtic Park.

On Saturday, Strachan - adopting the Craig Brown policy to criticism by quoting vast quantities of shots and shies per game - made the frankly unbelievable claim that it would cost £8m to sign a better player than Lee Naylor. On current form, he need only re-sign Charlie Mulgrew from Aberdeen, but his point is this: to sign a bog-standard Coca-Cola Championship player would cost around £3m plus the terms of his three-year contract.

It is no longer the transfer fees but the cumulative wage demands that are proving prohibitive to Celtic's ambitions. Take a few recent examples. Luis Boa Morte has been touted around England and Scotland by his agent as cash-strapped West Ham United flog their assets. An average Premier League performer, who turns 32 in the summer, would be available for a couple of million pounds. The catch? He is demanding £65,000 per week in wages for the final big contract of his career.

Craig Bellamy struggled to contain himself when asked if he was going back to Celtic, weeks before he joined Manchester City for £14m and £70,000 per week. Nigel De Jong, a poor man's Scott Brown, has accepted a similarly outrageous deal, despite the fact he would be available for £2.5m in the summer.

It is against this backdrop that Celtic have wheeled in a glut of teenagers from across continents. Misan Misun (Czech Republic), Michael Lang (Switzerland) and Dominic Cervi (US) are all regarded as two-year projects by the manager. In addition, Morten Nielsen (Denmark) and Sacha Kljestan (US) are also under consideration.

With Rangers in such a publicly fragile financial state, Celtic's caution is understandable, not least in the context of expensive mistakes in signing Thomas Gravesen, Jiri Jarosik and Massimo Donati, and the utter recklessness of Bobo Balde's 4-year deal.

Celtic's strength has been their resourcefulness: tapping into the influx of migrant workers from Poland to the UK by signing Artur Boruc and Maciej Zurawski, and enjoying the on-field delights and off-field spin-offs of Shunsuke Nakamura.

Perhaps the teenage recruitment drive will ensure the club's long-term prosperity but it is also an indictment of the standard of young players produced at Lennoxtown and around the country. That is for the future.

In the meantime, Celtic have watched their seven-point lead being shorn to four with the third Old Firm derby of the season on the horizon. With a defence in a state of disrepair, and the striking department not yet at full power, the failure to enhance the current squad could have serious consequences in the quest for a fourth successive championship.

With Lawwell in charge of the purse strings, the most successful chief executive (and also the most PR savvy) of an eccentric procession will find himself implicated in any title collapse.

He has a week to play his part in the title defence.

n And another thing . . .

Terry Butcher faces the biggest decision of his career. The Scotland assistant is the preferred candidate to take over at Inverness but after two failures at Sydney FC and Brentford, a third strike against his name would effectively end his management career at 51.

Keeping Inverness in the SPL would revive his reputation but first he must weigh up a six-month shot at redemption in the Highlands against the security and stress-free existence of his secondary career as a pundit with Setanta Sports.

For those of us on the outside, it is a no-brainer but the unpredictable madness of football remains an addictive and alluring proposition. Good luck.

Craig Bellamy struggled to contain himself when asked if he was going back to Celtic, weeks before he joined Manchester City for £14m and £70,000 per week.

What did Bellamy say?

Bellamy said Celtic would never be able to afford him, and its just the way it is now, his wages are too expensive, he quashed any rumour of going to celtic immediately, over the phone on SSN.

Guest therabbitt
I can't wait until I get carte blanche to write whatever I want in a newsroom, it's going to be an education for some ;)

Dont wait then.....do it here, for us.....

:cheers:

Scott Broon is the golden boy of the Scottish mhedia, they,ve got to kid themselves on that Scotland can still produce top players when in fact we cant.

If Broon was half as good as the mhedia want us to believe he,d already be in England, because when it comes to splashing the cash the EPL teams dont hang

about, hes still at the tattie dome because no-body wants him.

Why does he feel the need to say that? They aren't even the same type of player.

I suggest Daryl goes back and watches the Oranje's 3-0 demolition of Italy at the Euro's where De Jong completely dominated Pirlo, Ambrosini and Gattuso with pure guile and intelligence. A performance that Brown could only dream of handing in.

• 10 months later...

Lmao :lol: i thought someone on here was actually going to say De Jong is a poor mans scott brown.

Watchin super sunday last word yesterday and andy gray was saying how every time De Jong plays against the big sides man city do terrific and was praising him alot.

Stuff like this is getting beyond a joke , comparing one of the top defensive midfielders in europe to a guy who can barely cut it consistently in the spl doh