Your best Gers 11 in the last 12 years

kasabian101

I heard 2 guys on the train saying what our best 11 has been in the last 12 years. I had to remind them of that Arteta and R. De Boer would easily get in the team.

Should make for some interesting reading. I think the 12 year time frame was something to do with Larrson's arrival in Scottish Football. He suggested that Larrson would be the only player who would get in his Old Firm select in the last 12 years. I think I agree to be honest.

On you go then....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard 2 guys on the train saying what our best 11 has been in the last 12 years. I had to remind them of that Arteta and R. De Boer would easily get in the team.

Should make for some interesting reading. I think the 12 year time frame was something to do with Larrson's arrival in Scottish Football. He suggested that Larrson would be the only player who would get in his Old Firm select in the last 12 years. I think I agree to be honest.

On you go then....

klos

hutton-cuellar-amorouso-numan

laudraup-gascoigne-gio-albertz

de-boer-prso

that team would annilate the best celtic 11 of the same period

GK - Klos - very reliable, capable of wonder saves

RB - Hutton - almost a complete modern day full back

CB - Boumsong - flopped in EPL, but was in a different league to anyone during his (albeit short) time here

CB - Cuellar - outstanding, shame his loyalty wasn't on a par with his talent

LB - Numan - Legend.

RM - Arteta - Superb, played in CM for us but has shown his ability to play wide at everton

CM - Mendes - Excellent, can dominate a game

CM - Gazza - nuff said

LM - Gio - Very good for us, went on to have a great career

FC - De Boer - Superb player, one of the best footballers weve ever had

FC - Boyd - (puts tin hat on head)

There, a team to beat anyone IMO

On you go then....

klos

hutton-cuellar-amorouso-numan

laudraup-gascoigne-gio-albertz

de-boer-prso

that team would annilate the best celtic 11 of the same period

that would pretty much be my team aswell, apart from maybe bazza (when he was at the top) in for van bronckhorst and lovenkrands for de boer, but the other 2 would be on the bench

I'll start from the Advocaat era, since the Walter Smith era was coming to an end and players didn't perform at their best.

___________________Klos______________________

Hutton_______Cuellar______Amoruso_______Numan

__________Ferguson ____Van Bronkhorst__________

Arteta__________________________________Albertz

__________________________de Boer____________

_____________Prso____________________________

Subs:

McGregor

Bougherra

Andrews

Tugay

Mendes

Novo

Wallace

Klos - Best shot stopper in the history of the SPL

Hutton - Last seasons Hutton was the best right back in Scottish football and up there with the best in Britain

Cueller - What a defender

Amoruso - A bit eccentric at times, but my hero. I just loved the guy.

Numan - Best left back I've ever seen at the club and linked up superbly with Albertz

Ferguson - 1998-2003...the best midfielder in Scotland, and up there with the best in Europe!

Van Bronkhorst - Cracking player...went on to win the Champions League.

Arteta - Wasn't sure about this one but helped us to a treble and played well in Fergusons absence in an awful team.

Albertz - I just loved the big guy, a match winner.

de Boer - Dragged us to a treble in 2003 with Ferguson.

Prso - What a player and for a big guy he had cracking control of the ball.

Taking it as an Advocaat and after team so doesnt include Gazza etc

___________________Klos

Hutton_______Cuellar______Amoruso_______Numan

Reyna______Ferguson ____Van Bronkhorst____Albertz

_____________de Boer

___________________Mols

That team, with everyone at their peak and on form, would be CL semi final material

And if we were to include players that had their peak either before us or after us (Gattuso, Frank de Boer and Arteta being the ones that spring most to mind) then i would be disappointed if we weren't going to places like the nou camp or old trafford to make Barcelona or Man Utd our bitch :D

Klos

Hutton Amoruso Cuellar Numan

Arteta Ferguson Van Bronckhorst Albertz

De Boer Prso

Subs- McGregor, Moore, Arveladze, Tugay, Mols, McCann, Reyna

Can't argue with that (tu) I'd maybe be inclined to stick Rod Wallace on the bench aswell, just for his fantastic ability to score a scrappy goal at the perfect moment!

Klos

Hutton Amoruso Cuellar Numan

Arteta Ferguson Van Bronckhorst Albertz

De Boer Prso

Subs- McGregor, Moore, Arveladze, Tugay, Mols, McCann, Reyna

Can't argue with that (tu) I'd maybe be inclined to stick Rod Wallace on the bench aswell, just for his fantastic ability to score a scrappy goal at the perfect moment!

I actually had Rod Wallace there but edited it and put in Claudio Reyna

Stunned that no one has mentioned Boumsong yet.

He was different gravy when he was here.

Even now, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Back in France and has quietly settled into one of Lyon's first choice centre backs.

When you compare Boumsong's first 6 months with Cuellar's first 6 months, there really wasn't much, if anything, between the two.

I was never really a fan tbh, lacked concentation and struggled against big guys IMO.

He had a bad game against De Vries and then Benjani in the UEFA Cup and all of a sudden many seem him as this soft touch. It was nonsensical.

He's still very complimentary towards the Gers.

He was different gravy when he was here.

Even now, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Back in France and has quietly settled into one of Lyon's first choice centre backs.

When you compare Boumsong's first 6 months with Cuellar's first 6 months, there really wasn't much, if anything, between the two.

I caught some of the Lyon game today when I was home for lunch and seen that he was playing. I thought he was more of a backup player there, but it's good to see that he is managing to rebuild his career.

Eck had many shortcomings, but the balance between Andrews and Boumsong was pretty much perfect IMO.

--------------------Klos------------------------

Hutton-----Cuellar----Amoruso-----Numan

---------Arteta---Ferguson---Albertz---------

De Boer-----------Mols--------------------Prso

Very difficult to leave Gio out but I had to put Mols in there since he was one of my favourite players of all time and Albertz doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Boumsong was a very good defender but Amo gave us more in his time than Boumsong did in his 6 months.

_________________Klos________________

Hutton_____Cuellar_____Amoruso_____Gio

McCann____Mendes____Gazza_____Albertz

____________Prso______Mols___________

Subs

McGregor

Boumsong

Numan

Moore

Tugay

De Boer

Arteta

From Celtic, I would say Larsson in for Prso and that would be your Old Firm Eleven.

I thought Boumsong was fantastic for us, he absolutely oozed class and was often head and shoulders above everyone else on the park.

It just shows what confidence does to a player, and being in an environment where they are genuinely appreciated. (not to mention playing against guys like Graham Barrett and Jim Hamilton on a week to week basis ;) )

i don't know about youse, but as i read those names/ line ups i just cant help but have a wee grin on my face. true greats and the memories come flooding back. can only imagine what it would be like if we really did have them all in one team now. would literally be simply the best