Peat says Blatter admits we - Scotland - could lose independence as a team

Boab

Mar 1 2009 By Scott Mcdermott

SCOTLAND have been warned by FIFA they risk losing their independence as a football nation if they agree to be part of Team GB at the 2012 Olympics .

The SFA and their counterparts from Northern Ireland and Wales have always been against uniting with England for the Games in London.

They feared a GB side would be expected to compete in all internationals.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown, the English FA and the British Olympic Association have urged Scotland to take part, with Sir Alex Ferguson touted as a possible coach.

In January the SFA sent a letter to the FA, BOA and FIFA - signed by the Irish and Welsh - stating they had no intention of embracing the idea and are still waiting on a reply. Mailsport understands FIFA president Sepp Blatter last night told the SFA their independent place within the game will be jeopardised by co-operating with Team GB.

Blatter, along with UEFA's Michel Platini, was in Belfast yesterday for the International Football Association Board meeting that was attended by SFA chief Gordon Smith and president George Peat.

They received the news from Blatter at a pre-meeting dinner held at Hillsborough Castle which vindicated the SFA's stance against Team GB.

Peat said: "Mr Blatter told us at an informal function held by the Irish government if we agreed to be part of Team GB our position would be in jeopardy.

"My immediate reaction was 'oh' - I was surprised. I glanced over at the English table and their two guys Lord Treisman and Sir David Richards just looked at each other.

"Lord Treisman has told us we've upset the Olympic committee with our letter but that doesn't make any difference to us or our stance on the issue. It vindicates our argument.

"This is a serious warning from Blatter. I thought when the three associations signed the letter it would kill the idea.

"David Will, who was FIFA vice-president for 15 years has always told us on no account to get involved."

Smith was also adamant Scotland must heed the warning from Blatter and stick to their guns over the Team GB plan.

He said: "We don't think the Olympics should have football because every sport in the Olympics should be the pinnacle.

In football that's the World Cup and European Championship."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/200...78057-21162785/

http://www.noteamgb.com/ - No Scottish involvement for me! GTF from Scotland Team GB!

I think it's a bad idea as well.

If Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales lost their independence for internationals then I think they may as well do away with the individual FA's and have one cohesive body. If we were forced to compete internationally as Great Britain I would expect a British league and Rangers and Celtic to be part of the top flight.

I think it's a bad idea as well.

If Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales lost their independence for internationals then I think they may as well do away with the individual FA's and have one cohesive body. If we were forced to compete internationally as Great Britain I would expect a British league and Rangers and Celtic to be part of the top flight.

If we did lose out so would england ,you cant call team gb england

He's right that football shouldn't even be in the Olympics. The Olympics should be the main event for that particular sport. Nobody gives a shit about olympic tennis matches or football, including the players.

Blatter would never have the balls to do that.

The uproar from the home nations would be too much for him.

Can Blatter pass up the opportunity to piss off a British nation though?

He seems to enjoy it.

Maybe he's saying doing that then so us, Wales, NI don't get involved and the English represent GB and then he knows it will be strong?

FIFA is the federation of international football associations it has nothing to do with countries, we have four football associations in our country and that is not going to change. Rule Brittania

Can Blatter pass up the opportunity to piss off a British nation though?

He seems to enjoy it.

He would be playing with fire if he tried that.

The home nations would never stand for it in any way.

It would be like the SFA trying to combine Rangers and Celtic.

He's right that football shouldn't even be in the Olympics. The Olympics should be the main event for that particular sport. Nobody gives a shit about olympic tennis matches or football, including the players.

Football is the only think I even watch at the Olympics. Agree there's no real point in it though.

Do the home nations not have a gentleman's agreement with the nation's of FIFA to play as 4 separate teams? There is nothing legally binding this, and playing as a united GB in another competition may set a precedent that leads to this agreement being revoked. FIFA is a federation of which home nations are a part of, its member countries can vote on this issue anyway they want, indeed many would gladly see our independent status revoked.

Fifa have been trying to get a UK team for years.They hate the fact that England, Scotland, Wales & N.I have FOUR votes-one each instead of one vote.We vote together for our greater wellbeing & Uefa dont like it either.

We are an Island-The United Kingdom-Great Britain- whatever you want to call us-But to outsiders these 4 countries-are only regions of the UK.We are seen as one Country & SBlattert will do all in his power to dilute the influence we have in football-even tho it was us who invented the game.

Evolution in all aspects of the World, will continue, even in Football

Fifa have been trying to get a UK team for years.They hate the fact that England, Scotland, Wales & N.I have FOUR votes-one each instead of one vote.We vote together for our greater wellbeing & Uefa dont like it either.

We are an Island-The United Kingdom-Great Britain- whatever you want to call us-But to outsiders these 4 countries-are only regions of the UK.We are seen as one Country & SBlattert will do all in his power to dilute the influence we have in football-even tho it was us who invented the game.

Evolution in all aspects of the World, will continue, even in Football

This, Jack Warner amongst others hate the fact the home nations have 4 votes and have been pushing for a UK team behind the scenes for a while. Corrupt shower of cunts.

Football has no place in the Oylmpics, Seb Coe can fuck off as well.