Players that we could have signed

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a myth that Smith knew of Gatusso and sent scouts over to watch him. The scouts were at the Perugia games to watch Negri and Gatusso caught the eye of Ewan Chester by chance.

Advocaat also made the right decision when choosing between him and Ferguson.

Well okay fair doo's with Gattuso maybe it was fate, but I don't quite get what you mean by the Ferguson point, did he plan to play him at RB?

I meant when deciding who to go with in midfield.

A bit of a myth that Smith knew of Gatusso and sent scouts over to watch him. The scouts were at the Perugia games to watch Negri and Gatusso caught the eye of Ewan Chester by chance.

Advocaat also made the right decision when choosing between him and Ferguson.

Well okay fair doo's with Gattuso maybe it was fate, but I don't quite get what you mean by the Ferguson point, did he plan to play him at RB?

I meant when deciding who to go with in midfield.

I'm not too sure about that one TBH. I acknowledge that Gattuso had to grow (in terms of eventually being a World Cup Winner) but Barry managed it without moving on early on in his career and I don't see how Rino couldn't have done the same. We wouldn't have seen the end product but we would have got something out of him I'm sure. In fact we were quite naive in a way that we didn't see his true potential and put an even bigger sell on clause/buy back clause on his contract.

Adebayor another one..

Kolo Toure, arsenal signed him for 500k from a belgium club if i remember correctly. Aliadiere

Patrick Vieira from AC Milan when he wasn't getting a look in.

Vidic when he was playing in Russia

You just think of the quality players we would sign or signed if we had a half decent scouting network. People who know what they are doing and what they are looking for.

A rangers scout in France for 5 months would pick up all sorts of quality bargins, its just about knowing what you are looking for.

Adebayor another one..

Kolo Toure, arsenal signed him for 500k from a belgium club if i remember correctly. Aliadiere

Patrick Vieira from AC Milan when he wasn't getting a look in.

Vidic when he was playing in Russia

You just think of the quality players we would sign or signed if we had a half decent scouting network. People who know what they are doing and what they are looking for.

A rangers scout in France for 5 months would pick up all sorts of quality bargins, its just about knowing what you are looking for.

I suppose in hindsight for every player we scouted there would have been another 5 or 6 high profile clubs showing interest which they ultimatly signed for. Promosing youngsters such as Toure, Viera and Vidic would probably have picked up more wages in the reserves in EPL than they would have being in the first team at Ibrox.

On another point there are many talented youngsters out there in Scotland. As a club we have to catch them at the right time and I guess, culturally half the battle is educating them into becoming an athlete rather than drinking etc.

We need to be going along the lines of sending a rep to Holland for a couple of years to learn how they do it and bring back the knowledge to our system. The Ajax School of Excelence is a prime example of how to do it properly. They educate their kids from 12/13 in a residential type set up which includes getting their academical education as an insurance policy if their footballing careers fail to take off. The club have invested a lot of money on the Murray Park building itself but we all know that the next investment has to be within the infrastructure if this project is to start becoming the convair belt that it promised to be 10 yrs ago.

To be fair though Tamudo he never really wanted to come to us.

I think your wrong there, thought he was upset about lost money

Yeah Im sure the deal was more or less done and dusted. Im about 80% sure that there were issues after his medical? It's strange how some players have not gone signed due to medical results and turned out fine elsewhere. Then we get our hit list, most recently headed by Webster. that filter through the net and barely feature.

Tamudo didn't want to come to us. He's one of those rare players in football who has only ever wanted to play for one club.

He was heartbroken when Espanyol accepted our bid for him and he was actually photgraphed in tears at the airport when he was coming over to Glasgow for negotiations.

Signinga palyer who's heart was never really in it would have been a disaster.

Big Dado earlier in his career!

Good shout. I think JCD would have been a better addition if he came 2 yrs earlier as well. Amazing accelaration but his pace was fading as he went on and he couldn't last a whole game.

Georgie Kinkladze and David Ginola were always linked with us and the tims, constantly, but would have both been a revelation.

Big Kennet Anderson too, he was some player. Big and lanky but scored a fuckin wad of goals.

shevchenko and rebrov were on the plane to glasgow when there agent phoned them and told them about milan and spurs.what about vialli,he would have won us 10in a row.

we defo need to get a better scouting network all u need to do is look at a team like wigan n they have uncovered guys like, palacios, valencia, zaki, figueroa and roddallega n theyve only spent about 5m for the lot of them n they have all turned into cracking players.

we defo need to get a better scouting network all u need to do is look at a team like wigan n they have uncovered guys like, palacios, valencia, zaki, figueroa and roddallega n theyve only spent about 5m for the lot of them n they have all turned into cracking players.

Wigan's uncovering of players is vastly over rated IMO.