Wally Smith - Tactical Genius

Muff

Top class post Muff, I agree with you on every point.

In Extra Time, we actually didn't have a formation:

Davis was shifted out to the left, nobody replaced him on the right, Novo sort of came inside to challenge aerially and Dailly just pranced about in the middle.

It was fucking embarassing to watch.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully opened this thread expecting Outlaw/GCL et al. to be laying the blame at someone elses door. My money is on the pitch being blamed this week, any excuse to let "Watty" off the hook.

First time poster, long time stalker/nosey b*stard! I wholeheatredly agree to pretty much all of the points raised so far but I'm now at the stage where I'm totally disillusioned with where my team are going, do we accept the tedious negativity we seem to be burdened with but then what are the alternatives. Apologies for posting such a non-commital, gloom and doom first post but after today I think the inadequacy in what we all know and love is glaringly obvious. People will defend the Murray/Smith loveathon but major changes are needed, a team sadly lacking in motivation to beat their biggest/oldest/greatest rivals in a cup final, a club management not interested in what being a Rangers fan means, ie to stand up for our traditions/beliefs/what the most succesful club side in the world deserves etc. What now for the future, Scottish Cup can fcuk off, league must be the priority but I'm clinging to the hope that I'll be dancing like a car thief when the title is back where it belongs. :clap:

Good first post mate, and welcome to the forum.

think we all feel slightly powerless about whats going on at the club just now.

something needs to be done thats for damn sure, i am just wondering where we start :(

Davis was shifted out to the left, nobody replaced him on the right, Novo sort of came inside to challenge aerially and Dailly just pranced about in the middle.

Smith has still not rectified the mistakes that cost us in the January defeat. Our plan B back then was to move Papac up front and aimlessly hope for some sort of break, today it was Dailly.

At kick off for extra time (second half I think) we started with only two players on the ride hand side of the pitch, everyone of our strikers was over on the left, WTF. It all seems a bit clueless to me.

Fucking sick. :anguish: People shouldn't confuse ferguson wanting it and battling with him playing well.Ferguson was hopeless terrible passing.Smith is a dinosaur.To lose a game with bad luck ok or having all your players out but we lost that game because of bad team selection .that is not on.

Today we lacked

Compsure.no one took there time on the ball

Width. everything was predictable

something to hit upfront so the ball would stick. Lafferty should be up top all game.we've spend alot of money on strikers we should have a good mix up front but we don't

Why are we playing dailey ahead of edu.Point in that ? edu better player and daily is done best start blooding edu now

Get rid of ferguson get rid of smith .Start A fresh.Something stinks at ibrox.something is rotten to the core. IMHO as good as it was the uefa cup run has papered over the long term cracks at ibrox.

Rangers: McGregor, Whittaker, Weir, Broadfoot, Papac, Davis, McCulloch (Dailly 82), Ferguson, Mendes, Miller (Novo 58), Lafferty (Boyd 76).

Subs Not Used: Alexander, Edu

from that 16 .l would of gone with

--------------------------------McGregor----------------------

---------------------------Papac----Weir--Daily-----------

-----------Broadfoot--------------------------------------Whittaker

-------------------------Mendes---Edu----Davis-------------------

---------------------Novo-------------------Lafferty---------------

bench ferguson alexander Mculloch miller body .l think walter smith needs to look at the england sqaud of the last few years some good players but trying to fit all your good players in at the expense of them linking well up is the wrong way to go.Medes and fergie can't play tgt.

Smith has still not rectified the mistakes that cost us in the January defeat. Our plan B back then was to move Papac up front and aimlessly hope for some sort of break, today it was Dailly.

Exactly. The only way we were going to score in Extra Time was from a defensive mistake or a lucky break of the ball.

To see Christian Dailly come on at centre midfield in a cup final against Celtic was one of the worst moments of my year, if not my life. Awful.

i dont understand why he took off lafferty the guy was having a great game

i am so pissed off right now :anguish::anguish::anguish::anguish:

Lafferty and Ferguson were our best players today.

ferguson?????????????

did you have the 2001 scottish cup final on by mistake?

:D:D:D

The OP is pretty much spot on.

I have never seen a Rangers team so devoid of ideas.

I have never seen a manager take off his best player when needing goals and a striker too. (Lafferty.)

I have never seen such a horrendous bench which guaranteed us no width.

Can we not pass the ball forward? Can the ball not stick to any of our strikers?

Our fullbacks also look shaky defensively.

Our two CHs were so slow too.

Our midfield was horrendous.

Not a good day!

Personally i think there has been a total overeaction.

Todays game was a very even contest and could have went either way.

Both teams had chances throughout the game and Boruc was probably the most worked keeper.

Unfortunately we fell asleep at a set-piece and that unfortunately proved to be the crucial point in the match.

It's not all doom and gloom though as certain fans may have you believe. We're only three points behind Celtic in the league having previously been eight points behind and i'm more than confident we can eventually overtake them and clinch the title, and the Scottish cup is in the bag.

Stay positive folks there's still alot to play for this season.

In the last 3 games against celtc we have been on the park for a total of 313 minutes - in that time we have had 11 shots on target and the closest to scoring was a deflected diving header off Caldwell head (or it might have been McManus?)

Do one Wally.

In the last 3 games against celtc we have been on the park for a total of 313 minutes - in that time we have had 11 shots on target and the closest to scoring was a deflected diving header off Caldwell head (or it might have been McManus?)

Do one Wally.

We miss Cousin in these derbies. I can just remember him tearing apart Celtic's defence back in August. If only he'd had the right attitude he could have been a fantastic player for us.

Do one Wally.

We miss Cousin in these derbies. I can just remember him tearing apart Celtic's defence back in August. If only he'd had the right attitude he could have been a fantastic player for us.

I think we have a player like Cousin in the Squad, still young and needs to add bulk/muscle, but Lafferty can do this job for us.

Christain Dailly coming on before our £2.7m summer signing and people wonder why we are in so much debt - Wally Smith is a fukn idiot.

Wally took a squad of 16 to Hampden today, that squad did not include one single winger.

He is killing us. I'll not be back until Wally has gone so if that means not going back next season, then so be it.

Christain Dailly coming on before our £2.7m summer signing and people wonder why we are in so much debt - Wally Smith is a fukn idiot.

Wally took a squad of 16 to Hampden today, that squad did not include one single winger.

He is killing us. I'll not be back until Wally has gone so if that means not going back next season, then so be it.

He is turning us into a very boring predictable team Muff, we struggle to break down so many teams that play 4-5-1. Perhaps that is why GS changed his team.

Thats totally up to you m8 your entitled to do what you believe is right and at this time it may be for the best.

We need our support to get behind the team and management 100% as these next couple of months are going to be crucial.

Personally i'll be there supporting the boys fullly 100% right to the final whistle. There's a league title there to be won and i want to be a part of it.

Good, honest and concise post Muff.

I honestly did a double take when Dailly came on, why on God's green earth was Edu not brought on?

WS may not have lost the dressing room but after another spineless, clueless showing i can truly say he's losing the majority of the supporters.

We create absolutely nothing either centrally or from wide areas and WS must see this - everyone else does.