Realistic suggestions for Rangers next manager

Tontospal

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the way he's transformed The Posh? Amazing change in the style of play and players determination. They aren't as well backed financially as you say either.

I base my claim about his management skills on what I've heard from his players. George Boyd and Aaron McLean were on the radio yesterday talking about him, talking about his man management skills. There was also a huge piece about him in 4-4-2 last month - to say it was impressive doesn't cover it.

Anyway Tonto, you're suggestion of Levein, Calderwood or Jeffery is absolutely laughable. In his short time as a manager, Darren Ferguson has already proved himself better.

Do you not remember Levein failing in England? Compare that to Ferguson taking to it like a duck to water and you'll see what I mean. If you asked ANY chairman in Britain just now who they'd rather have, every single one would take Ferguson before any of the three diddies that you suggested.

Ferguson would never have even gotten that job if it wasn't for who his father is.

Amazing change in the style of play - before he took over Peterborough were a joke club, which was never emphasised more than the Ron Atkinson SKY programme.

Of course those players are going to say good things about him - he took them from non-league and gave them their chance. Granted thay have taken it and are playing well.

The article in 4-4-2 was a 1/2 page effort by a Henry Winter IIRC - hardly anything to get too excited about.

Also, the lower 2 divisions in England are of poor quality and most teams are very inconsistent. Remember he hasn't even won a trophy yet.

Granted Peterborough are on a good run just now but there is still some football to be played and they still have to play Millwall away which could be an automatic promotion decider.

You talk about laughable. To appoint a manager who has 2 years of experience in the lower leagues of English football but has never won anything surely qualifies as laughable?

As for your assertion that he isn't that backed financially - well that's just nonsense. He's been able to sign players and keep the team together because the chairman is bankrolling the team. No other team in those 2 leagues could afford to knock back the offers that have been made for the keeper and the 3 forwards (including Boyd).

As for the diddies - Smith struggles against Levein and Calderwood. Indeed, ]Levein has transformed Dundee Utd after years of underachievement whilst Calderwood's league record at Dunfermline and Aberdeen has been impressive given the resources at his disposal.

As for Jeffrey I was interested in the reaction but he has proven at Linfield he is a winner - the question is can he do it at a higher level?

Finally, when Levein was at Leicester he joined a club in financial difficulties and it was the wrong time for him to go there.

I would be more than happy with Darren Ferguson at the helm, he has made a terrific start to his managerial career and has really made everyone sit up and take notice of Peterborough.

You could also bet your bottom dollar that he would have a decent scouting system in place and that his man-management could possibly let us see the best in guys like Beasley. He definitely seems like a manager that players really want to play for.

Furthermore, it would do no harm to have a quite significant contact at Old Trafford for any transfer dealings.

Darren Ferguson has no knowledge or experience of Scottish football yet you mention David Jeffery - I don't understand that one?

Jeffrey has won 24 trophies in 12 years, including 6 titles in the last 9 seasons.

I didn't say he was my first choice but he has more experience than Ferguson over a longer period.

If he's that good a manager then why is he still at Linfield?

Just another Stephen Kenny and I cannot believe you mentioned Jimmy fucking Calderwood in the same sentence as Rangers manager. He can't even pick his own nose.

What about Calderwood's record against Smith at Pittodrie then?

Have you seen the way he's transformed The Posh? Amazing change in the style of play and players determination. They aren't as well backed financially as you say either.

I base my claim about his management skills on what I've heard from his players. George Boyd and Aaron McLean were on the radio yesterday talking about him, talking about his man management skills. There was also a huge piece about him in 4-4-2 last month - to say it was impressive doesn't cover it.

Anyway Tonto, you're suggestion of Levein, Calderwood or Jeffery is absolutely laughable. In his short time as a manager, Darren Ferguson has already proved himself better.

Do you not remember Levein failing in England? Compare that to Ferguson taking to it like a duck to water and you'll see what I mean. If you asked ANY chairman in Britain just now who they'd rather have, every single one would take Ferguson before any of the three diddies that you suggested.

Ferguson would never have even gotten that job if it wasn't for who his father is.

Amazing change in the style of play - before he took over Peterborough were a joke club, which was never emphasised more than the Ron Atkinson SKY programme.

Of course those players are going to say good things about him - he took them from non-league and gave them their chance. Granted thay have taken it and are playing well.

The article in 4-4-2 was a 1/2 page effort by a Henry Winter IIRC - hardly anything to get too excited about.

Also, the lower 2 divisions in England are of poor quality and most teams are very inconsistent. Remember he hasn't even won a trophy yet.

Granted Peterborough are on a good run just now but there is still some football to be played and they still have to play Millwall away which could be an automatic promotion decider.

You talk about laughable. To appoint a manager who has 2 years of experience in the lower leagues of English football but has never won anything surely qualifies as laughable?

As for your assertion that he isn't that backed financially - well that's just nonsense. He's been able to sign players and keep the team together because the chairman is bankrolling the team. No other team in those 2 leagues could afford to knock back the offers that have been made for the keeper and the 3 forwards (including Boyd).

As for the diddies - Smith struggles against Levein and Calderwood. Indeed, ]Levein has transformed Dundee Utd after years of underachievement whilst Calderwood's league record at Dunfermline and Aberdeen has been impressive given the resources at his disposal.

As for Jeffrey I was interested in the reaction but he has proven at Linfield he is a winner - the question is can he do it at a higher level?

Finally, when Levein was at Leicester he joined a club in financial difficulties and it was the wrong time for him to go there.

Henry Winter is the best journalist about, but it wasn't his piece.

Nonetheless, are you suggesting that we shouldn't employ a manager with no SPL experience? If that's the case, our options are severely limited and neither of the three you chose are close to being good enough for Rangers.

Ferguson will no doubt be a Premiership manager in five years time. No doubt his dad has a big bearing on his reputation, but fuck me, if Sir Alex is your dad then why wouldn't you take tips from him?! :blink:

To suggest that Levein or Calderwood are good enough to be Rangers manager because Smith 'struggles' against them defies belief. Smith seems to struggle against almost every team in the division except from Kilmarnock. From ICT to Celtic, Smith has 'struggled', so it's nothing to shout about.

You seem to have it in for Ferguson. Why, I don't know. As I said, he's been working in football all his days and is showing his class in a league that's similar to the SPL. Leicester and Peterborough would probably finish 3rd and 4th up here behind the Old Firm.

As Smith has shown, knowing the league inside out counts for nothing if your team plays a brand of utterly dross football.

What did Strachan know about the SPL when he took over? Probably about as much as Darren Ferguson knows.

Strachan had years of experience in the English Premier League before he went to celtc

And he's worked in football all his life. People seem to forget that.

So has Chick Young

As Smith has shown, knowing the league inside out counts for nothing if your team plays a brand of utterly dross football.

What did Strachan know about the SPL when he took over? Probably about as much as Darren Ferguson knows.

Strachan had years of experience in the English Premier League before he went to celtc

So has Chick Young

As I said, you've just got it in for Ferguson.

Anyone and their dog could see that he's one of the most promising young managers in England just now. For whatever reason, you refuse to accept it.

And hold on, you've said that Ferguson's lack of 'knowledge or experience of Scottish football' goes against him. What knowledge or experience did Strachan have with modern day SPL football?

He's Scottish? So is Ferguson. I can't see your reasons for not liking him. Smith has shown that experience and 'know how' don't count for much nowadays in the SPL.

A fresh, young and exciting manager is exactly what this club needs.

Henry Winter is the best journalist about, but it wasn't his piece.

Nonetheless, are you suggesting that we shouldn't employ a manager with no SPL experience? If that's the case, our options are severely limited and neither of the three you chose are close to being good enough for Rangers.

No, certainly not.

Ferguson will no doubt be a Premiership manager in five years time.

We'll see. I think he will be found out before then. Mark my words at some point he will crack under real pressure.

No doubt his dad has a big bearing on his reputation, but fuck me, if Sir Alex is your dad then why wouldn't you take tips from him?! :blink:

To suggest that Levein or Calderwood are good enough to be Rangers manager because Smith 'struggles' against them defies belief. Smith seems to struggle against almost every team in the division except from Kilmarnock. From ICT to Celtic, Smith has 'struggled', so it's nothing to shout about.

You seem to have it in for Ferguson. Why, I don't know.

Take it from me he does not have what it takes to manage a club like Rangers.

He has probably done enough in a short spell to ensure he gets a move to the Championship and maybe somone would take a chance after that but I'd be very surprised if he is managing in the Premiership in 5 years time.

As I said, he's been working in football all his days and is showing his class in a league that's similar to the SPL. Leicester and Peterborough would probably finish 3rd and 4th up here behind the Old Firm.

SO now the SPL isn't even on a par with the Championship - you are the first person who has taken it as low as the 3rd division in England. The quality of the bottom 2 divisions in England is poor. Most teams are struggling to get 5 figure crowds each week and I would say that at least 75% of the clubs are in real financial difficulties - as will become clear over the next 18 months.

Can you not reply normally?

Take it from you? No thanks, I'll use my own eyes and my own opinions. You must not see a lot of League 1, but it's at least of a similar standard to most of the SPL.

So has Chick Young

As I said, you've just got it in for Ferguson.

Anyone and their dog could see that he's one of the most promising young managers in England just now. For whatever reason, you refuse to accept it.

And hold on, you've said that Ferguson's lack of 'knowledge or experience of Scottish football' goes against him. What knowledge or experience did Strachan have with modern day SPL football?

He's Scottish? So is Ferguson. I can't see your reasons for not liking him. Smith has shown that experience and 'know how' don't count for much nowadays in the SPL.

A fresh, young and exciting manager is exactly what this club needs.

Ferguson got lucky on 3 accounts:

1) His father is the most successful manager of all time and the most influential figure in the Engliah game

2) He was looked over for the Wrexham job, which he deaparately wanted. If he had gotten that his managerial career would probably have been finsihed before it has started

3) He has been bankrolled by a chairman at a time when the majority of other clubs in the lower tiers are struggling like never before

what about gentleman ray wilkins

who richard gough recomended to sdm

when souness left

I'd take him faster than a chance to go to the local farmers market.

His dad isn't managing Peterborough, you don't seem to accept this. He's doing all the hard work there, so it's 100% credit to him.

We're going to need to agree to disagree here. I simply cannot see your reasons for wanting Calderwood or Levein over Ferguson, it's something that we could argue about all night.

But I'll repeat - even if it's not Ferguson, a fresh, young and fearless manager is exactly what this club needs. One that get tips from Sir Alex and/or share the Manchester United scouting network would be even better :pipe:

Can you not reply normally?

Take it from you? No thanks, I'll use my own eyes and my own opinions. You must not see a lot of League 1, but it's at least of a similar standard to most of the SPL.

What do you mean not reply normally?

Time will tell. One day you'll understand what I'm saying. I'm pretty confident of that. I'm not going to go in to any more details on a messageboard.

Unless you go to matches in England then we probably see the same amount of League 1 games.

Most of the teams are physical and the quality of the football is poor but I think fans of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd would fancy their chances of doing well against those teams.

Time will tell. One day you'll understand what I'm saying. I'm pretty confident of that. I'm not going to go in to any more details on a messageboard.

Sorry mate, can you please expand on this?

One day I'll understand? Are you trying to patronise me here by suggesting you know tons more than me about football?

His dad isn't managing Peterborough, you don't seem to accept this. He's doing all the hard work there, so it's 100% credit to him.

We're going to need to agree to disagree here. I simply cannot see your reasons for wanting Calderwood or Levein over Ferguson, it's something that we could argue about all night.

But I'll repeat - even if it's not Ferguson, a fresh, young and fearless manager is exactly what this club needs. One that get tips from Sir Alex and/or share the Manchester United scouting network would be even better :pipe:

His dad has more influence than anyone else in English football and believe me without that link he would never have got near the Peterborough job as his first manager's job.

I'm not disputing that he has done well and that he is responsible for that.

As for Levein, Calderwood etc I don't want them as manager but unfortunately, thanks to Murray and his financial mismanagement, that is the best I think we can expect. Noone knows what they could do at a club like Rangers. I agree the same could be said about Ferguson or anyone else.

Do you think Darren would get any more tips from his dad than Smith or McLeish?

As for links to Man Utd, even PLG had Martin and Bardsley on loan, so those links already exist.

His dad has more influence than anyone else in English football and believe me without that link he would never have got near the Peterborough job as his first manager's job.

I'm not disputing that he has done well and that he is responsible for that.

As for Levein, Calderwood etc I don't want them as manager but unfortunately, thanks to Murray and his financial mismanagement, that is the best I think we can expect. Noone knows what they could do at a club like Rangers. I agree the same could be said about Ferguson or anyone else.

Do you think Darren would get any more tips from his dad than Smith or McLeish?

As for links to Man Utd, even PLG had Martin and Bardsley on loan, so those links already exist.

Do I think Darren would get more tips from his dad? Of course he would! Hardly a deal clincher, but as I said, he's doing all the good work at the Posh himself.

As for the links to Man Utd, having two of their players on loan doesn't mean we have a link with them. Having the Man Utd manager's son would mean a bit more than that.

Nonetheless, I don't want him on the basis that he's Fergie's wee boy, I just totally respect what he's doing on his own.

One day I'll understand? Are you trying to patronise me here by suggesting you know tons more than me about football?

No, certainly not. I don't know how much you do or don't know about football and wouldn't patronise you even if I did.

My statement that One day you'll understand is alluding to the fact that in 5 years time you'll have a recollection of our exchange of views when you realise that Ferguson is not managing at Premier League level.

Perhaps I'll be wrong but I'm confident that he won't be.

No, certainly not. I don't know how much you do or don't know about football and wouldn't patronise you even if I did.

My statement that One day you'll understand is alluding to the fact that in 5 years time you'll have a recollection of our exchange of views when you realise that Ferguson is not managing at Premier League level.

Perhaps I'll be wrong but I'm confident that he won't be.

Ahh, in you're opinion of course.

He certainly has the tools to be a Premiership manager and, as we all know, five years is a LOT of time in football.