Realistic suggestions for Rangers next manager

Tontospal

Time will tell. One day you'll understand what I'm saying. I'm pretty confident of that. I'm not going to go in to any more details on a messageboard.

Sorry mate, can you please expand on this?

One day I'll understand? Are you trying to patronise me here by suggesting you know tons more than me about football?

No, certainly not. I don't know how much you do or don't know about football and wouldn't patronise you even if I did.

My statement that One day you'll understand is alluding to the fact that in 5 years time you'll have a recollection of our exchange of views when you realise that Ferguson is not managing at Premier League level.

Perhaps I'll be wrong but I'm confident that he won't be.

Ahh, in you're opinion of course.

He certainly has the tools to be a Premiership manager and, as we all know, five years is a LOT of time in football.

My opinion based on facts that I know, which I'm not going to post on here.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He certainly has the tools to be a Premiership manager and, as we all know, five years is a LOT of time in football.

Precisely. Look at Zola, five years ago he was still playing for Cagliari and had no managerial experience at all. Now he's doing a very good job in the Premiership with West Ham. It shows that young guys without years and years of experience can do it.

The chances of young Fergie improving as a manager with a further five years managerial experience under his belt are ridiculously high, and his path seems to lead to a job in the top flight.

Time will tell. One day you'll understand what I'm saying. I'm pretty confident of that. I'm not going to go in to any more details on a messageboard.

Sorry mate, can you please expand on this?

One day I'll understand? Are you trying to patronise me here by suggesting you know tons more than me about football?

No, certainly not. I don't know how much you do or don't know about football and wouldn't patronise you even if I did.

My statement that One day you'll understand is alluding to the fact that in 5 years time you'll have a recollection of our exchange of views when you realise that Ferguson is not managing at Premier League level.

Perhaps I'll be wrong but I'm confident that he won't be.

My opinion based on facts that I know, which I'm not going to post on here.

How do I know that?

Complete debate ender there Tonto :(

I was enjoying that mate!

I am going to get totally slaughtered for even suggesting this because he is one from the dark side.

Owen Coyle.

Doing a magic job at Burnley, has put lots of big teams out the cup this year so its not a one off,knows the Scottish game.

My ideal candidate would still be Martin Jol.

Levein, maybe, but he wouldnt be top of my list, I would accept him though, but Jimmy Calderwood? Pleaseeeeeeeeeee doh

Id rather have Slaven Bilic but I know theres no hope in hell of that happening

Billy Davies. In my opinion, he's the best manager Scotland have produced in ages. Very highy rated in England, served a very long apprenticeship at some middle of the road clubs, one of whom he got promoted to the Premiership against all odds. Would walk over coals to get the job at Ibrox and learnt a lot under Craig Brown at Preston.

I am going to get totally slaughtered for even suggesting this because he is one from the dark side.

Owen Coyle.

Where do you live? I'll come round and slaughter you myself for that suggestion. Why not just ask the fuckin Vatican to choose for us, or maybe Sinn Fein?

Guest therabbitt
Alan Irvine is a name I've heard on the grapevine...

Doing a good job at Preston NE, has worked with some good managers in his time and is a highly rated youth coach especially.

I wonder, should Irvine be given the job (if it even becomes available!) would there be an awful lot of disappointed bluenoses?

Would the masses realise that we will not get a big name manager and will need to look to someone with potential and a flair for bringing through youth?

I wonder, should Irvine be given the job (if it even becomes available!) would there be an awful lot of disappointed bluenoses?

Would the masses realise that we will not get a big name manager and will need to look to someone with potential and a flair for bringing through youth?

No doubt about it mate. Many fans would expect a big name but our budget and expectation levels are unrealistic in that regard.

Irvine interests me and while I can't comment on his progress at Preston, he is the calibre of manager we'll be looking for - young, decent reputation and cheap.

What a load of Horse shit , Martinez , D Ferguson ah mean get a grip ..................... and face reality there will be no change in manager unless we find a few million quid in some account SDM had forgotten about .

Win or loose the league we are stuck with smith and his circus clowns.

And given the current I want to sell noise from SDM what manager would want to take the job knowing a sale means new board and likely they would want there choice of manager , resulting in another potential big comp payment to the backroom team on the way out .

No doubt about it mate. Many fans would expect a big name but our budget and expectation levels are unrealistic in that regard.

Irvine interests me and while I can't comment on his progress at Preston, he is the calibre of manager we'll be looking for - young, decent reputation and cheap.

Pretty good shout I'd say. An up and coming manager is the way to go.

And given the current I want to sell noise from SDM what manager would want to take the job knowing a sale means new board and likely they would want there choice of manager , resulting in another potential big comp payment to the backroom team on the way out .

Indeed, the next change in manager should be when the chairman departs....if that is the summer or next so be it....

I think we are selling ourselves short, The Rangers job is one of the most prestigous posts around, if the position did become available the standard of applicant would be from near the top drawer, imo.

Of course it is. However we have to juggle reputations with cost and ability.

Guys like Van Gaal, Hitzfeld, M. Laudrup and Hiddink are all huge names but would any of them really want to come to a declining Rangers with little or no money to spend?

His dad isn't managing Peterborough, you don't seem to accept this. He's doing all the hard work there, so it's 100% credit to him.

We're going to need to agree to disagree here. I simply cannot see your reasons for wanting Calderwood or Levein over Ferguson, it's something that we could argue about all night.

But I'll repeat - even if it's not Ferguson, a fresh, young and fearless manager is exactly what this club needs. One that get tips from Sir Alex and/or share the Manchester United scouting network would be even better :pipe:

His dad has more influence than anyone else in English football and believe me without that link he would never have got near the Peterborough job as his first manager's job.

I'm not disputing that he has done well and that he is responsible for that.

As for Levein, Calderwood etc I don't want them as manager but unfortunately, thanks to Murray and his financial mismanagement, that is the best I think we can expect. Noone knows what they could do at a club like Rangers. I agree the same could be said about Ferguson or anyone else.

Do you think Darren would get any more tips from his dad than Smith or McLeish?

As for links to Man Utd, even PLG had Martin and Bardsley on loan, so those links already exist.

Do I think Darren would get more tips from his dad? Of course he would! Hardly a deal clincher, but as I said, he's doing all the good work at the Posh himself.

As for the links to Man Utd, having two of their players on loan doesn't mean we have a link with them. Having the Man Utd manager's son would mean a bit more than that.

Nonetheless, I don't want him on the basis that he's Fergie's wee boy, I just totally respect what he's doing on his own.

nigel worthington ,he plays fast direct football and has respect in the game and he's afraid of no one they have a go in every game ,more than walter will ever do ,remember spain germany and sats game against poland .no fear walter would have played one up front and maybe have got 2 draws ,nigel played 2 up front and got 3 wins.i know international football is different but if your phylosophy on football is correct anything is possible.

I cant believe how much our club has went backwards with some of the names being suggested as manager. The people running our club should be ashamed of the position that our club is now in, and all our absent bears must be turning in their graves.

I cant believe how much our club has went backwards with some of the names being suggested as manager. The people running our club should be ashamed of the position that our club is now in, and all our absent bears must be turning in their graves.

Mate,

Big names don't guarantee success - look at Advocaat and PLG. One brought good football and huge debts. The other brought dressing room fights and defeats against First Division teams.

Perhaps it is time to move towards someone with something to prove in the game. Turning around Rangers is a huge challenge - suitable budget or not. And if we are going with youth, then I hope we appoint a manager with a good record in that department.

How can it possibly be a reflection on the club because of ridiculous suggestions made on an independent MB....

Not long ago we managed to attract someone who had the reputation of being the best young manager in the world (sadly he wasn't) not bad for a club in such a state........

When we advertise the job again as said above we would be able to attract “big” names, I have no doubt about that, but whether that would be a road we want to go down again I don’t know…..

How can it possibly be a reflection on the club because of ridiculous suggestions made on an independent MB....

Not long ago we managed to attract someone who had the reputation of being the best young manager in the world (sadly he wasn't) not bad for a club in such a state........

When we advertise the job again as said above we would be able to attract “big” names, I have no doubt about that, but whether that would be a road we want to go down again I don’t know…..

The problem is we cant take a chance on a rookie manager as it will hand them another nine in a row, and no way do i want to go through that again. Bottom line is we must win the title this year, because failure could leave us in the wilderness for a long time.

The problem is we cant take a chance on a rookie manager as it will hand them another nine in a row, and no way do i want to go through that again. Bottom line is we must win the title this year, because failure could leave us in the wilderness for a long time.

But, as we've seen with Smith, experience doesn't always mean success either.

:(