Zak Whitbread

Sunderland and Scottish giants Rangers are on the trail of Millwall centre-half Zak Whitbread.

Whitbread has been in outstanding form this season to lead the Lions into the League One play-off final at Wembley later this month.

And Millwall could be prepared to listen to offers for the 25-year-old Texan, rated at £1.5 million.

They could let him go, replace him with Darren Purse - who has just been released by Cardiff - and use the money to strengthen other areas of the team..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-21366760/

Defender, Zak Whitbread

The last memory U.S. fans have of Whitbread on the national team was when he was part of the U.S. team's unsuccessful bid to qualify for the Olympics in 2004. At that time, Whitbread was a left back prospect who beat out eventual U.S. national team starter Heath Pearce for the role. After that, though, Whitbread fell off the radar after joining English Second Division side Millwall.

Five years later, Whitbread, 25, is one of the hottest prospects in the U.S. pool. He has helped lead Millwall to the brink of promotion to the League Championship, and he is being pursued by several higher-level clubs such as Sunderland and Glasgow Rangers. The 6-foot-2 central defender looks poised to grab the role as the U.S. team's No. 3 central defender behind Carlos Bocanegra and Oguchi Onyewu.

Sunderland and Scottish giants Rangers are on the trail of Millwall centre-half Zak Whitbread.

Whitbread has been in outstanding form this season to lead the Lions into the League One play-off final at Wembley later this month.

And Millwall could be prepared to listen to offers for the 25-year-old Texan, rated at £1.5 million.

They could let him go, replace him with Darren Purse - who has just been released by Cardiff - and use the money to strengthen other areas of the team..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-21366760/

Defender, Zak Whitbread

The last memory U.S. fans have of Whitbread on the national team was when he was part of the U.S. team's unsuccessful bid to qualify for the Olympics in 2004. At that time, Whitbread was a left back prospect who beat out eventual U.S. national team starter Heath Pearce for the role. After that, though, Whitbread fell off the radar after joining English Second Division side Millwall.

Five years later, Whitbread, 25, is one of the hottest prospects in the U.S. pool. He has helped lead Millwall to the brink of promotion to the League Championship, and he is being pursued by several higher-level clubs such as Sunderland and Glasgow Rangers. The 6-foot-2 central defender looks poised to grab the role as the U.S. team's No. 3 central defender behind Carlos Bocanegra and Oguchi Onyewu.

i like onyewu, but yeah, this boy has done well, maybe

everyone knows we need a centre half of quality maybe 2, despite weirs lack of pace, he will be missed.

was whitbread not on the books of fulham before millwall? is that the right player?

Can't say i know anything about him, I'll keep a eye out for him when he plays for Millwall in the League One play-off final.

wen he was at liverpool he was a feckin diddy :( hopefully hes better now hes got more experience, not saw him play for about 4 years

no way could we aford him if true

millwall would want at least 3 mill for him, especially since cardiff got 2+ mill for that tit loovens

If this is true then we could sign a lot better for the same price if we were to look a bit further

Zak Whitbread on his future

Monday, 25 May 2009

By Toby Porter

ZAK Whitbread has been linked with a £1.3million move to SPL champions Rangers - and will be playing Champions League football in nine weeks if he goes.

Find out his views on the future in tomorrow's South London Press.

Zak Whitbread on his future

Monday, 25 May 2009

By Toby Porter

ZAK Whitbread has been linked with a £1.3million move to SPL champions Rangers - and will be playing Champions League football in nine weeks if he goes.

Find out his views on the future in tomorrow's South London Press.

I wonder what they'll say about it.

He lacks a bit of pace but is hard as nails (as said above)

I heard from someone today that he's already been up to Glasgow, and, has been around both Murray Park, and, Ibrox.

I'd take Zak Whitbread, especially if it was for £1.3m - came through the ranks at Liverpool, and, grew up alongside Sami Hyppia. Hyppia worked with him a lot, and, took him under his wing.

Whitbread has grown into a pretty good left sided CB - he's strong, physical, reads the game well, good on the ball, decent distribution, and, brilliant in the air - I think he'd compliment Madjid Bougherra very well. He is pretty much like a younger version of Sami Hyppia!

There were even some rumours in Liverpool, and, on their forums, of Rafa Benitez going back for Whitbread as defensive cover, after Hyppia agreed a deal with Leverkusen.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this - Whitbread is streets ahead of the likes of Berra, Reynolds, and, Barr!

I heard from someone today that he's already been up to Glasgow, and, has been around both Murray Park, and, Ibrox.

I'd take Zak Whitbread, especially if it was for £1.3m - came through the ranks at Liverpool, and, grew up alongside Sami Hyppia. Hyppia worked with him a lot, and, took him under his wing.

Whitbread has grown into a pretty good left sided CB - he's strong, physical, reads the game well, good on the ball, decent distribution, and, brilliant in the air - I think he'd compliment Madjid Bougherra very well. He is pretty much like a younger version of Sami Hyppia!

There were even some rumours in Liverpool, and, on their forums, of Rafa Benitez going back for Whitbread as defensive cover, after Hyppia agreed a deal with Leverkusen.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this - Whitbread is streets ahead of the likes of Berra, Reynolds, and, Barr!

is there any fucking player you dont know about :P:lol:

I've not seen much of him, but he's in a different stratosphere to the player that have been linked with us in the past - such as the ones that Muff mentioned - when I actually have watched him.

If anyone is having any doubts over this guy,

all you need to remeber is that it's a Walter Smith defender.

He know's what he's doing.

If we get this guy I'm sure he'll be a gem.

:rangers: In Walter we trust :rangers: