Celtic Approach Roberto Martinez

Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez.

Swansea confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that the Scottish giants have asked to speak to Martinez about becoming Gordon Strachan's successor at Celtic Park.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez, one of British football's youngest managers at 35, has earned rave reviews for his handling of Swansea.

Promotion from League One was followed last season by a highly creditable eighth-place finish in their first year back at Championship level.

That success has been achieved through an exciting brand of attacking, skilful football that has seen the Spaniard linked with managerial jobs at the likes of Wigan and Real Sociedad, while Reading are also thought to be admirers.

Martinez is on holiday in Ibiza at the moment but Jenkins expects his prize asset to be back at the Liberty Stadium later this week.

"I'll probably speak to him [Martinez] between now and Wednesday but later on in the week he'll be back home to run through his thoughts with me," Jenkins added.

"First and foremost it's about his position here and how we see that, and we'll consider all that first before any sort of what else he may do.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the [scottish Premier] League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club.

"Naturally I suppose that interest would require anybody to sit and consider their position.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue.

606: DEBATE

His girlfriend is Scottish... he's getting married in the summer. Very worrying indeed

CarmarthenJack22

"Roberto has got to consider his future and where his commitment lies."

Martinez is no stranger to football north of the border, having played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, while his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Strachan, who left Celtic Park last week after four years at the helm, is believed to have recommended Motherwell's Mark McGhee as his successor.

Everton manager David Moyes has ruled out any return to Scotland at the moment.

But Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/8076867.stm

Swansea rejected it until the chairman has spoken to Martinez.

Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez.

Swansea confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that the Scottish giants have asked to speak to Martinez about becoming Gordon Strachan's successor at Celtic Park.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez, one of British football's youngest managers at 35, has earned rave reviews for his handling of Swansea.

Promotion from League One was followed last season by a highly creditable eighth-place finish in their first year back at Championship level.

That success has been achieved through an exciting brand of attacking, skilful football that has seen the Spaniard linked with managerial jobs at the likes of Wigan and Real Sociedad, while Reading are also thought to be admirers.

Martinez is on holiday in Ibiza at the moment but Jenkins expects his prize asset to be back at the Liberty Stadium later this week.

"I'll probably speak to him [Martinez] between now and Wednesday but later on in the week he'll be back home to run through his thoughts with me," Jenkins added.

"First and foremost it's about his position here and how we see that, and we'll consider all that first before any sort of what else he may do.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the [scottish Premier] League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club.

"Naturally I suppose that interest would require anybody to sit and consider their position.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue.

606: DEBATE

His girlfriend is Scottish... he's getting married in the summer. Very worrying indeed

CarmarthenJack22

"Roberto has got to consider his future and where his commitment lies."

Martinez is no stranger to football north of the border, having played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, while his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Strachan, who left Celtic Park last week after four years at the helm, is believed to have recommended Motherwell's Mark McGhee as his successor.

Everton manager David Moyes has ruled out any return to Scotland at the moment.

But Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/8076867.stm

Swansea rejected it until the chairman has spoken to Martinez.

Cheers bud seen it on SSN & Then tryed to find a link ;)

Celtic have apparently made an official approach to Swansea City for their manager Roberto Martinez, came up on the Evening Times scroll bar.

Celtic seek talks with Swansea's Roberto Martinez over vacant manager job

CELTIC have stepped up their quest to find a new manager with a request to speak with Swansea boss, Roberto Martinez.

SportTimes understands Martinez is one of a number of candidates the Parkhead club are interested in, but Burnley boss Owen Coyle is still their No.1 choice.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins today confirmed: "I had a call off their chief executive Peter Lawwell making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto.

Martinez, 35, has earned plaudits for his leading of Swansea up from from League One to a creditable eighth-place finish in the Championship this season.

His brand of attacking football has already seen the Spaniard linked with jobs at Wigan, Reading and Real Sociedad.

Martinez will return from holiday in Ibiza on Wednesday and Jenkins expects his manager to consider his options carefully.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the Scottish Premier League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club," Jenkins said.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue."

Martinez played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, and his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Everton manager Davie Moyes, however, has delivered bad news to the host of Celtic fans who had voted him their No.1 choice to succeed Strachan.

The former Hoops defender has answered an enquiry from Parkhead with a definite: Thanks, but no thanks.

"There may well have been," was his answer when it was put to him there had been interest from Celtic. But he confirmed without any hesitation that the position was not one he wanted to take up.

West Brom today repeated that they have received "no official approach" from Celtic for in-demand manager Tony Mowbray.

I think he's a good young manager, but will he be ready for such a big job?

I don't think he's quite ready just yet but as Pep Guardiola has shown, you don't have to have a great deal of experience to be sucessful. Mind you, the calibre of players Guardioloa has to work with compared to the players at Celtic, theres a big difference.

Also if Martinez comes in, theres a good chance he could bring in Jason Scotland, Angel Rangel and Jordi Gomez who alot on here rate. I really can't decide if he'd be good manager at Celtic or a bad one. Let's just hope it's the latter.

Martinez is a manager who I have a lot of time for, and I hope he doesn't go there for the simple reason that I don't want to hate him.

Likewise.

I rate him highly and (like some on here) I won't pretend that I don't because Celtic are linked with him.

On the same day that we're offering Weir a new contract, they're after one of the best young managers in Britain. I'm a bit concerned in all honesty.

He has knowledge of British football and an extensive contacts list abroad. Some of the players he got to play for Swansea - with all respect - he simply had no right to get.

I hope he goes to Wigan though because like you, I don't want to hate him.