Union flag display

wertp72

What has 'Blowing Bubbles got to do with a Hammers match?

Forever Blowing Bubbles was first sung at Upton Park because a player looked a lot like the person on the famous painting 'Bubbles' 'Bubbles' by Sir John Everett Millais.

This conclused our lesson for today.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has 'Blowing Bubbles got to do with a Hammers match?

Forever Blowing Bubbles was first sung at Upton Park because a player looked a lot like the person on the famous painting 'Bubbles' 'Bubbles' by Sir John Everett Millais.

This conclused our lesson for today.

Excellent.

Every day's a learning day.

I had presumed it was about bestiality and oral sex, like 'Muffin The Mule'.

"Im proud of my country

Ive served my country

I will celebrate my country's birth.

Just like the Americans do on Independence Day.

And no PC Brigade....or jump on the "offended bus" will stop me"

===========

Think the point the guy is making is , what has politics got to do with a Rangers match?

That was my first thought too. However, on reading the post just above yours, I now think the poster is asking "If we can fly the Union flag at Ibrox and celebrate something that is essentially related to a political/historical event, why can't we sing songs related to other political/historical events?"

"Im proud of my country

Ive served my country

I will celebrate my country's birth.

Just like the Americans do on Independence Day.

And no PC Brigade....or jump on the "offended bus" will stop me"

===========

Think the point the guy is making is , what has politics got to do with a Rangers match?

That was my first thought too. However, on reading the post just above yours, I now think the poster is asking "If we can fly the Union flag at Ibrox and celebrate something that is essentially related to a political/historical event, why can't we sing songs related to other political/historical events?"

Thank you.

who gives a stuff.

flying a stupid wee flag for christ sakes man grow up.

Everything has to have an alternative motive with us, its pathetic !!!!!

all this guff about parliment and westminster etc ...ITS A DISPLAY...YOU ARE FLYING A WEE FLAG...!!!!

Spot on.

They do card and flag displays because they are a fantastic sight to behold. Nothing else.

On Follow Follow, they made a specific link between the display and celebrating the Act of Union. And to be honest in Scotland at present the Act of Union is a political issue. In reality, a small group of people are trying to hijack a Rangers European game to further their own political ends. It's no coincidence that the editor of Follow, follow, who is also a leading figure in the RST is also a leading figure in the Scottish Unionist Party.

I have no problem celebrating the historical British identity of our club but by linking it to the Act of Union, we will simply divide Rangers fans, many of whom - as can be seen from this site - support the idea of Scottish independence.

On Follow Follow, they made a specific link between the display and celebrating the Act of Union. And to be honest in Scotland at present the Act of Union is a political issue. In reality, a small group of people are trying to hijack a Rangers European game to further their own political ends. It's no coincidence that the editor of Follow, follow, who is also a leading figure in the RST is also a leading figure in the Scottish Unionist Party.

I have no problem celebrating the historical British identity of our club but by linking it to the Act of Union, we will simply divide Rangers fans, many of whom - as can be seen from this site - support the idea of Scottish independence.

A good arguement until you realise the SNP wish to retain the monarchy

Then you realise what we are celebrating is the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union which created our British identity.

Furthermore to suggest that this site or any other Rangers site is reflective of the Rangers support is erroneous.

A good arguement until you realise the SNP wish to retain the monarchy

Then you realise what we are celebrating is the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union which created our British identity.

Furthermore to suggest that this site or any other Rangers site is reflective of the Rangers support is erroneous.

The issue of one monarch for Scotland and England pre-dates the Act of Union, so I don't see the relevance of that point.

I also think there is a big difference in the historical Britih Identity of our club and the British identity that the 300th aniversary of the Act of Union celebrates. Jut like celebrating the history of the British labour novement doesn't mean you are celebrating the history of Britain.

Your final point is valid. The Rangers support is varried, so even more reason to avoid to try and rope them ALL in to a political celebration

not quite - as a random sample, this relatively new rangers forum woud provide a fairly indicative view of the RFC population as a whole. the number of representatives on here may have ti increase, however i thin you would fin dall other criteria of the people on this site woud satisfy many market research agendas.

The point is Lefty....the catalyst to these celebrations is the 300th Anniversary of the Act of Union.

i actually think the only point about rangers being linked to the brits is to give you sad twats something to argue about. scotland, by it's very name (alba, caledonia, whatever) is and always will be a nation in it's own right. it may go through spells of being collonised by infiltrates, but ultimately the country is determined by the people who inhabit it - primarily scots - or old english farts too old to procreate and therefore dont matter anyway. scotland is a natio in it's own right. Britain is a collection of nations, not a nation by itself and certainly not a continent.

thank god we had good old british players who helped us win our nine in a row. :pipeguy:

by which of course you mean a collection of scottish, english, northern irish etc players - not to mention of course the swedes, danes, germans, fins, french, americans, italians etc.

correct but we did have english players who helped and i dont understand why people are not proud of being british although they are entitled to their opinion and i respect that.

thank god we had good old british players who helped us win our nine in a row. :pipeguy:

by which of course you mean a collection of scottish, english, northern irish etc players - not to mention of course the swedes, danes, germans, fins, french, americans, italians etc.

correct but we did have english players who helped and i dont understand why people are not proud of being british although they are entitled to their opinion and i respect that.

Because being British means different things to different people. If it is the contribution of ordinary British people to things as diverse as forming the first trade unions, fighting fascism and nazism in the 30s and 40s, and advancing science, engineering and art - count me in. If on the other hand, it's the jingoistic, rap yourself in the flag, talk about the empire and giving Johnny foreigner a seeing to - no thanks. Unfortunately, the Act of Union celebrations fall into the latter camp.

Because being British means different things to different people. If it is the contribution of ordinary British people to things as diverse as forming the first trade unions, fighting fascism and nazism in the 30s and 40s, and advancing science, engineering and art - count me in. If on the other hand, it's the jingoistic, rap yourself in the flag, talk about the empire and giving Johnny foreigner a seeing to - no thanks. Unfortunately, the Act of Union celebrations fall into the latter camp.

as long as your proud of all the british players who have played for our club.

not quite - as a random sample, this relatively new rangers forum woud provide a fairly indicative view of the RFC population as a whole. the number of representatives on here may have ti increase, however i thin you would fin dall other criteria of the people on this site woud satisfy many market research agendas.

Nonsense....there Ricardo...you gave this "sad twat" something to argue about

Perhaps for you...but for others its because of the many positives highlighted earlier in your statement.

On Follow Follow, they made a specific link between the display and celebrating the Act of Union. And to be honest in Scotland at present the Act of Union is a political issue. In reality, a small group of people are trying to hijack a Rangers European game to further their own political ends.

You really should try to inform yourself properly, it would stop you spouting such embarrassing nonsense.

In fact this has come about because a number of Rangers fans felt it would be appropriate to mark the 300th Anniversary of The Act of Union at Ibrox.

It was discussed at length on FF, what best to do and when (it was as likely to have been the Falkirk game as Hapoel, but there was consensus that it would be better to do it at a higher profile match). TBO approached the Club who agreed and I believe they contributed half the cost

There's a sticky on FF with a Paypal link and over £3,500 has been raised.

In reality nobody is hijacking anything, the aim from Day 1 has been to celebrate the Act of Union.

Guest orangpendek

we could get some indian children to make the flags in a sweatshop.

i'm sorry, i didn't quite realise it was a specific celebration of the union. i thought the idea was for a bit of atmosphere. having voted nationalist all my voting life, you'll excuse me if i sit this one out.