Union flag display

wertp72

This flag display to celebrate the union...............

What has it got to do with football? And Rangers?

I know we will hear "because Rangers are a British club?"

The union was formed long before football was a sport as we know it

so why celebrate it a football match?

And why, if there is a need to celebrate it, was there not a thing passed

in the scottish parliment to celebrate it or make it a day for everyone to celebrate?

Or in parliment in westminster?

I am not saying not to do it, I think it will look great with all the saltires

flying as well but why is the whole of Britain not celebrating it?

Is this another thing that British people are afraid to celebrate in fear of offending anyone?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who gives a stuff.

flying a stupid wee flag for christ sakes man grow up.

Everything has to have an alternative motive with us, its pathetic !!!!!

all this guff about parliment and westminster etc ...ITS A DISPLAY...YOU ARE FLYING A WEE FLAG...!!!!

who gives a stuff.

flying a stupid wee flag for christ sakes man grow up.

Everything has to have an alternative motive with us, its pathetic !!!!!

all this guff about parliment and westminster etc ...ITS A DISPLAY...YOU ARE FLYING A WEE FLAG...!!!!

Spot on.

They do card and flag displays because they are a fantastic sight to behold. Nothing else.

in the scottish parliment to celebrate it or make it a day for everyone to celebrate?

Is this another thing that British people are afraid to celebrate in fear of offending anyone?

The last line of you post just explains most of your questions. People in Britain nowadays are so bloody PC that it becomes hard for anyone to even celebrate the country in which they live. It is a disgrace.

And if we cannot celebrate it at a football match because the Union was formed first does that mean that none of us can celebrate it because it was formed before we were born? Of course not. It is about our roots, our history and traditions. We celebrate our Britishness because we are proud to be a part of it. The reason that not everybody celebrates it these days is because alot of people are being swayed down the road to separation and the rest don't wont to offend them.

Try telling the Spanish, French, Germans etc. that they cannot wave the flag of their nation because it may offend people who are living in that country but were not born there. They would tell you to fluck off. And rightly so.

What does Rangers have to do with the Union? Everything, my friend. Everything.

The last line of you post just explains most of your questions. People in Britain nowadays are so bloody PC that it becomes hard for anyone to even celebrate the country in which they live. It is a disgrace.

And if we cannot celebrate it at a football match because the Union was formed first does that mean that none of us can celebrate it because it was formed before we were born? Of course not. It is about our roots, our history and traditions. We celebrate our Britishness because we are proud to be a part of it. The reason that not everybody celebrates it these days is because alot of people are being swayed down the road to separation and the rest don't wont to offend them.

Try telling the Spanish, French, Germans etc. that they cannot wave the flag of their nation because it may offend people who are living in that country but were not born there. They would tell you to fluck off. And rightly so.

What does Rangers have to do with the Union? Everything, my friend. Everything.

great post mate. (tu)

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it many times again, for some of us Rangers will always be more than a Football Club.

Things like this are what makes us so. Like the poppy embroidered on our jerseys for Remembrance.

Just because things aren't fashionable doesn't stop them being right.

It is the history and tradition of our Britishness, but nothing to do with football is it?

But if it is tradition and history to celebrate it, then why are fans being berated for other aspects of thier history and tradition at football?

I'm sure you know what I mean without going into it all? The stuff that uefa bans us from singing to start with.

I am not against the display, just looking for a good reason as to why history and tradition is accepted in one thing

but not in another?

I am just playing devils advocate here.

I understand what you are saying, and don't don't have aproblem with the display,

but on the other hand, the argument is, it has nothing to do with football.

"Im proud of my country

Ive served my country

I will celebrate my country's birth.

Just like the Americans do on Independence Day.

And no PC Brigade....or jump on the "offended bus" will stop me"

===========

Think the point the guy is making is , what has politics got to do with a Rangers match?

It is the history and tradition of our Britishness, but nothing to do with football is it?

But if it is tradition and history to celebrate it, then why are fans being berated for other aspects of thier history and tradition at football?

I'm sure you know what I mean without going into it all? The stuff that uefa bans us from singing to start with.

I am not against the display, just looking for a good reason as to why history and tradition is accepted in one thing

but not in another?

I am just playing devils advocate here.

I understand what you are saying, and don't don't have aproblem with the display,

but on the other hand, the argument is, it has nothing to do with football.

Yes, but there is a difference between both of these parts of our history. One of them is simply celebrating our country and the other is singing about killing people. There is a difference, no? That is why it is accepted in one thing and not others. Some parts of our club's history are not desirable but this is certainly not one of them.

We are an all British club. We play in Scotland, took our name from and English rugby team and our founders were descendants of Irish Migrants. That to me suggests that we are British but i can see where you are coming from here.

"Im proud of my country

Ive served my country

===========

Think the point the guy is making is , what has politics got to do with a Rangers match?

What Politics ?

Its my country's 300th birthday.

"Im proud of my country

Ive served my country

===========

What has 'bluebells are blue' got to do with a Rangers match?

What has 'Rule Britannia' got to do with a Rangers match?

What has 'GSTQ' got to do with a Rangers match?

What has 'YNWA' got to do with a Liverpool match?

What has 'the soldier song' got to do with a sellick match?

What has 'the boys of the old brigade' got to do with a sellick match?

What has 'The Halls of Montezuma' got to do with a Killie match?

What has 'Blowing Bubbles got to do with a Hammers match?

Let's ban them all.

To split hairs, its the anniversary of your country(Scotland) joining with a neighbouring country to become a nation.

Simple point alot of fans will say, if you want to celebrate it, go out into the streets and have a big knees up.

To split hairs, its the anniversary of your country(Scotland) joining with a neighbouring country to become a nation.

Simple point alot of fans will say, if you want to celebrate it, go out into the streets and have a big knees up.

Yes you are splitting hairs....300 years ago I was not born so Scotland was not my country.

I was born British...I have lived British and I will die British.

The football club I follow has chosen to celebrate my country's birthday....I would respectfully suggest if you have a problem with that you should write to SDM.

"Im proud of my country

Ive served my country

===========

What has 'bluebells are blue' got to do with a Rangers match?

What has 'Rule Britannia' got to do with a Rangers match?

What has 'GSTQ' got to do with a Rangers match?

What has 'YNWA' got to do with a Liverpool match?

What has 'the soldier song' got to do with a sellick match?

What has 'the boys of the old brigade' got to do with a sellick match?

What has 'The Halls of Montezuma' got to do with a Killie match?

What has 'Blowing Bubbles got to do with a Hammers match?

Let's ban them all.

Exactly.

That is my point of argument to it all but others say they are just songs or chants.

So why is ours banned? Why are we not telling uefa to stuff it if they are not going to ban

all things that have nothing to do with football?

And not all football fans worldwide sing "harmless songs/chants at football.

There is sectarinism/hate in their songs as well.

Also, the union flag has as much, nay, more bloody history than the protestant/catholic thing.

As with the spanish and germans and so on.

Don't gang up on me, it's good to see you all defend the display.

I am not against it myself.

Just a pity you can't take on uefa with the same fervour and gusto as you do on a keyboard.

Lets be honest here, the fans just can't sing right these days without a version of Hello Hello to warm them up. :)

Bear in mind thast there will be two flags on display tomorrow night in the crowd. The sdame two flags that we parade on the pitch before every game.

I am Scottish and I am British.

The Rangers have a rich tradition associated with being both British and Scottish.

This is a celebration of our club's background and is not a political statement nor is it an attempt to debase any7 othedrs.

Anyone who feels it impunes their integrity need not wave the flag.

Yes you are splitting hairs....300 years ago I was not born so Scotland was not my country.

I was born British...I have lived British and I will die British.

The football club I follow has chosen to celebrate my country's birthday....I would respectfully suggest if you have a problem with that you should write to SDM.

D'Artagnan, you are willing to accept the 51 Scottish league titles though, because as a football team we are Scottish. We also do though have every right to proclaim our britishness should we see fit, without being tarred yet again with the Bigot brush. Personally I don't give two hoots about Britishness because I feel Scottish, however like our unwashed cousins we should be allowed to show our feelings for our heritage, if that is what floats our boat.

This will surprise some folks but I am ok with the celebration - I have thougth about it a lot and even although I do not consider myself british, I am Scottish, and i also consider Rangers to be a Scottish club, if you look on our passports it does say United Kingdom (not british, incidentally)

And I realize that the club and maybe 50 per cent (a guess) of our fans are proud of that so sure, let them celebrate that with a card/flag display - Doesn't offend me at all.

Of couse, as long as the display is not hijacked by any group for political purposes - otherwise, I am fine with it