Walter has 1 hell of a problem

Walter has 1 hell of a problem

GERS CHIEF TO MAKE KEEPER DECISION

By Graeme Bryce, 18/07/2009

WALTER SMITH is running out of time as he makes his biggest decision of the summer - who is his No1?

Axed Allan McGregor has been told he starts the new campaign with a clean slate after he missed out on League and Cup glory by being dumped on the bench.

Neil Alexander came in for the shamed ex-Scotland keeper and did enough to suggest he could be the new No 1 as Rangers clinched the double.

But with the new season looming Smith, below, must decide whether to recall McGregor, 27 or stick with 31-year-old Alexander.

A return for McGregor would also represent a third kick-in-the-teeth for Alexander, who would find it hard to stomach starting the new campaign on the bench after twice coming to Gers' rescue in previous seasons.

It's a huge call for the Rangers boss who admitted: "We are in a fortunate position where we have got two good goalies and it will just be down to me to pick who I think is the best.

"That's always going to be difficult for the other one to accept, we'll just have to wait and see.

"It was difficult for Neil Alexander last season when he found he wasn't playing at the start of the campaign. But he's the goalie who has finished the last couple of seasons and played in cup finals and won the league, so he's had his fair number of games.

"As for Allan, he starts with a clean slate, that's all over and done with now.

"But it will just be down to me to pick whoever I think is best."

Smith said farewell to shamed ex-skipper Barry Ferguson last week as he sealed a £1.2million move to Birmingham.

That helped cash-strapped Gers slice a huge chunk off the Ibrox wage bill, but according to Ibrox insiders, Smith is only halfway through his task of slicing TEN players off his first-team squad.

Fergie, Brahim Hemdani, Christian Dailly and Graeme Smith have all moved on, clearing over £50,000-a-week from the pay-roll while Andy Webster has joined Dundee United on loan.

Smith added: "We'll not be bringing any new players in as it stands at the moment. We have said we have to sell players before we can buy. It's just something we have to adjust to.

"Losing the Setanta TV cash doesn't help either. These things are all involved in the finance that comes into your club, therefore it all has an effect.

"Even Barry's transfer doesn't allow us to bring anyone in, not at present. It does seem Manchester City appear to be in another world in England right now.

"They're buying a lot of top players and are having a push at breaking into England's top four clubs.

"It is an interesting scenario in England when you see another team trying to break into that group in the manner they have been doing.

"Davie Moyes has tried to take Everton there for the last few years and has done so in a totally different manner from Manchester City.

"So it will be interesting, they may have another two or three signings by the time they come to play us.

"Mark Hughes did exceptionally well as Blackburn boss, but people need to have the patience to allow a team to settle in.

"It's okayh to buy a number of players, as he will do between now and the end of August, but they have to have time to gel and become a team."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...n-McGregor.html

We really are fucked for money right now :anguish:

McGregor and Alexander should get a fair amount of games each in pre-season to decide who we go with

I feel that a quality keeper like McGregor should not be kept to the bench though

WALTER SMITH is running out of time as he makes his biggest decision of the summer - who is his No1?

Axed Allan McGregor has been told he starts the new campaign with a clean slate after he missed out on League and Cup glory by being dumped on the bench.

Neil Alexander came in for the shamed ex-Scotland keeper and did enough to suggest he could be the new No 1 as Rangers clinched the double.

But with the new season looming Smith, below, must decide whether to recall McGregor, 27 or stick with 31-year-old Alexander.

A return for McGregor would also represent a third kick-in-the-teeth for Alexander, who would find it hard to stomach starting the new campaign on the bench after twice coming to Gers' rescue in previous seasons.

It's a huge call for the Rangers boss who admitted: "We are in a fortunate position where we have got two good goalies and it will just be down to me to pick who I think is the best.

"That's always going to be difficult for the other one to accept, we'll just have to wait and see.

"It was difficult for Neil Alexander last season when he found he wasn't playing at the start of the campaign. But he's the goalie who has finished the last couple of seasons and played in cup finals and won the league, so he's had his fair number of games.

This stuck out for me: "But it will just be down to me to pick whoever I think is best."

I hope Alexander gets a run at the start of the season and McGregor is made to work for the spot. I think he would be a fantastic keeper if he sorted his attitude out but that's not going to happen if Walter dumps Neil for him again.

Keep Alexander no 1 for now. Much more reliable with balls coming in the air and much more of a professional than McGregor. Done nothing to warrant being dropped. Can't remember a mistake being made by him in the run in.

I much prefer McGregor, if we got £4m or more then i'd sell however.

I used to prefer McGregor, but when he was playing last season I wasn't too impressed, tbh. He didn't command his box at all, and looked really shaky on crosses. I'd sell him, Alexander is a perfectly good 1st choice keeper and McGregor should still have some value.

This stuck out for me: "But it will just be down to me to pick whoever I think is best."

sorry mate this topic is already running. http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116524

Not a problem, you do training, you do the stats, the keeper who performs best is the 1st choice.

Now stop stressing and looking for problems, this is professional football, they get paid. Injuries happen, both keepers will do what is needed and nobody will throw their toys out the pram.