Celtic secure defender Thompson

We should be scouring for defensive cover as well....saw today how desperately we need it :anguish:

Celtic have completed the signing of Stockport County's highly-rated teenage defender Josh Thompson.

Manager Tony Mowbray said he was delighted to have secured the services of the 18-year-old 6ft 4in centre-back.

"We see him as a young player with great potential and we look forward to working with him," Mowbray told the club website.

Thompson's former Stockport team-mates Curtis Jones, 17, and Michael Ordish, 16, have also moved to Celtic Park.

Mowbray is a long-time admirer of Thompson's and was tracking him while he was still in charge of West Brom. And the teenager was believed to have been interesting a host of English club.

Thompson, who made six appearances for Stockport last season, had been on trial at Manchester United, and attracted interest from Sir Alex Ferguson's son Darren, who is in charge of Peterbrough.

Mowbray has been keen to bolster his defensive options at Celtic, with captain Stephen McManus still some way away from a first-team return as he battles back from a knee injury.

Thompson will provide cover for Gary Caldwell, Glenn Loovens and Darren O'Dea.

BBC.co.uk/football

Guest The Brown Brogue

So they've signed some unknown coca-cola league youngster who will essentially be an under18/21 or reserve.

Who gives a flying f*ck?

We'll probably see little to nothing of him.

Most of these youngsters never make the grade. I'm trying to remember the young Carlisle defender we signed a good few years ago that was the next big thing but we never saw him in a first team shirt. Peter somebody I think

They picked up Greig Spence from Alloa too for 75k. I only know cos I know him...

And he's a huge Gers fan. Odd how these things work.

Did they aye? Never really rated him at all. He used to play in my school team when we were struggling for players. He was a couple years younger though. Very lightweight and was shocked when I heard he was getting starts at Alloa last season! He's definitely a big bluenose aswell.

I see someone mentioned Paul Reid earlier

He is my example whenever anyone gets too carried away wi these young boys 'plucked' from down south

Reid was England captain for his own age group. Died on his arse.

Besides if he was any good an EPL team would already be paying him 10k+ to play in the youth team !

They picked up Greig Spence from Alloa too for 75k. I only know cos I know him...

Can't be THAT big a fan.

To be fair though, if you play for Alloa and a big team like celtic come in with an offer you are going to take it.

HAHAHAHAAHAHA a big team! How could you play infront of people singing Go on home british soldiers! TFOA! PI PI P IRA? its fuckin bonkers! id love to sign for them run out pull ma top of to reveal a tshirt saying yer famine is over why dont you go home! f****n fucks! dont tell me oh hes a big bluenose! you do not play for that shite if your a big blue nose

any body we sign that age doesny get oot of Murray park until there sold at a loss 3 years later. got to be over 35 to get under Walter microscope i heard when they ban alcohol advertising that SAGA are going to step in as our new shirt sponsor

HAHAHAHAAHAHA a big team! How could you play infront of people singing Go on home british soldiers! TFOA! PI PI P IRA? its fuckin bonkers! id love to sign for them run out pull ma top of to reveal a tshirt saying yer famine is over why dont you go home! f****n fucks! dont tell me oh hes a big bluenose! you do not play for that shite if your a big blue nose

Laugh all you want but how are they not a big team? They regularly compete in europe (like Rangers) They win trophies nearly every season (like Rangers) and they are known throughout the world (like Rangers) So does that also mean Rangers are not a big team then....?

Rangers are WORLD RECORD HOLDERS! any team who sweep things away are not a big team! and dont you remember they were 2 hours or so from going bust. Big teams dont go bust

We are not in the best financial state ourselves tbh and just off the top of my head I can remember that Valencia were pretty fucked financially not too long ago.

Juno how do you know him? :lol:

I know him aswell lol