Would you agree/diasgree with this statement

OrangeBurn

Kris Boyd  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Kris Boyd is the best finisher is Scotland, but one of the worst Strikers in Scotland

• Agree
    • Disagree

Kris Boyd is the best finisher is Scotland, but one of the worst Strikers in Scotland.

I know it can be debated that it's a Strikers job to score, but I believe it's also their job to set up others, which Boyd never does.

Blanket statements are often dangerous and wrong, like this time where thats wrong.

:rolleyes: okay, very rarely does. I knew someone would try and pick out a wee flaw. Boyd will very rarely set up a goal.

Okay I will start off with the stats for this season:

168 mins played

3 goals scored

1 assist

I would say that’s pretty impressive!

If we look at last season and compare him to say Miller (who would be considered by most as a team player) or Mendes (who is a creative midfield player) and see how he fairs.

Miller had 45 starts scored 17 times and had 10 assists

Boyd had 44 starts scored 35 times and had 6 assists

Mendes had 43 starts scored 4 times and had 5 assists

I would say when you compare Boydie with any other players in the team his statistics are amongst the most impressive. If you take his assist stats in isolation, he is on a par with many other players within the team, who you would expect to have a far greater assist contribution. I defiantly think it’s a part of the game he has worked hard on in the last 18 months or so and it is unfair to say quote "he very rarely" lays on assists. I also remember several other instances last season were Boyd as you would say "laid it on a plate", for the likes of Miller, only for the chance to be wasted. So in fact this figure could have been greater if it were not for the finishing ability of our other strikers around him.

The statement above "I believe it's also their job to set up others", which refers to strikers, is one which has come into the game possibly through the media in the last several years or so and is one I partially disagree with. If you look back at the Coisty era he was never criticised to anywhere near the same extent as Boydie is and we all know that once he had the ball in the box there was never any way he was going to pass to any of his team mates. I believe a striker’s primary role is to score goals; it is primarily the midfields role (attacking midfield, wingers and the creative midfielders) to provide chances (assists) to the strikers.

I also strongly disagree to such statements, as for example "Boyd doesn’t contribute to the team" or "he’s a fat lazy whatever". I know you haven’t specified any of these statements but other members on RM have. Boyd provides one of the most vital components to the team and that’s a cutting edge, which ultimately allows the team to win games. I feel that there are different types of strikers. You will get ones (like Miller) that hold the ball up and provide assists for other team members and you will get ones (like Boyd), who provide the cutting edge for the team and get them goals. I think ideally both types should be present within the team and each should be equally valued.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kris Boyd is the best finisher is Scotland, but one of the worst Strikers in Scotland.

I know it can be debated that it's a Strikers job to score, but I believe it's also their job to set up others, which Boyd very rarely does.

It is contradictory

Boyd is the best striker in Scotland he has proved it for 4 yrs now :gerbad:

I'm amazed that some people don't think he's the best finisher in Scotland.

I know, a simple click on my signature picture and they'd change their minds :craphead:

Haha class. Is it not more than 102 now though (didnt take a note of who he last scored against in the clip)?

has everyone forgotten the 2007-2008 season where Boyd single handedly won us the League ans Scottish Cup double???????????????? watch them on Youtube and tell me hes shite you tube!!!!!!!!!!! That was directed at "Boyd haters"!!!!

I agreed, but only to a limited extent. His goalscoring ability is amazing, but he is far too lazy. If we could combine Millers energy with Boyd's scoring we would have some player

Lets c u score 30 goals a season then!!!! i dont care if he was a fat fuck he gets the job done!!!!!!!!!!

People always say hes a pro footballer he shud be fit. No other present pro footballer in the spl or even most in the epl get 30 goals a season.

I agreed, but only to a limited extent. His goalscoring ability is amazing, but he is far too lazy. If we could combine Millers energy with Boyd's scoring we would have some player

Lets c u score 30 goals a season then!!!! i dont care if he was a fat fuck he gets the job done!!!!!!!!!!

People always say hes a pro footballer he shud be fit. No other present pro footballer in the spl or even most in the epl get 30 goals a season.

:lol:

Possibly the worst kind of counter argument that can be used on Rangersmedia :lol:

I know it can be debated that it's a Strikers job to score, but I believe it's also their job to set up others, which Boyd very rarely does.

He's a striker and he finishes top goalscorer almost every year, he's not an attackin midfielder so why should we expect him to set people up ?

He's a striker and he finishes top goalscorer almost every year, he's not an attackin midfielder so why should we expect him to set people up ?

Can you imagine Kenny Miller took that sort of attitude towards Kris Boyd and stopped doing all his donkey work for him?

Can you imagine Kenny Miller took that sort of attitude towards Kris Boyd and stopped doing all his donkey work for him?

It's the type of player Miller is, he creates more than he scores. I don't think of Miller as an out and out striker. Boyd on the other hand is the classic striker and no-one should expect him to be a "creator" and to deem him one of the worst strikers in Scotland because of that is mental

Even better excuse to sell him? Thats his main contribution :P

Certainly coaching wise Scotland is years, maybe even decades, behind everyone that matters.

I'd disagree with that, having been involved with that for several years.

I've been involved with Primary School football for 4 years and the stuff we get from the SFA sometimes verges on the ridiculous. And once past primary school age there seems to be a mass reduction in the amount of kids that play in regular teams. The better kids get selected and the average ones get dumped and don't have a chance to improve.

So in that respect Badger is correct.

Miller can be quite lazy when it comes to chasing the ball down off opposing players, dont get me wrong though, he will work harder with the ball at the feet and chase lost causes but boyd is almost always working just as hard if not harder to close down oppositions players when they have the ball

I think Boyd, like you said, has already showed he can do these things, he just doesnt do it enough, there were plenty of goals last season that were scored as a result of a boyd pass or a boyd knockdown which is just as effective as the assists, especially when he "never" jumps for the ball... he should be looking at the game at tannadice last season as a precedent

Miller can be quite lazy when it comes to chasing the ball down off opposing players, dont get me wrong though, he will work harder with the ball at the feet and chase lost causes but boyd is almost always working just as hard if not harder to close down oppositions players when they have the ball

I think Boyd, like you said, has already showed he can do these things, he just doesnt do it enough, there were plenty of goals last season that were scored as a result of a boyd pass or a boyd knockdown which is just as effective as the assists, especially when he "never" jumps for the ball... he should be looking at the game at tannadice last season as a precedent

You really think Boyd works as hard, if not harder, than Kenny Miller?

I really don't want to call you blinkered Eck, but that's an incredible claim to make.

This thread has become a farce vi sa vi Kris Boyd.

Simply put, Boyd in Scotland is a sensation. Stick him in Rangers 1st team every week and he will guarantee 30+ a season.

However, stick Boyd in the top flight of the Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, English, German and even Dutch leagues and he's a fuckin no-mark.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy while he plays for Rangers, but if he got transferred to Villareal, Inter Milan, Marseille, Benfica, Arsenal, Bayern Munich or PSV, he would not get a sniff cos he's a workshy son of a bitch that only wants to patrol 15% of the pitch. I understand why he enjoys the fulfillment he gets from his limited play, but I don't understand why he doesnt see why he cant become so much more than he is.

This thread has become a farce vi sa vi Kris Boyd.

Simply put, Boyd in Scotland is a sensation. Stick him in Rangers 1st team every week and he will guarantee 30+ a season.

However, stick Boyd in the top flight of the Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, English, German and even Dutch leagues and he's a fuckin no-mark.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy while he plays for Rangers, but if he got transferred to Villareal, Inter Milan, Marseille, Benfica, Arsenal, Bayern Munich or PSV, he would not get a sniff cos he's a workshy son of a bitch that only wants to patrol 15% of the pitch. I understand why he enjoys the fulfillment he gets from his limited play, but I don't understand why he doesnt see why he cant become so much more than he is.

Do you like anyone or anything about the Rangers? or do you masturbate to things being done ra shellick way?