Has Rothen given us the CL edge we needed?

Danny

Some of you may recall around May when we won the League and Cup double that when discussing our expectations of the new season, my minimal expectation, other than the league of course, was the last 16 in the CL. This wasn't expressed as hope, it was an expectation. However, I did provide the condition that we'd need a number of key additions to the squad like we did last summer, 2-4 good signings to ensure we achieved it.

As the window went on, these signings were rapidly disappearing from hope. Little concrete speculation about incoming, and plenty nightmares about our finer assets being sold. My last 16 demand was fading.

However, with the signing of Rothen, an experienced and well-respected player who not only gives us crucial CL experience (just like Prso did, and we made the last 16 thanks in part to him) plus his unquestioned ability (highlighted during his Monaco days) but the solution to the much publicised left midfield problem.

Likened to a left sided David Beckham, Rothen is being heralded as a truly impressive signing by most of us - someone we've not only heard of, but who is a France international during the time when they were actually the best national team around.

I don't claim he's as good as Beckham, or absolutely world class. Better sides than Blackburn and Schalke would have tried to sign him if he was. But he's a really, really fine signing in terms of what Rangers can expect to get these days.

Do you guys feel his experience and ability, if he is as good for us as we hope he will, can get us to the last 16, whereas before his signing such an ambition was a long shot?

If he finds his form of two years ago, then he can have a massive impact in the Champions League.

Over the last few seasons he has been a little bit off form, inconsistant, and, not really enjoying his football as much, for a few reasons. He was a bit of a hit or miss last season, but when he performed, he played well, and showed that he still has it. He played in a more central attacking role for PSG last season at times, and did pretty well.

Hopefully a new beginning at the biggest club in the World will rejuvinate him, and bring the best in him. He'll certainly bring some much needed width and balance to the team, whether it be on the left of a midfield four or front three, and his excellent delivery and passing ability is big bonus.

Thankfully he can mix it with the big boys, and can take a challenge, so there shouldn't be many lightweight posts surrounding him.

The Jerome Rothen of 2000-2005 was one of the most under-rated left sided players in Europe. He was regularly linked with big money moves which never materialised - he was absolutely explosive in the 2004/05 season, and if he can recapture some of that form, he'll be an excellent signing.

The type of signings I demand from Rangers. I didn't think it was going to happen this summer, but the club did well in bringing a player like Rothen to the club.

I was delighted with the signing and I believe he can make a difference for us not only in the SPL but also in Europe.

He is what we have been crying out for and he will give us a lot of new options.

We are horrible at set pieces at the moment despite having some big players, I think his crossing will get us a lot of goals this season which is something we need when playing the best teams in Europe. We need to capitalise on the chances we get and to now have a player who can deliver a ball and can beat a man makes us look a far more dangerous prospect.

I think we have a good chance of making the last 16 and I will be very dissapointed if we don't because a group like this doesn't come along often.

If he finds his form of two years ago, then he can have a massive impact in the Champions League.

Over the last few seasons he has been a little bit off form, inconsistant, and, not really enjoying his football as much, for a few reasons. He was a bit of a hit or miss last season, but when he performed, he played well, and showed that he still has it. He played in a more central attacking role for PSG last season at times, and did pretty well.

Hopefully a new beginning at the biggest club in the World will rejuvinate him, and bring the best in him. He'll certainly bring some much needed width and balance to the team, whether it be on the left of a midfield four or front three, and his excellent delivery and passing ability is big bonus.

Thankfully he can mix it with the big boys, and can take a challenge, so there shouldn't be many lightweight posts surrounding him.

The Jerome Rothen of 2000-2005 was one of the most under-rated left sided players in Europe. He was regularly linked with big money moves which never materialised - he was absolutely explosive in the 2004/05 season, and if he can recapture some of that form, he'll be an excellent signing.

The type of signings I demand from Rangers. I didn't think it was going to happen this summer, but the club did well in bringing a player like Rothen to the club.

Tbh I think we fluked it.

Hopefully he will, I think I think getting to the last 16 in 2005 was helped not only by PRSo's experience in CL but also Kyrgiakos and Rodriguez, big defenders with lots of experience, just concerned Big Davie will be targeted for close quarter 1-2s

I think the fans will give us the edge, personally.

We could say Rothen is giving us an edge on the playing field, but so is Kuzmanovic, Hleb, Pogrebnyak, Zokora and Negredo for our last 16 rivals, but I think the fans at Ibrox are what gives us the edge.

Very intimidating place for opposition players, they'll shit themselves when they hear us, they won't when they see Rothen, that's my point.

I believed we could make the last 16 before Rothen even joined, especially with the group we drawn against, so with the addition it only enhanced my confidence of us progressing.

Stuttgart away will give us a clear indication of how it's going to pan out for us, IMO.

Hopefully he will, I think I think getting to the last 16 in 2005 was helped not only by PRSo's experience in CL but also Kyrgiakos and Rodriguez, big defenders with lots of experience, just concerned Big Davie will be targeted for close quarter 1-2s

Kyrgiakos and Rodriguez were awful at times during our 2005/06 campaign. Both Porto goals at Ibrox were soft, and the Kyrgiakos/Waterreus débâcle in Bratislava still haunts me.

That said, I think big J-Rod was underrated during his time here.

Kyrgiakos and Rodriguez were awful at times during our 2005/06 campaign. Both Porto goals at Ibrox were soft, and the Kyrgiakos/Waterreus débâcle in Bratislava still haunts me.

That said, I think big J-Rod was underrated during his time here.

I liked J-Rod :D

we could have signed messi on a free danny mate, but the fact we havent upgraded the defence, and in all honesty have probably made it worse by releasing dailly, could be the defining factor of our season on a whole let alone the champions league

doesnt matter if we score 4 goals a game, if we lose 5

smith has always built his team from a solid backline, thats why i was so surprised we got an attacking midfielder instead of a defensive player

I really do not know as Rothen may be great or a bust. I truly hope the former. He certainly has great experience and has performed at a very high level in the past so that gives me hope.

Like some other posters my greatest concern is the defence. I think our fullbacks defensively are very poor and in Papac and Weir we have a severe lack of pace. My hope is that McCulloch and Thomson provide good cover and that we break fast from defence to attack. Mendes and Davis can have a big effect if they have some time on the ball.

Overall we can be very hopeful, but we are up against some very good teams. Let no-one underestimate our task.