Best team you have seen facing Rangers

Tumshie

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

==============================================================================

I,d have to agree with him and I,m definately showing my age. That Real team in the early 60s were the greatest club team ever. I,d love to have seen some of the teams others are writting about, though.

I was lucky enough to see that Real team in the St. Enochs hotel the next morning and got all their autographs.

i'll need to look out some of the old videos, way before my time. by god i though bluedignity was old...the st enochs hotel has been a brothel since 1960, and what were you doing there ? he he

==============================================================================

In the 60s, the old BEA air terminal was in St. Enochs Sq.

Thats where you went to get the coach to the airport. There were a bunch of us waiting on the coach when we saw a little midget crossing the road with a huge box under his arm. It was the great Gento the Real superstar. Being nosey bas***ds

we followed him into the hotel and the whole Real team were standing around waiting on their private coach. I,ve never been in the St. Enochs hotel again. The Rangers team used to use the hotel for their parties after a big game then. I remember being in the square with thousands of bears cheering and singing when the team came out on to the balcony with the Scottish cup after we beat Killie in the final (about 1962) It was not a brothel then but I,ll bow to your superior knowledge :ph34r:

Maybe not the best but I thought the Marseille side that we drew 2 -2 with were pretty fecking good! Nisbets wonder goal :D

They had pace, skill and were physically aggressive.

That was against Brugge mate.

Thats where you went to get the coach to the airport. There were a bunch of us waiting on the coach when we saw a little midget crossing the road with a huge box under his arm. It was the great Gento the Real superstar. Being nosey bas***ds we followed him into the hotel and the whole Real team were standing around waiting on their private coach. I,ve never been in the St. Enochs hotel again. The Rangers team used to use the hotel for their parties after a big game then. I remember being in the square with thousands of bears cheering and singing when the team came out on to the balcony with the Scottish cup after we beat Killie in the final (about 1962) It was not a brothel then but I,ll bow to your superior knowledge :ph34r:

What was in the box?

Thats where you went to get the coach to the airport. There were a bunch of us waiting on the coach when we saw a little midget crossing the road with a huge box under his arm. It was the great Gento the Real superstar. Being nosey bas***ds we followed him into the hotel and the whole Real team were standing around waiting on their private coach. I,ve never been in the St. Enochs hotel again. The Rangers team used to use the hotel for their parties after a big game then. I remember being in the square with thousands of bears cheering and singing when the team came out on to the balcony with the Scottish cup after we beat Killie in the final (about 1962) It was not a brothel then but I,ll bow to your superior knowledge :ph34r:

What was in the box?

Willie Henderson? Eusabios fabled illegitimate kid in Drumchapel? A box of Caramel Wafers? Of course in those days air travel was expensive so maybe they posted little midgets home?

Willie Henderson? Eusabios fabled illegitimate kid in Drumchapel? A box of Caramel Wafers? Of course in those days air travel was expensive so maybe they posted little midgets home?

Indeed, a box of Scottish delicacies to cheer up the folk of Madrid, bringing them decent food for a change.

Sadly before the days of deep fried Mars bars - imagine the storm they would have made in the Tapas bars?

No doubt there would be a goodly number of scotch pies, bridies, sausage rolls possibly even a few of the City Bakery's legendary rolls on mince. Of course some haggis....

You can stick yer bacalau up yer arse!

In another thread was discussing with Papaguy the Valencia side which came to Ibrox in 1999 and blew us away ]. In the end we only lost 2-1 but in the first half they ripped us apart with their slick passing and movement. To be honest if it was another team rather than Rangers being ripped to bits it would have been a pleasure to watch. Just wondering the best team uv seen at Ibrox

That Valencia side was one of the greatest sides of the modern era - the quality of their passing, movement, and attacking was absolutely incredible - the world underestimated them completely because they were 5th from bottom in La Liga. But Mendieta and co utterly tore the shit out of almost every side they played.

You have a good shout there sir.

I think an dishonourable shout, sadly, has to go to those dirty Juventus bastards as well, who I hate second only to Celtic. But they were unfortunately impossibly strong and made us look truly feeble. 4-1 was fairly unflattering to them.

Parma 1999.

Thuram, Buffon, Crespo, Baggio, Ortega, Cannavaro, Di Vaio...

unbelievable when you look at it that way, what a side.

then you look at juve with del piero, vialli, di livio, dechamps, ferrer.. at the time they must have had a fair % of the italy squad in there

Thats where you went to get the coach to the airport. There were a bunch of us waiting on the coach when we saw a little midget crossing the road with a huge box under his arm. It was the great Gento the Real superstar. Being nosey bas***ds we followed him into the hotel and the whole Real team were standing around waiting on their private coach. I,ve never been in the St. Enochs hotel again. The Rangers team used to use the hotel for their parties after a big game then. I remember being in the square with thousands of bears cheering and singing when the team came out on to the balcony with the Scottish cup after we beat Killie in the final (about 1962) It was not a brothel then but I,ll bow to your superior knowledge

What was in the box?

;)

Didn,t ask him! But I doubt if he would have understood anyway. I remember well that Puskas tried to start a conversation with us (he was a real gentleman) He tried about 4 languages but none we could answer.

We were from Belfast. WE were still having problems with English.