Tonights Team Selection

cnicholl2910

Morning champions :happy:

Just before I attempt to do some work...thinking about tonights game....I know we all want to win and we should be wanting to win every game @ ibrox but for me, a point would be a good result considering we are playing the top team in our group.

Think we all know that walter will be playing for the draw and I was jsut wondering everyone's opinion on selection and instruxctions to the team.

Mcgregor

Back 4 off Boogie, Weir, Papac and whitt, with thomson just sitting in front of them. Severe instructions to whitt and papac not to allow the wingers any chance to get the ball into the box...on top of them all the time...never get caught out of position and shut them down all night.

Thomson will need to have the energy in front of the defence to cover all and track the runners from their midfield with pedro and david running constantly aswell.

Now I would go with novo on the right and rothen on the left for an attacking option too when we are going forward but they both need to work their arse off for the entire time covering their full-backs and helping whitt and papac...make them play the ball and dont allow their fullbacks time on the ball to cut us open..

Miller upfront explains itself with this formnation

I would leave mcculloch out but watty wont and this will mean thommo moves up with mendes, mcculloch in the sitting role and davisd on the right :drool:

Thoughts?

Big Lee legend has had a decent start to the year, but he's simply not mobile or 'subtle' enough to cope with one of the best three sides in La Liga.

He should be nowhere near it tonight, because we don't need another sending off.

My team would be

McGregor

Whitty

Boogie

Weir

Papac

Davis

Thommo

Mendes

Rothen

Miller

Boyd

Yes i'd go 4-4-2 and have a go,we're at home and with that midfield we can cause problems.Thommo can also slot in to shore up at the back and we have good delivery from Rothen to get to Boyd...

Novo on the bench to run at tired legs should we need him and McCulloch there too to throw the ball back if in a hurry but keep that tit aff the park.

There's not a chance that he'll go anything other than 4-5-1.

And we'll probably start off poorly, give away a cheap goal then start playing our way back into it.

If we do go one down though, I can see Sevilla getting a bit complacent and that might suit us.

We dont have the quality or know how to beat this mob i just hope we dont take a right fucking doing.

We shouldn't have had the quality or know how to beat Stuttgart, Lyon, Fiorentina, Werder Bremen etc etc...

Hell, we shouldn't even have done Man City in that pre-season game I was at a few months back, if we're judging purely on quality.

Have more confidence man :pipe:

There's not a chance that he'll go anything other than 4-5-1.

And we'll probably start off poorly, give away a cheap goal then start playing our way back into it.

If we do go one down though, I can see Sevilla getting a bit complacent and that might suit us.

There is a very good chance that it may pan out that way....

I just want to see every one of players up for 110% and get in their faces and let them know that they are in a game even though they are far superior technically.... lets play to our skills and not let them pass us off the park....

I really do believe if we give them it rough tonight and dont stop....they may jsut take the pedal off, especially wiht madrid this weekend for them and they may be thinking they still have stuttgart, us at home and the romanians away to pick up nine points...

In Europe I find it odd when people criticize Smith's tactics. It's not the most beautiful football ever played, but you can't deny he knows how to get results.

Except for Lyon at Ibrox :anguish:

A lot of the time Smith's European tactics have relied on luck.

So do most managers, to be fair.

In Europe I find it odd when people criticize Smith's tactics. It's not the most beautiful football ever played, but you can't deny he knows how to get results.

When you are going up against better teams you need a bit of luck. Every team needs their share of luck. If we played 4-4-2 in Europe we would get slaughtered

Luck plays a very important role in most football matches though.

midfield will be

davis mendes mculloch thomson rothen and mcculloch is a complete waste of space and is always 3 moves behind. All he was doing on saturday was chasing a player that had already passed the ball and thomson wasnt that great either.

I think we could get a serious humping here

midfield will be

davis mendes mculloch thomson rothen and mcculloch is a complete waste of space and is always 3 moves behind. All he was doing on saturday was chasing a player that had already passed the ball and thomson wasnt that great either.

I think we could get a serious humping here

to be fair mate tommo was good 1st half and was also playing with flu