Ibrox Stadium

BallochBear

I’ve been watching the Gers for over 50 years and been to uncountable number of OF games over the years and I have admit the atmosphere has deteriorated. IMO this is due to a number of factors. The overzealous policing of fans chants is one, the corporate mob is another but the main issues are the number of fans attending and the stadium itself. I have been to many stadia around Europe over the years but I have never experienced an atmosphere like that on Friday night for the Schalke04 v Eintracht Frankfurt Bundesliga match. I was over in Germany with a group of customers for a long weekend and as I would miss the OF game I decided to get my fix elsewhere. Having been at the Schalke04 v Rangers pre-season match last season I thought I would like to back when there was a full house.

So Friday comes, we head to Gelsenkirchen for the game ready to support the home team as my boss supports them and he was authorising my expenses for the trip. We eventually get the car parked and head to the stadium, as we approach it, this futuristic shape appears out of the dark, glass fronted and fully lit, very impressive at night I might add. The pitch is removable and slides out to allow it to get day natural light and rain, how’s that for German engineering? At first it appears fairly quiet but then we realise the roof is closed. Our tickets are for the away support standing area although we were all hoping to support Schalke04.

The atmosphere was simply unbelievable, the roof and steelwork is white, the lights are on, it’s almost daylight inside and the noise simply reverberated around the stadium. The noise was unbelievable, the Schalke fans have their own version of the bouncy and the orchestrated chanting goes on throughout the match. The Frankfurt fans never stopped singing all night despite losing 2-0, they were so loud we could hardly hear the Schalke support despite there being probably 60000+ inside and only 2-3000 Frankfurt fans.

It hurts too admit it but the atmosphere was probably better than even and OF match and the two clubs are not even huge rivals.

So my conclusion for what it’s worth is we need either a rebuilt stadium or a major refurbishment to Ibrox which includes a roof, this will prevent matches being called off due to the weather and reduces the lottery of high winds etc. it vastly improves the atmosphere and will frighten the opponents before the game starts, we need to get the atmosphere back to the way it was when we had huge crowds.

So Mr Johnston, get our act together and move us forward in the new century, I know the economic situation is not good but there are always ways of getting things done if the will is there.

I thought that the atmosphere as the players came out of the tunnel against Sevilla gave much more of a buzz and noise than when they came out on Sunday, to be honest.

It can get a bit quiet, especially when we're all freezing our nads off, but Specky the Tim (See his thread) kept us amused as we spent the entire half creating a sing-song based on the questioning of his sexual preferances, dental needs and personal hygiene.

Does anyone else find that the atmosphere at an away match is greater than the one at Ibrox? A smaller crowd, easier to sing along, I know, but I love the banter at an away match. I was down at Rugby Park a few weeks ago and I heard a new one; 'GLASGOW... CELTIC... PAEDOHILES' went onto 'MICHAEL... JACKSON... CELTIC FAN!' :lol:

Simple answer = terraced areas (both enclosures and lower Copland,Govan & Broomloan stands).

Wont happen though, they are trying (and succeeding) in killing football as a social event worth travelling the lenghth of the country for, and singing your heart out for The Rangers (and probably every club with a poxy all seater stadium.)

I’ve been watching the Gers for over 50 years and been to uncountable number of OF games over the years and I have admit the atmosphere has deteriorated. IMO this is due to a number of factors. The overzealous policing of fans chants is one, the corporate mob is another but the main issues are the number of fans attending and the stadium itself. I have been to many stadia around Europe over the years but I have never experienced an atmosphere like that on Friday night for the Schalke04 v Eintracht Frankfurt Bundesliga match. I was over in Germany with a group of customers for a long weekend and as I would miss the OF game I decided to get my fix elsewhere. Having been at the Schalke04 v Rangers pre-season match last season I thought I would like to back when there was a full house.

So Friday comes, we head to Gelsenkirchen for the game ready to support the home team as my boss supports them and he was authorising my expenses for the trip. We eventually get the car parked and head to the stadium, as we approach it, this futuristic shape appears out of the dark, glass fronted and fully lit, very impressive at night I might add. The pitch is removable and slides out to allow it to get day natural light and rain, how’s that for German engineering? At first it appears fairly quiet but then we realise the roof is closed. Our tickets are for the away support standing area although we were all hoping to support Schalke04.

The atmosphere was simply unbelievable, the roof and steelwork is white, the lights are on, it’s almost daylight inside and the noise simply reverberated around the stadium. The noise was unbelievable, the Schalke fans have their own version of the bouncy and the orchestrated chanting goes on throughout the match. The Frankfurt fans never stopped singing all night despite losing 2-0, they were so loud we could hardly hear the Schalke support despite there being probably 60000+ inside and only 2-3000 Frankfurt fans.

It hurts too admit it but the atmosphere was probably better than even and OF match and the two clubs are not even huge rivals.

So my conclusion for what it’s worth is we need either a rebuilt stadium or a major refurbishment to Ibrox which includes a roof, this will prevent matches being called off due to the weather and reduces the lottery of high winds etc. it vastly improves the atmosphere and will frighten the opponents before the game starts, we need to get the atmosphere back to the way it was when we had huge crowds.

So Mr Johnston, get our act together and move us forward in the new century, I know the economic situation is not good but there are always ways of getting things done if the will is there.

I have to agree about the atmosphere created in German grounds and the orchestrated chanting which adds to the qccasion but at Ibrox there are reasons for the lack of atmosphere which has nothing to do with the stadium because we had a great atmosphere before.

We need the team to look interested, to play at a decent tempo, be set up to attack and go for wins rather than sit back for a draw or when we do get a lead sit back and invite teams to pin us back.

Last season we won the league but there were a large number of season ticket holders who decided back in April that they would not renew their tickets because of the lack of entertainment through the tactics we had to endure.

It is difficult to get excited and roar the team on when it is defending and has little possession; even relegation candidates last season outpassed us and had better possession which deflated even the most animated supporters.

its hard when you see the shite that's played in front of you week after week after week.

The standard of football has definitely gone down. Winning is all well and good but we should be offering a better level of entertainment and playing attacking football in the SPL. As Doc says watching the likes of M'well, St Mirren, Falkirk etc outpassing you is hard to take.

The lack of money shows. I feel the fans would also enjoy it more if a couple of the youngsters too were on view now and then.

Ibrox is balls these days apart from your Old Firms and CL games, could you imagine Ibrox without TBO on any other match day. Would be like a ghost town. (td)

Main Stand can't be knocked down as its a listed building im sure and I have to say I love that building but all the other stands could come down and something changed if they wanted to im sure.

We need more signing supporters groups and the club to back us and fund for displays etc. (tu)

agree agree agree....besiktas fans are a class act love the chants and different orchestrated waves etc....we all love the bouncy so a few new ones would be good to get the fans doing something together has a knock on effect to create something special....the atmosphere has been dying for years ....suggest a chant zone in one stand to start with people who want a sing song etc...

I thought that the atmosphere as the players came out of the tunnel against Sevilla gave much more of a buzz and noise than when they came out on Sunday, to be honest.

It can get a bit quiet, especially when we're all freezing our nads off, but Specky the Tim (See his thread) kept us amused as we spent the entire half creating a sing-song based on the questioning of his sexual preferances, dental needs and personal hygiene.

Does anyone else find that the atmosphere at an away match is greater than the one at Ibrox? A smaller crowd, easier to sing along, I know, but I love the banter at an away match. I was down at Rugby Park a few weeks ago and I heard a new one; 'GLASGOW... CELTIC... PAEDOHILES' went onto 'MICHAEL... JACKSON... CELTIC FAN!' :lol:

Couldn't agree more (tu)

Home games are rotten!!!!!!!!!!

you get frowned upon for

. Singing a song in support of the team

. Showing any emotion

. Standing up and bellowing cries of support for anything more than a tiny period of time as it restricts middle class hobby seekers view of the game.

Basically i am majorly dissilusioned by many people who support our great club sadly :)

We should choose a stand and move all the supporters groups there. The Govan or the Copland, not sure what TBO, Union Bears, Club Deck Loyal etc... would think of that but it looked decent at the Hamilton cup game last March. (tu) Would love to see Ibrox expanded with safe standing areas. It can be done in Germany so why not here?

Sorry OP.... Money doesn't buy you atmosphere or history ... Expense account or not!

I understand the point you are trying to make - just that you didn't make it. And Alastair is there to sell the club -- not to be our saviour, or rebuild IBROX.

Simple answer = terraced areas (both enclosures and lower Copland,Govan & Broomloan stands).

Wont happen though, they are trying (and succeeding) in killing football as a social event worth travelling the lenghth of the country for, and singing your heart out for The Rangers (and probably every club with a poxy all seater stadium.)

Agreed. Its exactly what we need.

BB - I have been at Ibrox when its rocking - no structural change needed to make it sound and look great - what we do need is to find a way to break the apathy - yep a more exciting team would help, as would us settling on a new anthem. Me personally I have a small change to request I would ban the use of loudspeakers before the game - kills the singing pre-match (IMHO)

its hard when you see the shite that's played in front of you week after week after week.

The standard of football has definitely gone down. Winning is all well and good but we should be offering a better level of entertainment and playing attacking football in the SPL. As Doc says watching the likes of M'well, St Mirren, Falkirk etc outpassing you is hard to take.

The lack of money shows. I feel the fans would also enjoy it more if a couple of the youngsters too were on view now and then.

I got slated for saying that the other week haha. Sadly its true. though.

Heres the thing, its true, the level isnt good, and, not as exciting as it could be, however, at the same time, its a fan cop out to be honest. Too many turn up, arms folded and say (to paraphrase) "I paid so go on then, entertain me". Fans have a duty to show support, to generate the atmosphere. In doing so, perhaps it might spur the team on? Random idea eh?

So many other teams around the world do it. Look at Rapid Vienna, without fail, every game their fans stand and sing for the last 15 minutes, regardless of performance and score, what do a shedload of ours do? Leave! Regardless of score.

German supporters, as mentioned in this thread? Phenomenal!

Italians? They have sections who will stand and sing the entire match, regardless of whats in front of them.

The list goes on. and on!

What do we do? make excuses as to why we wont do any of that. Will you get thrown out for singing? Lets think about it rationally, do we have supporters groups? TBO? buses? Thats large groups of people together. Are they going to throw everyone out for singing? Hardly! Perhaps all the others who are "so scared" to sing, will join in. Nobody wants to get this started, nobody wants to take the chance, or, the responsibility to improve things, seemingly either happy to do as they are told, or, sit around complaining without making an attempt to effect change. The thing is, it CAN be done, we do it on Euro nights dont we? So, domestically, there is no excuse.

We all want more entertaining games, better performances, WINNING performances, but, we are refusing to play our hugely important part in it. Sadly.

I got slated for saying that the other week haha. Sadly its true. though.

Heres the thing, its true, the level isnt good, and, not as exciting as it could be, however, at the same time, its a fan cop out to be honest. Too many turn up, arms folded and say (to paraphrase) "I paid so go on then, entertain me". Fans have a duty to show support, to generate the atmosphere. In doing so, perhaps it might spur the team on? Random idea eh?

So many other teams around the world do it. Look at Rapid Vienna, without fail, every game their fans stand and sing for the last 15 minutes, regardless of performance and score, what do a shedload of ours do? Leave! Regardless of score.

German supporters, as mentioned in this thread? Phenomenal!

Italians? They have sections who will stand and sing the entire match, regardless of whats in front of them.

The list goes on. and on!

What do we do? make excuses as to why we wont do any of that. Will you get thrown out for singing? Lets think about it rationally, do we have supporters groups? TBO? buses? Thats large groups of people together. Are they going to throw everyone out for singing? Hardly! Perhaps all the others who are "so scared" to sing, will join in. Nobody wants to get this started, nobody wants to take the chance, or, the responsibility to improve things, seemingly either happy to do as they are told, or, sit around complaining without making an attempt to effect change. The thing is, it CAN be done, we do it on Euro nights dont we? So, domestically, there is no excuse.

We all want more entertaining games, better performances, WINNING performances, but, we are refusing to play our hugely important part in it. Sadly.

agreed - that one about getting chucked out for singing is just nonsense, no one has ever been chucked out for singing per-say (!) (If they were they would chuck me out first - my musicality is so bad if I sing other fans tell me to shut up and let them do the singing!) I am sure some have been chucked out / warned for singing 'banned' songs. The BB is gone but we do need a replacement anthem or routine as it hasn't een replaced.

Been to Gelsenkirchen and Borussia Dortumund's stadium and the atmosphere is great every single game. One idea would be to have a singing section in each stand.

The German's also have this guy who conducts the singing section as well. He doesn't see any of the game. He's just on a platform and starts the song by singin into a microphone and the whole section joins in. That could work

Been to Gelsenkirchen and Borussia Dortumund's stadium and the atmosphere is great every single game. One idea would be to have a singing section in each stand.

The German's also have this guy who conducts the singing section as well. He doesn't see any of the game. He's just on a platform and starts the song by singin into a microphone and the whole section joins in. That could work

Indeed, as I said, the fans create the atmosphere, not the players, or the quality of the game. Works the same in music, if I play somewhere and, the crowd is jumping, then, we play better, and, its a better show. If you turn up at a dead venue, you find it hard to get going and enjoy it.

having a team on the park that would inspire the fans to create a better atmosphere would do me, once thats sorted and our debts are in order than id go along with revamping Ibrox but not too much.

See, I agree with the other bits, but, not that. Take it you are in the "entertain me, I paid" camp?