Walter mentions the younger players/in regards to Dundee

Boab

With Rangers struggling for defensive cover, 17-year-old central defender Danny Wilson is edging ever closer to a competitive debut.

“We’ve got a few younger players but, unfortunately, they’ve all been injured, such as Jamie Ness and Danny Wilson,” Smith added. “Wilson’s back now, though, and in with the group for this one. He’s not far away from getting a game for us but it’s asking a lot of a young boy in the current circumstances.”

It is really 'asking a lot'? Slight :anguish:

Talking about Dundee and more in depth: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=3813332

Danny Wilson to make debut - http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=3814650 -

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the kind of game where you'd think it would be a good idea to throw in an untried youngster at CB and hope he comes out on top. On the other hand, it's not the kind of game where you can throw in a player at CB who's majestically failed at every position he's ever played at for Rangers, and laughed when he scored an own goal while facing a shitty European team in midweek.

Walter can't lose with the fans on here if he plays Wilson. If he starts and plays well then it's good for us and if he makes a mistake he'll learn from it. Just remember though that Fleck is considered the best our youth team has to offer and there is people already doubting him.

We should really stop building up Wilson. If he comes in and makes a mistake, we're going to come down on him so hard with the "He's never going to be good enough" shite that we get with Fleck. One mistake can crush an experienced player's confidence when theres a disgrunted Ibrox crowd on your back, but it could totally destroy a youngsters'.

Any other week, I honestly don't think the 'disgruntled Ibrox crowd' is as bad as most people try and claim it is, but this weekend will be different. Wilson should have had a chance by now, but the more I think about it, I don't think tomorrow is the right time for him.

Kev's right. This is what Walter means by 'in the current circumstances' I reckon - in a team devoid of confidence and a crowd pissed off and impatient it would be pretty risky to put a kid in the centre of defence.

One mistake and we'd be howling at him, and the head could go down which would be catastrophic against a decent attack like Hibs, you know how it is.

We should really stop building up Wilson. If he comes in and makes a mistake, we're going to come down on him so hard with the "He's never going to be good enough" shite that we get with Fleck. One mistake can crush an experienced player's confidence when theres a disgrunted Ibrox crowd on your back, but it could totally destroy a youngsters'.

Totally agree. People were pissing and moaning about Fleck not being in the team last year for ages and thinking he was going to be the saviour of Rangers. When he came in and wasn't as impressive as people thought though the attitude in here quickly turned.

The fact we're even talking about putting a young lad in at this stage shows just how bad things are. We all knew this was coming though at the start of the season when we didn't sign a CB. Weir is done last season should have been his last, Broadfoot and Papac are shit in the middle and don't even get me started on McCulloch. The only consolation is Celtic's defence is even worse.

i watched wilson a few times last season in the youth team troops

and if you think the young guy is ready for a step up then you are wrong guys

yes he is a good player at his level but i dont think he is ready for the full team

you are setting the youngster up to fail imo

It is strange that all other clubs;bigger clubs in higher pressure,higher quality and more competitive leagues use their youth system to bring players through to their first teams in the future,just as we used to do.

If Wilson is too youngwhy are their not players from an earlier group not ready to step up?

If they are not ready/good enough is the youth set up working,is it not good enough, does the manager have any interest in it?

I know the answer to the last part!

Th bottom line is that a club like Rangers should never get into the situation like this where we are shoehorning mediocre players into different positions because we have no natural alternatives.

Kev's right. This is what Walter means by 'in the current circumstances' I reckon - in a team devoid of confidence and a crowd pissed off and impatient it would be pretty risky to put a kid in the centre of defence.

One mistake and we'd be howling at him, and the head could go down which would be catastrophic against a decent attack like Hibs, you know how it is.

On the other hand if all is going well, Walter Smith would not change the team.

On the other hand if all is going well, Walter Smith would not change the team.

And particularly with a younger player from Murray Park.