***The Official Unirea Urziceni v Rangers Thread***

Muff

Very tempted to start Wilson, but I just don't feel it's fair on him. 17 years old playing in a Champions League match in Romania for only his second start.....I think it would be irresponsible. If they put 3 or 4 past us, it could really dent his confidence. Would bring him back in for our next domestic game.

___________________McGregor

Whittaker________Weir________Papac_______Smith

____________________Thomson

Naismith________Davis_________Rothen______Lafferty

_____________________Miller

Irresponsible?

That's playing Lee McCulloch at center back in a must win Champions League match (Unirea at Ibrox).

The fact that Walter Smith picked him for Dundee, and kept him in the side for a tricky, and must win game at Tannadice, shows that he's ready, and the manager thinks so too - he's also hinted that he may start on Wednesday!

in both games wilson has played hes proved hes good enough to play CB for the team right now, and proved hes better there than mccullch too

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Wilson doesn't play, then we have to go with Weir and Papac at center back with Stevie Smith on the left.

None of this shoehorning pish. I hope Lee McCulloch doesn't make it!

Very tempted to start Wilson, but I just don't feel it's fair on him.

Absolutely flabbergasted by that point of view.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

For a 17 year old kid to be thrown into a high pressure european game......there's the potential there for him to be given a night to forget, but young guys don't always manage to put bad experiences behind them the way more seasoned pros can.

I'd rather we allowed him to continue his development and build up his confidence in the domestic games first. Say he had played in the last game against Unirea......ok we might have conceded less but if we hadn't, that sort of night can send a young kid backwards.

Would start him over Lee, but with the option of Weir-Papac in the middle, I'd be happier going with experience for a night like this.

I also think yesterday's team should get the nod for Wednesday - with the exception of Lafferty. He's just not a left mid, we've seen that against Dundee.

I'm not too sure who I'd want in there ahead of him though, either Novo, Rothen or Fleck.

Would I be right in saying that should we beat Unirea on Wednesday, and Sevilla beat Stuttgart - then the game against the Germans at Ibrox would be for second place?

I think this could be more right than left.

It is wrong though. We would need to better Unirea's 4-1 at Ibrox otherwise they could still get second place with a win over Stuttgart in the final game. (tu)

For that to happen Unirea would have to beat Sevilla on matchday 5 though?

I think the team will be

:mcgregor:

:whittaker::weir::wilson::papac:

:mcculloch:

:Naismith::davis::thomson::lafferty:

:miller:

Think that will be the team Walter goes with. There is no way he will go 4-4-2 in Europe

Would I be right in saying that should we beat Unirea on Wednesday, and Sevilla beat Stuttgart - then the game against the Germans at Ibrox would be for second place?

It is wrong though. We would need to better Unirea's 4-1 at Ibrox otherwise they could still get second place with a win over Stuttgart in the final game. (tu)

No. We are three points behind Unirea, so if we win both of our matches we will be three points ahead of them. An inevitable defeat to Sevilla coupled with Unirea winning in Stuttgart would see them through as long as we don't better their 4-1 scoreline at Ibrox.

We are certainly in the driving seat with a win on Wednesday though. That's for sure.

No. We are three points behind Unirea, so if we win both of our matches we will be three points ahead of them. An inevitable defeat to Sevilla coupled with Unirea winning in Stuttgart would see them through as long as we don't better their 4-1 scoreline at Ibrox.

We are certainly in the driving seat with a win on Wednesday though. That's for sure.

Cheers for clearing that up (tu)

There's still a real last-16 chance should we win Wednesday. But we simply have to win.

Cheers for clearing that up (tu)

There's still a real last-16 chance should we win Wednesday. But we simply have to win.

which means walters playin 4-5-1 :lol:

-------------------M'Gregor-------------------------

Whittaker------Weir----Wilson------Papac

--Davis----------Thomson--------Naismith

----Novo---------Lafferty-------Miller----

We need to win, and to win we need to pose them problems, and to pose them problems we need pace and offensive minded players who will all put in a busy shift.

This is the best line up imo in terms of energy, creativity and counter attacking ability. I have excluded Boyd as he has no pace or creativity. In an away game of this magnitude we won't be camped in their box so Boyd would be would be on the periphery all too often.

:whittaker: :weir: :wilson: :papac:

:novo: :davis: :thomson: :Naismith:

:boyd: :miller:

Why the hell not go out and try and win this game?

Are we 100% Boogie is out ? Is it maybe a wee smokescreen by Walter ? (Heres hoping)

I donno how to get the players face but here is what I would go with......

Mcgregor

Whittaker/ Weir/ Wilson/ Papac

( If's and buts with the subs - plenty options)

Davis/ Thomson

Naismith Fleck* ( Fleck - Lafferty - 2nd half (move 'Naisy' to 'Flecks' - 'Novo' moves to RM and Lafferty in Novo's up with Boydy

Novo*

Boyd ( Novo - Miller straight swap maybe )

subs in order of play unless forced sub.... ( Boyd - Loy - if we are winning and Boyd's legs are going LOL)

Miller/ Lafferty/ Rothen/ McCulloch/ Loy/

No way will WS pick this side but that is what I would styart with unless Boogie was fit of course ! :uk:

post-50526-1257177140.jpg

great_chelsearangers.bmp

This is the team I think Walter will go for (not necessarily the team I would go for):

:whittaker: :weir: :wilson: :papac:

:mcculloch:

:Naismith: :davis: :thomson: :rothen:

:miller:

Excellent Sig :lol:

That line up would spell disaster for us. M'culloch, Thomson, Rothen all too slow and no danger to the opposition.