We need a young, innovative man at the helm.

Bobby83

Putting aside that fact that Smith is finished, as has been for a long time. Hopefully he does the right thing and walks away from our club soon enough or SDM has the balls to tell him his time is up (in the nicest way possible).

We need to think outside the box. Not a strong Rangers man and necessarily an experienced name.

We need someone young, Like a Slaven Billic.

Most importantly we need someone who knows how to, and most importantly wants to bring through youth and compliment this with a few experience signings to put an arm around the lads.

The longer we stay with Walter we dig ourselves a bigger hole. He leaves us with old duds, spl players lacking rudimentary technical skills and a batch of "youngsters" now in the early twenties with only a bunch of sub appearances if any to their name.

Inevitable youth is the road we have to go down, and with walter you risk long term medocrity in exchange for short term "stability" if you can even call it that.

We are going no where under this old clown, and he is ruining/has already ruined a group of youngster that other managers could turn into players that would bring us success and if needs be sellable assets.

Putting aside that fact that Smith is finished, as has been for a long time. Hopefully he does the right thing and walks away from our club soon enough or SDM has the balls to tell him his time is up (in the nicest way possible).

We need to think outside the box. Not a strong Rangers man and necessarily an experienced name.

We need someone young, Like a Slaven Billic.

Most importantly we need someone who knows how to, and most importantly wants to bring through youth and compliment this with a few experience signings to put an arm around the lads.

The longer we stay with Walter we dig ourselves a bigger hole. He leaves us with old duds, spl players lacking rudimentary technical skills and a batch of "youngsters" now in the early twenties with only a bunch of sub appearances if any to their name.

Inevitable youth is the road we have to go down, and with walter you risk long term medocrity in exchange for short term "stability" if you can even call it that.

We are going no where under this old clown, and he is ruining/has already ruined a group of youngster that other managers could turn into players that would bring us success and if needs be sellable assets.

Someone who will actually earn there money and develop players and give them a chance.

Dan Petrescu

i like the idea of Slaven Billic

Darren Ferguson

someone like that

We had one. Le Guen.

At the time i said he should have stayed, and i'm in two minds now as to what should have happened.

His fitness regime may not have agreed with Barry and Co but damn we look like we need it now, imagine what the team would be like with 3 years of Le Guens fitness excercises, i'd say it would have been short term pain for long term gain.

That said, he did an awful job of researching the SPL, and thought he could just come and walk it.

Like i said, i'm in two minds. The results weren't good enough, and some of his players he brought in were shite, but the long term gain may have been good for us.

We have to ask, if another manager like him comes in, will he just be off again if in the short term we aren't good enough?

We had one. Le Guen.

At the time i said he should have stayed, and i'm in two minds now as to what should have happened.

His fitness regime may not have agreed with Barry and Co but damn we look like we need it now, imagine what the team would be like with 3 years of Le Guens fitness excercises, i'd say it would have been short term pain for long term gain.

That said, he did an awful job of researching the SPL, and thought he could just come and walk it.

Like i said, i'm in two minds. The results weren't good enough, and some of his players he brought in were shite, but the long term gain may have been good for us.

We have to ask, if another manager like him comes in, will he just be off again if in the short term we aren't good enough?

Depends whether or not he is a coward who resigns at the first sign of trouble.......

We had one. Le Guen.

Spot on McBoyd. Any of the dreamers who think that if So-and-so comes in then we're going to be sweeping all before us at home and abroad have very short memories.

Any "long term success" people now attribute to a parallel universe where Le Guen stayed is worthless, unfounded, speculation

We had one. Le Guen.

Good post (tu)

We had one. Le Guen.

He still didn't know how to get his players to defend, the amount goals from high balls into the box was terrible.

I am starting to come round to the idea of Billy Davies as manager. Knows how to work with a tight budget and would instal some passion into this side.

Whatever happens, i think its clear to see Walter Smith isn't taking us anywhere new, especially with a lack of money.

At the start of the season i would have been happy for Walter to stay another year after this, but now, i'd say we need someone new in next season. Fresh ideas, modern football, and better coaching techniques.

Whatever happens, i think its clear to see Walter Smith isn't taking us anywhere new, especially with a lack of money.

At the start of the season i would have been happy for Walter to stay another year after this, but now, i'd say we need someone new in next season. Fresh ideas, modern football, and better coaching techniques.

(tu)

I wouldn't jump the gun here. Whilst I do agree that Walter's never had much success, bar 2 seasons, in Europe. At the moment he still is the right man for the club in terms of the domestic level at least until the end of the season. That lot across the city are in turmoil on the field after going for a man to bring about expansive change in the way they play football. Now whilst come the end of the season it will, in all likeliness, be time for a change at the helm we need to wait and see where we are at in terms of ownership, funds for new players, playing squad, etc.

Slaven Bilic has done well with good players at international level, though the last campaign highlighted than when his best players were injured he never had the ideas to mould the players he had into a strong team. Dan Petrescu has done well at the European level this season with Unirea, though Cluj did the same last season and are now struggling having lost the surprise package label. As for Ferguson if he's anything like his old man get him snapped up now, however to date he has managed Peterborough, and whilst punching above their weight and scouting good players on the cheap from non-league football he seems a bit too inexperienced for us at the moment.

I'm not sure who out there could come in just now, that we could afford and attract, though in saying that at the end of the season we could have new owners that could attract a decent manager in the same vein as Advocaat again (though without the latter financial mishaps I would hope).

For now thankfully the humiliation of the Champions League is 90 mins away from being done for this year, we can focus on the league until the end of the year, keep the title where it belongs and then next year we can hope to have a board and manager in place that are up to the challenge at the European level.

Walter will step down this summer but without a new owner it will be Ally, Durrant and mcdowell that will take over. Whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

No one is coming into rangers until we have a new owner…..

God the walter smith lover is out in force

He didn't say anything to even remotely merit that statement..

Not yet mate, but he will, he will also defend the tactics and the team last night? :anguish:

No one is coming into rangers until we have a new owner…..

God the walter smith lover is out in force

God the pointless little fuds are out in force…..

LOL.

I agree that it's unlikely that there will be a change of manager until the club's ownership changes. Even then...the new owner may not want to rock the boat, or may be one of those who think Walter Smith really is a good manager...many do.