Scott Brown

SpursGer

Someone mentioned Ivan Sproules's hat-trick at Ibrox from few years ago in a thread today, and I thought I'd check it out.

Watching even just that short clip, how good does Scott Brown look? You all watch a heck of a lot more Scottish football than me, so I'm trusting your opinions here :craphead:

I remember watching him a few times after he'd just joined Celtic, and he looked very much like a young Roy Keane to me. Really impressive stuff. Since then, every time I've caught him he's looked an absolute shadow of the player; at best average. He just seems to run like a headless chicken, and seems to have half the pace and technique he showed in the above video.

Was he typical of football fans 'bigging-up' a young talent and over-hyping him? Was he a super talented boy who was coached badly? I'm genuinely interested.

Someone mentioned Ivan Sproules's hat-trick at Ibrox from few years ago in a thread today, and I thought I'd check it out.

Watching even just that short clip, how good does Scott Brown look? You all watch a heck of a lot more Scottish football than me, so I'm trusting your opinions here :craphead:

I remember watching him a few times after he'd just joined Celtic, and he looked very much like a young Roy Keane to me. Really impressive stuff. Since then, every time I've caught him he's looked an absolute shadow of the player; at best average. He just seems to run like a headless chicken, and seems to have half the pace and technique he showed in the above video.

Was he typical of football fans 'bigging-up' a young talent and over-hyping him? Was he a super talented boy who was coached badly? I'm genuinely interested.

he was looking like a good player but think all the press talk of him being a 10 to 12 million man got to him, maybe hes a 3mill ma, anyway out for a wee while and kinda likes to get involved in off field incidents too much

Scott Brow, what happened?

He signed for Gordon Strachan, and celtc, and it all went downhill - they did not know how to use him, along with Brown himself being unable to improve on the basics - touch, control, vision, distribution....he lacks the very basics.

Had he signed for Rangers, he would have been a completely different player. His loss, he can rot in his own piss, the horrible little bastard.

Scott Brown couldn't even lace Steven Davis' boots.

When Davis is having a bad game he is still 10x better than Brown! And if he is being quoted at £10m then what is Davis worth?

Steven Davis has performed in the SPL, International level and European level. Scott Brown struggles to impose himself in games against Hamilton, Falkirk, St Mirren etc.

He signed for Gordon Strachan, and celtc, and it all went downhill - they did not know how to use him, along with Brown himself being unable to improve on the basics - touch, control, vision, distribution....he lacks the very basics.

Had he signed for Rangers, he would have been a completely different player. His loss, he can rot in his own piss, the horrible little bastard.

(tu)

(tu)

When Brown was at Hibs he played in a totally different system than the one at Celtic over the last few seasons. Hibs played a 4-3-3/4-5-1 counter attacking game. The had lots of players with pace and broke quickly, with Brown playing on the right hand side. There was more space for him to exploit because teams opened up more than against the old firm. This role was suited perfectly to his abilities - pace, dribbling, workrate, agression and stamina. He looked like he was going to be a brilliant player at one point, when Johnstone said he was coming to us i was delighted, as was every other bear i knew, becuse he looked like the real deal. At Celtic he's been wasted in a central midfield role he doesnt have the right attributes for.

His passing is average, he cannot open up a defense and his shooting is poor. He's a far better player for Scotland, even though they are a poor team right now. In his early days for Scotland he played on the right of midfield, like his hibs role, and did well. Later he was moved into the middle, but in a defensive role in front of the back four, where he chases runners and harries the opposition midfield. Again, this plays to his strengths, and the creative side of things is left to the likes of Ferguson (pre-bevvygate) and Fletcher, who unlike Brown can pass the ball and dictate play.

I sometimes wonder whether if we had signed him we would have made the same mistake as they did and tried to convert Brown into a centralmidfielder? We've had Davis playing mostly on the right hand side when he should be in the middle, basically wasting his talent and asking him to do a job i feel would be ideally suited to Brown if we had signed him.

(tu)

When Brown was at Hibs he played in a totally different system than the one at Celtic over the last few seasons. Hibs played a 4-3-3/4-5-1 counter attacking game. The had lots of players with pace and broke quickly, with Brown playing on the right hand side. There was more space for him to exploit because teams opened up more than against the old firm. This role was suited perfectly to his abilities - pace, dribbling, workrate, agression and stamina. He looked like he was going to be a brilliant player at one point, when Johnstone said he was coming to us i was delighted, as was every other bear i knew, becuse he looked like the real deal. At Celtic he's been wasted in a central midfield role he doesnt have the right attributes for.

His passing is average, he cannot open up a defense and his shooting is poor. He's a far better player for Scotland, even though they are a poor team right now. In his early days for Scotland he played on the right of midfield, like his hibs role, and did well. Later he was moved into the middle, but in a defensive role in front of the back four, where he chases runners and harries the opposition midfield. Again, this plays to his strengths, and the creative side of things is left to the likes of Ferguson (pre-bevvygate) and Fletcher, who unlike Brown can pass the ball and dictate play.

I sometimes wonder whether if we had signed him we would have made the same mistake as they did and tried to convert Brown into a centralmidfielder? We've had Davis playing mostly on the right hand side when he should be in the middle, basically wasting his talent and asking him to do a job i feel would be ideally suited to Brown if we had signed him.

Absolutely spot on. I remember against the likes of Italy when we went close to qualifying from the group of death and he linked up superbly with Hutton on the right flank.

Looking at that video you see he has enough pace to beat Lovenkrands for the second goal and that's no mean feat. Even the pass he made was a good, delicate little pass.

All the points mentioned so far in this thread are spot on.