PETER MARTIN: Rangers’ canter won’t count for the derby

Ace

The 7-1 hammering of Dundee United is a major confidence boost for Walter Smith and his Rangers team – but it will have no bearing on what will happen this Sunday at Celtic Park.

Kris Boyd deserves tremendous credit for his achievement in surpassing Henrik Larsson’s SPL goalscoring record. There, though, the comparison ends.

Now, in a really important game, the Rangers striker has to get another monkey off his back by proving he can score a significant goal against the only other serious title contenders.

The Ibrox side are on fire at the moment and I have to say they look hard to bet against come 12.30pm on Sunday.

However, there could be some comfort for Celtic if Rangers fail in their bid to have Kenny Miller’s red card rescinded.

The ex-Celt is the one guy who could have caused havoc against Tony Mowbray’s team because of his pace and confidence.

Boyd and Kyle Lafferty or Boyd and Nacho Novo don’t hold the same threat as Boyd and Miller for me.

Smith’s side are every inch the title winners I tipped at the start of the season on current form, because the manager can, with everyone fit, pick a settled nine out of eleven regularly – with one or two changes at a push.

Could you say the same for Mowbray’s Celtic team?

You could mix and match all of the Parkhead back four and still not come up with a good combination.

I cannot pick a midfield that looks settled, assured and capable of winning a battle. Aiden McGeady, Barry Robson and Landry N’Guemo will surely get three of the four places available

Up front, it looks like it will be Georgios Samaras and Scott McDonald with Marc-Antoine Fortune coming on beyond the hour if the home side is chasing the game – and I expect them to be doing just that.

The Ibrox outfit have bagged 26 goals in the last six games, with only four conceded, while their rivals across the city have scored 13 goals with seven against.

Does it mean anything going into this type of match?

Probably not, but if you look deeper into the performances of both teams, there can only be one winner and that’s Rangers for me.

Walter’s team may win the battle on Sunday, but the war will almost certainly not be over.

Ten points would be a strong lead going into the second half of the season but, as I keep pointing out week in, week out – one of these teams is going to spend in the January transfer window, the other will not, and may lose one or two players into the bargain.

On the second day of February, we’ll get a clearer picture of which team is best placed to win the title – not on Sunday afternoon at around 2.20pm.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor...-derby-1.995497

Does the bitterness NEVER end ???

He is a wank but the text highlighted in bold, that IS true?

They have money and we don't...If someone came in with a £5m bid for Pedro Mendes or Bougherra, Rangers would accept it.

However, I'd rather Mowbray went out and spent, all his signings have been absolutely gash.

If the shoe was on the other foot i am sure he wouldn't be proclaiming that this result has no bearing on the league, every point matters, every goal matters.

On the second day of February, we’ll get a clearer picture of which team is best placed to win the title – not on Sunday afternoon at around 2.20pm.

doh We will go 10 points clear, I'm sure that makes us big BIG favorites

What if, by the February 2nd we're 15 points clear, not beyond the realms of possibility. What the fuck does it matter how much the t**** spend? Every one of monkeyheids signings have been overpriced and overhyped. Who gives a fuck who he signs? Are we shaking in our shoes at the 2nd division French striker? Who gives a monkeys about the other far east player (already forgotten the first one he signed) hes bagged. On Sunday even if we lose and they win their game in hand we're still 1 point ahead of them. This is what matters.

Some of his points are correct and he did tip us to win the league or so he says.

CFC will spend money in January. We will not.

My guess is if we win Sunday they will panic and spend more than they would if they win on Sunday.

We will have a weakened team out on Sunday and maybe weaker than we think if the flu bug hits others.

Nevertheless Rangers are generally at their best when under the hammer and I fully expect a real fighting show come Sunday.

Peter Martin is a dyed in the wool Tim and hates Rangers. He too will panic if the Mhanks lose Sunday. They will be under BIG pressure to win this one.

I expect nothing less than a draw and hopefully we catch them on the break and score enough to win.

It will hopefully be a wonderful day for D Wilson and Rangers fans.

peter mcguire, sorry martin hates us with a passion

most bears should know that

guidi, keevins, walker, keevins and the like are counting on us losing players and not replacing them

weve already been told we will not sell anyone!!!!!!!!!

Whats sad about this thread (with the exception of navger) is that the article is pretty spot on - but many are so blinded by their dislike of the man they dont read what he says. Form means little going into thse games (but often home advantage does). He makes the point Celtic are all over the place re: team slection and they will have cash to spend and we wont.

Oh (and surprised that this is NOT in the article). They were seven points clear last year and we still won - we should NOT be complacent even with a huge lead (Confident perhaps) but no complacency. (Now if we could sneek a wee (BIG) CH in the Jan window that would be a bonus)

Will Ceptic really spend in January?

I know they have another Nakamura on the way but above that, if we go ten points clear will the board really back Mowbary to pull it back and recoup there spending with guaranteed CL football?

Another season of Uefa Cup scraps may not be enough for the money men to dig deep...

Will Ceptic really spend in January?

I know they have another Nakamura on the way but above that, if we go ten points clear will the board really back Mowbary to pull it back and recoup there spending with guaranteed CL football?

Another season of Uefa Cup scraps may not be enough for the money men to dig deep...

WHAT sorry what really amazes me about the scum is ...they have 2 owners that are fucking loaded big time ,but they never spend ....how fucking shallow and uneducated are the pricks that support that club and put up with it...we are counting every fucking pencil thats bought at our club and we are still and always will be the fucking PEOPLE..

EDIT prick martin ...why have you never mentioned that in all the tripe you vomit ya unwashed prick..

The 7-1 hammering of Dundee United is a major confidence boost for Walter Smith and his Rangers team – but it will have no bearing on what will happen this Sunday at Celtic Park.

Kris Boyd deserves tremendous credit for his achievement in surpassing Henrik Larsson’s SPL goalscoring record. There, though, the comparison ends.

Now, in a really important game, the Rangers striker has to get another monkey off his back by proving he can score a significant goal against the only other serious title contenders.

The Ibrox side are on fire at the moment and I have to say they look hard to bet against come 12.30pm on Sunday.

However, there could be some comfort for Celtic if Rangers fail in their bid to have Kenny Miller’s red card rescinded.

The ex-Celt is the one guy who could have caused havoc against Tony Mowbray’s team because of his pace and confidence.

Boyd and Kyle Lafferty or Boyd and Nacho Novo don’t hold the same threat as Boyd and Miller for me.

Smith’s side are every inch the title winners I tipped at the start of the season on current form, because the manager can, with everyone fit, pick a settled nine out of eleven regularly – with one or two changes at a push.

You could mix and match all of the Parkhead back four and still not come up with a good combination.

I cannot pick a midfield that looks settled, assured and capable of winning a battle. Aiden McGeady, Barry Robson and Landry N’Guemo will surely get three of the four places available

Up front, it looks like it will be Georgios Samaras and Scott McDonald with Marc-Antoine Fortune coming on beyond the hour if the home side is chasing the game – and I expect them to be doing just that.

The Ibrox outfit have bagged 26 goals in the last six games, with only four conceded, while their rivals across the city have scored 13 goals with seven against.

Probably not, but if you look deeper into the performances of both teams, there can only be one winner and that’s Rangers for me.

Walter’s team may win the battle on Sunday, but the war will almost certainly not be over.

Ten points would be a strong lead going into the second half of the season but, as I keep pointing out week in, week out – one of these teams is going to spend in the January transfer window, the other will not, and may lose one or two players into the bargain.

you need to get a life,bud.your heid is ready to pop!please get out more?

you need to get a life,bud.your heid is ready to pop!please get out more?

oh,and bye the way!the para is ripping out you,you done a thread last nighthttp://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136092 there is nothing to fear!we will won the league...

i never said that what he has writen is wrong but the article itself reeks of bitterness.

Yes, we are in the grubber and a decent money bid for one of our players will likely be accepted with little or no chance of a replacement. however, it is disengenuous to state that a victory in this match will have little or no bearing on the outcome of the leaguue.

Over many previous titles the result has, to all reason, been decided by the victories (or defeats) in these very games. win on Sunday, we go 10 points clear .. lose and it is down to 4, how can that not be viewed as anything other than critical to the destination of trophy (yes, they have a game in hand but that would make the difference even mor compelling i.e. 7 points or 1 point.)

The article makes valid points, i would comment that in my opinion the author could have written it in a more unbiased tone.