***The Official 2010 Golf Thread***

Really lookin forward to the first major of the year also the return of tiger woods my moneys on Ernie els he seems to be back to his best of late and finally seems to over his knee injury but all the attention will be on Tigers return which could take the pressure off some of the other big name and make for a great masters. The masters is prob ma Fav major

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking forward to it since the start of the year, even more so after Tiger Woods announced that he was making a comeback at Augusta National.

One of my favourite sporting events. I enjoy it more than both the World Cup, and European Championships.

Should be a cracking tournament this year and would absolutely love to see Tiger win it!

As for bets. I'm going to back Charl Schwartzel (66/1) and Nick Watney (40/1) each way. I fancy Steve Stricker, Padraig Harrington, and Jim Furyk to all do well.

The Masters is undoubtedly one of my favorite sporting events. Who knows how Tiger's going to play? If there's one thing I know from following golf, it's not to underestimate Woods so I wouldn't be surprised if he won the whole thing.

Can't get enough of Augusta National though, Amen Corner, Ike's Pond, Rae's Creek :praise:

I might back Martin Kaymer this year. Fantastic talent.

I can't wait for it. I absoloutely love The Masters. I seem to follow (not really sure why) it more than The Open. Welcome back TW!

The only thing I don't like about Major golf is that I struggle to back anyone on it, as I change my mind everyday and end up not betting.

The masters is great to watch though :drool:

hope Tiger misses the cut, can't stand the cnut.

So you've said before. Did he bang your missus or something?

He should be so lucky!

Fact is on here it appears that some get offended if you don't like Eldrick Woods.

He should be so lucky!

Fact is on here it appears that some get offended if you don't like Eldrick Woods.

No skin of my nose, more interested to know why some people hate him? I've never seen him give any reason why people would dislike him (minus the "tiny" fiasco he's just been through).

He should be so lucky!

No skin of my nose, more interested to know why some people hate him? I've never seen him give any reason why people would dislike him (minus the "tiny" fiasco he's just been through).

I don't like the way he goes about his business on the course. He is a remarkable golfer but his etiquette leaves a lot to be desired, especially when playing mickelson, walking on to the next tee as the other guy is still putting out. You would never have seen that from Nicklaus etc. I don't give a shit about his 'affairs'.

Tiger won't win this.

The scores from his early practice rounds haven't been great.

Doesn't mean that much to be honest.

I was up at the practise rounds for the Open at Turnberry and he was really amazing, then went on to miss the cut.

For what it's worth I dont think he'll win either, however if he's still in with a shout come the final round it'll be interesting to see how that effects the leaders. In the past they would typically crumble, does he still have that effect? I'd think yes.

Villegas at 40/1, Schwartzel at 50/1 and O'hair at 50/1 will be my bets.

Wont rule out Mickleson, Els, Striker etc though.

Hope McIlroy has a good run.

Hmm, I hope any of the Brits win it...

Primarily Poulter though. :)

Outwith the Brits I always root for Garcia and Tiger.

So, Poulter (any other Brit) Garcia or Tiger please. :)

In order of preference :pipe:

Tiger Woods received a muted reception from fans as he played his first public golf appearance in a practice round at Augusta National on Monday.

The world number one teed off at 8am local time with Fred Couples on the first day of official practice for The Masters.

That was around the same time that spectators were allowed in - none were present for Woods' round with Mark O'Meara on Sunday - and around 500 people had arrived in time to see him miss the fairway with his opening shot.

There was some polite clapping but nothing remotely raucous beyond the occasional "Go Tiger" and "Welcome back Tiger" over the opening holes, even when he twice chipped in from just off the third green.

The size of the crowd had swelled by then and continued to grow as he progressed through his round.

Woods was noticeably quick to acknowledge any applause or support he did receive with a tip of his cap and by mouthing a silent "Thank you."

Those amongst the galleries were his manager Mark Steinberg and press agent Glenn Greenspan, and also coach Hank Haney, with whom Woods has linked up in the last few weeks to try to remove the rust which must have set in during his near five-month lay-off.

Woods is scheduled to meet the assembled media for the first time later on Monday when he will attend an open press conference ahead of the season's first major.

Tiger Woods apologised to his fellow professionals and addressed a wide range of issues in his first full press conference since the lurid revelations about his private life broke.

The world number one, who returns to competitive action on Thursday at the season's first major after a near five-month break from the game, was facing the assembled media ahead of The Masters at Augusta.

Before taking questions from reporters, Woods chose to apologise to his peers for the constant questioning on his actions they have endured since he opted to take a break from the game.

"I'd like to tell all the players after today hopefully they can be left alone to focus on the Masters and their game for this week and going forward," he said.

"I apologise to all of them for having to endure what they've had to endure over the last few months.

"A lot has happened in the past five months, I'm here to play and compete and really excited about doing that. I missed the competition."

Woods, who made his first public golfing appearance during a practice round with Fred Couples earlier on Monday, also admitted he had been "blown away" by the reception he was afforded by fans at Augusta.

In recent weeks he admitted to nerves about facing the public again, but after being given encouragement throughout his round on Sunday he acknowledged the reception had "touched my heart pretty good".

He also insisted he would make a conscious effort to appreciate his fans more having accepted he had not shown them enough gratitude or respect in recent years.

Drug denial

Woods then went on to insist he had never used human growth hormone (HGH) while recovering from injury.

The 34-year-old admitted he had been treated by controversial physician Dr Anthony Galea, who is under federal investigation in a drugs case.

Galea visited Woods at his home during the latter's recovery from knee surgery and Woods acknowledged he had received a treatment known as "blood spinning."

However, he added: "He (Galea) did come to my house, he never gave me HGH. I had PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatment."

Asked if federal agents had contacted him in relation to Galea's case, Woods continued: "They contacted my agent and will get full cooperation whenever they need me, but right now they haven't asked for my time."

Asked about the injuries he suffered in a car accident in November last year which led to the revelations of numerous extra-marital affairs, and why he did not speak to police, Woods added: "I had a busted up lip and pretty sore neck and that was it.

"I did everything to the letter of the law, my lawyer gave me advice and I followed that."

When quizzed about the most difficult part of his situation, the American said: "Having to look at myself like I never want to look at myself, how far astray I got from my core fundamentals and morals my mom and dad taught me.

"All the denial and rationalisation, to cut through that took a hard look at myself.

"The other difficult part has just been the constant harassment to my family, my wife and kids being photographed everywhere they go.

Irrelevant

"The fact I've won tournaments is irrelevant compared to the damage I've caused."

Woods also revealed he would continue to undergo the therapy he has been receiving during his self-imposed exile.

"Will I stop? No. I will continued with my treatment," he added. "That's not going to stop in the near future.

"I've come out a better person for it than when I went in.

"I did it to take a hard look at myself and that is what I did."

He revealed he had missed his son's first birthday to embark on his course of therapy, saying: "Probably just prior to Christmas I made the decision to enter rehab. That was a very difficult time. Because of the time frame I missed my son's first birthday and that hurts.

"That was very hard...something I regret and probably will for the rest of my life."

Woods then confirmed that wife Elin would not be attending The Masters this week, but insisted he was still as focused as ever on winning, declaring: "I will try and go out there and win this thing."

Concerning

But he then added: "The fact I haven't really played at all, that's a little bit concerning."

However, he said he was delighted to be teaming up again with caddie Steve Williams, stating: "To have Stevey back is tremendous. He's a great friend, always has been, always will be.

"We've had a long talk and it was a great talk as well."

However, he was adamant that winning golf tournaments would now be of secondary concern in comparison to his lifestyle, saying: "It's not about championships, it's about how you live your life. Going forward I need to be a better man than I was before."

to see the full press conference go to http://www.skysports.com/golf/ and click woods apologises to peers