Boston Globe attacks Rangers fans

Voicing his concerns about Fenway Park and Rangers fans marauding through Boston afterwards (and in the process giving a big thumbs up to Gillette Stadium), local Celtic Supporters Club chief Billy Ramsey says: “Segregation is going to be a major issue. Maybe if they gave them (Rangers) the bleachers and us the seats it might work.”

Aye right.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most notably, disaster struck at Rangers' Ibrox Stadium in 1971 following a crush-barrier failure, but it is widely accepted that the tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans played a major part in the 66 deaths that day

an outrageous comment to make. however the tension between the two teams played a large part in it, as if it wasnt such a big game, not as many people would have been there, they would not have been so determined to get back up the stairs and celebrate their teams goal etc. I think that is the point they are trying to make, not that we were the cause of the disaster.

However it is a very very very un-proffessional comment to make, especially when talking about Rangers past-histpry of violence and problems that fans caused...that played no part in the disaster!

[/quote

I don't actually believe you typed that

Kev , a well put letter mate :praise: keep us all posted how you get on with any reply, i'm just going on to give that bastard what for , ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL

I've sent this as feedback. Here's hoping I get a good reply

I am writing to complain about the ill-informed, poorly researched and, dare I say it, biased article by Mark Stokes that has appeared on your site (as linked below). Such is the level of rubbish spouted in this article, it has made its way across the Atlantic into Scottish news reports where it has caused mild outrage amongst the Rangers support.

The article in question appears to be nothing more than an attack on Rangers Football Club, with specific reference to its fanbase. Further, it attempts to paint Rangers fans as nothing but hooligans, whilst portraying Celtic fans as superior beings. How does it do this? Stokes use of very, very selective facts. He's quick to point out regretable issues in the club's past without explanation. I should note here that the 'Manchester Riots', although very saddening, were excaserbated by the poor organisation and heavy-handed policing of the Greater Manchester Police Force. I was there and seen what happened. Subsequent reports on the event have also pointed to this. Had Mr Stokes done his research he would have found this.

Mr Stokes goes on to list other issues (the issue he mentioned with Hibs merited 1 paragraph in Scotland's biggest selling daily newspaper, such was the non-importance of such a minor event) and argues that Celtic's past is not littered with such problems. If you have a quick glance at the comments posted below the article, one commenter has provided a list of events involving Celtic fans. I'm not going to repeat it, but everything there is easily findable with a quick Google search. Why did Mr Stokes not try this? If he did, he would've found much, much more as well.

I find it extremely disapointing that the Globe has printed this story. Believe it or not, yours is a paper I am familiar with, despite being thousands of miles away. You are a well known media outlet and, as such, I am astonished that you have printed such a poor article. But what sickens me most, is Mr Stokes attempt to vilify Rangers fans by accusing them of somehow being responsible for the Ibrox Disaster. The Ibrox Disaster was a tragedy. It had nothing to do with fan rivalry. Perhaps it can be put down Mr Stokes' poor research for this article, but I believe it something more sinister. To me, it looks as though Mr Stokes has used the tragic deaths of 66 fans as pointscoring. Disgusting.

I will be available through the email address provided for a response. I understand the response will not be immediate, but I do hope I receieve one. Journalistic bias such as this will only drag the name of your paper through the mud.

Thanks for your time

Kevin Anderson

Well Said Mate , Hope you get a reply

As someone who had been sticking up for Boston and want to see this game, I am absolutely appalled at this article. I shall be calling the Boston Globe and lodging a complaint, especially about the Ibrox Disaster comments. It's a shame as I know this jerk is not a true voice of the majority of folks in Boston. mad.gif

As someone who had been sticking up for Boston and want to see this game, I am absolutely appalled at this article. I shall be calling the Boston Globe and lodging a complaint, especially about the Ibrox Disaster comments. It's a shame as I know this jerk is not a true voice of the majority of folks in Boston. mad.gif

If you look back at the previous threads about this match, I was also still in major support of it. I still think that we need to reach out to American supporters and strengthen our fan base across the country. But I'm really embarrased by this article. Usually I'm a big fan of the Globe, even though I live 2 hours away and have other papers to read. Stokes has no blooming idea what he's talking about. Many Americans always complain about how football isn't worth anyone's while, yet when we get close to a friendly like this all they can talk about are the "hooligans."

I personally agree with Stokes that if the match were to happen in the Boston area, it should happen at Gillette, but that's an obvious opinion to have due to the differences in the two stadiums. Bottom line, Boston is truly beyond biased and while I would be sad to not get to go to such a match it might be better than having it in Little Dublin.

However, WE STILL ARE THE PEOPLE! Nae Dough but 2 in a row :wink: :wink:

No-one likes us, We don't care!

Obviously we'd all rather be looked upon in a positive light, but does it really matter? When we go over there and hump the Tims they'll see who the best team and who has the best supporters. (tu)

This guy left a comment telling of glasgows true shame

Glasgows True Shame

1. The fan who taunted Claudio Reyna shortly after 9/11 by making aeroplane gestures.

2. The IRA Chants and songs which were clearly heard at Fir Park when the rest of British football was asked to give a minutes silence.

3. The idiot who ran on the pitch during the Celtic vs AC Milan match to slap Dida.

4. The fan that hit Hugh Dallas on the head with a coin.

5. The TWO fans who invaded the pitch in an attempt to attack referee Hugh Dallas in the same Old Firm match

6. The fans who "celebrated" winning the league by ripping the seats from Rugby Park

7. The fan who threw a brick at the media room in the San Siro when Kaka scored to knock them out of last 16.

8. The fan who hit Fernando Ricksen with a coin.

9. The idiots who put Nacho Novo's personal details including his address on websites trying to encourage attacks on his home

10. The supporters who made £20,000 worth of damages to Ibrox mostly from ripping seats out during a Old Firm match in the early 1990's - the club even tried to get away without paying it and Celtic fans were banned from Ibrox for a season.

11. The fans who sent referee Konrad Plautz hate mail after he was in charge of the match which knocked Celtic out of the Champons League

12. The fans who attacked referee Mike McCurrys home whilst his wife and daughter were inside and he was in Inverness refereeing another match!!

13. The thousands of Celtic supporters at Ibrox who jeered and shouted racist chants whilst throwing bananas at Ranger's first black player, Mark Walters.

14. The man who stabbed a fellow fan in Seville in 2003.

15. The fans who refused to honour a minutes silence to honour the men and women who died for their freedom whilst fighting for their country.

16. The fans who walked out of the stadium during a minutes applause - which Celtic FC eventually agreed to do.

17. The self confessed Celtic fan who appeared on Big Brother where he admitted to having a criminal record including "religous bigotry" which he got for anti-protestant rants.

18. The seven fans who were arrested when travelling from Dublin to Edinburgh by air and attacked air stewardesses.

19. The two fans who wrote death threats to Dunfermline goalkeeper Derek Stillie, were they even wrote that they would kill the goalkeeper and his four year old son then rape his wife then leave the gas on in the house with his newly born daughter in the house.

20. The group of 14 fans who swore and started IRA chants whilst smoking cannabis on the EUROSTAR in front of a group of nuns.

Greatest fans in the world my yeah right

i read this earlier and was raging. i hope that an official at the club has been alerted to the post and the board think long and hard before committing to any "friendly" with that manky mob.

i was going to contact the paper earlier but noted that it was posted as a blog rather than printed as a physical paper so the likelyhood of getting an apology from the paper is unlikely.

Thats a fucking disgrace. So biased and ill-informed and tarnishes the name of our great club. The paper should issue an apology immediately.

And update us if you hear anything back Kev, good letter :praise:

Just the latest in a long line of poorly written articles from the Boston Globe's sports section.

Guys like Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy are essentially nation-wide jokes when it comes to sports reporting, and this Stokes character looks eager to join their ranks.