Boston Globe attacks Rangers fans

One of the reasons our club should go nowhere near this place.

What a totally biased and ridiculous article.

Alistair Johnston should be taking this newspaper to task for publicising this tripe.

This is what the 'neutrals' in Boston will be subjected to... so no doubt our supporters will be made very welcome Im sure.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say i was in favour of the match when it was announced - some much needed US attention, even if it was going to be like an away match. But i am deeply appalled that such an event was brought up and i am now reconsidering my opinion. An email has been sent.

My first comment was omitted as well, even though I kept it civil (which was very difficult!). Added another, though, for good measure (user name: maceye). In the end, I am not at all surprised at what was written - the usual stereotypical Sellick biased sh*te: they are saints, we are demons. Boston fully lived up to (or down to, as the case may be) my expectations. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Didn't take long for quotes from this thread to get posted in the Comments Section of the article either. 003.gif

But as I said in my last comment there, a surprising lack of comments from Kerrydalestreet, no?

well the home Basketball team is Boston Celtic

I hope we refuse the invitation due to the deep offence caused...disgusting article

The Boston Celtics has advanced to play LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA playoffs.

Removed my comment as well. Was quite a big one with facts and nothing sectarian and the only name calling was when I said the IRA are terrorist scum. Tims and facts eh :rolleyes:

Yeah removed mine too. Banned the account too by the looks of it.

Considering all I said was ''this is the most ill-informed, agenda ridden and downright bias thing I have ever read in the mainstream media''.

To think the Americans went into Iraq and Afghanistan to guarantee freedom of speech and they apparently don't have it in boston. I would honestly rather play in Dublin than that f*nian hole because irish americans are the absolute scum of the world.

The 66 comment grabs the attention but to bring up Barcelona and back franco's fascist riot police against free men is also unforgivable

A just ranted how he is a scumbag n their city is a shithole lol

He may be a scumbag but Boston is a really nice city. This one stupid (I won't call him a journalist) idiot is not a representative of all Bostonians. Please remember this, just as some of those who are printed in the Daily Rhebel are not true representatives of Glasgow.

Gers Explore USA Tour

by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS have confirmed that they are exploring pre-season matches in the USA this summer including an Old Firm game in Boston but have reacted to an inflammatory article in today's Boston Globe.

Chief Executive Martin Bain has indicated that the Light Blues are close to agreeing a fixture with MLS outfit DC United in Washington and there is a possibility of a game in Dallas as well as the match with Celtic.

However, he insists that the Glasgow derby on US soil is far from agreed yet.

The chief executive also intimated that Rangers will be taking the Boston Globe to task over an article today which, among other topics, implied that the 1971 Ibrox Disaster was as a result of fan tensions.

Martin Bain said: "Rangers Football Club has explored in recent weeks the possibility of an Old Firm fixture in Boston, a match against DC United in Washington and a further possible fixture in Dallas.

"The game against DC United whilst being agreed in principle is however subject to other arrangements being put in place.

"In relation to the match against Celtic, the Club is far from having anything confirmed and while we have received an extremely positive letter from the Mayor of Boston looking forward to our visit to the City, this is somewhat premature as we are still considering other pre-season options.

"It is extremely disappointing that comments in the Boston Globe do not reflect the Mayor of Boston's invitation letter to the Club. Rangers fans can be assured that the reference in this article to the Ibrox Disaster in particular, which is both inaccurate and offensive, will be taken up with the newspaper in question by the Club."

http://www.rangers.c...2254024_2038006

Well in Martin Bain,take them to task then tell them to shove their friendly.

If we wanted to be surrounded by jakey plastic paddy's we would go to the Gallogate.

This guy left a comment telling of glasgows true shame

Glasgows True Shame

1. The fan who taunted Claudio Reyna shortly after 9/11 by making aeroplane gestures.

2. The IRA Chants and songs which were clearly heard at Fir Park when the rest of British football was asked to give a minutes silence.

3. The idiot who ran on the pitch during the Celtic vs AC Milan match to slap Dida.

4. The fan that hit Hugh Dallas on the head with a coin.

5. The TWO fans who invaded the pitch in an attempt to attack referee Hugh Dallas in the same Old Firm match

6. The fans who "celebrated" winning the league by ripping the seats from Rugby Park

7. The fan who threw a brick at the media room in the San Siro when Kaka scored to knock them out of last 16.

8. The fan who hit Fernando Ricksen with a coin.

9. The idiots who put Nacho Novo's personal details including his address on websites trying to encourage attacks on his home

10. The supporters who made £20,000 worth of damages to Ibrox mostly from ripping seats out during a Old Firm match in the early 1990's - the club even tried to get away without paying it and Celtic fans were banned from Ibrox for a season.

11. The fans who sent referee Konrad Plautz hate mail after he was in charge of the match which knocked Celtic out of the Champons League

12. The fans who attacked referee Mike McCurrys home whilst his wife and daughter were inside and he was in Inverness refereeing another match!!

13. The thousands of Celtic supporters at Ibrox who jeered and shouted racist chants whilst throwing bananas at Ranger's first black player, Mark Walters. It was at Parkhead this happend its also on youtube.

14. The man who stabbed a fellow fan in Seville in 2003.

15. The fans who refused to honour a minutes silence to honour the men and women who died for their freedom whilst fighting for their country.

16. The fans who walked out of the stadium during a minutes applause - which Celtic FC eventually agreed to do.

17. The self confessed Celtic fan who appeared on Big Brother where he admitted to having a criminal record including "religous bigotry" which he got for anti-protestant rants.

18. The seven fans who were arrested when travelling from Dublin to Edinburgh by air and attacked air stewardesses.

19. The two fans who wrote death threats to Dunfermline goalkeeper Derek Stillie, were they even wrote that they would kill the goalkeeper and his four year old son then rape his wife then leave the gas on in the house with his newly born daughter in the house.

20. The group of 14 fans who swore and started IRA chants whilst smoking cannabis on the EUROSTAR in front of a group of nuns.

Greatest fans in the world my yeah right

BOSTON has sparked fury with a campaign to halt a unique Old Firm derby in the city after claims that Rangers fans could run riot.

Celtic and Rangers could land a £1million-plus close-season bonanza with a friendly in the US.

But the Boston Globe - one of America's most-respected journals - is leading the bid to have the game at Fenway Park called off.

It has accused Gers supporters of causing mayhem and violence at home and abroad.

In a stinging editorial, it falsely claims "tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans" caused the Ibrox Disaster in 1971.

The astonishing attack has been slammed by the SPL champions and has sparked a fierce backlash from angry Gers fans.

The Boston Globe wrote: "While it is recognised that not all Rangers fans involve themselves in such activity, one can't help wonder how the city of Boston will fare after a Fenway game, should the Rangers faithful feel the need to express themselves, as they did in Manchester in 2008.

"Following their team's defeat in the UEFA Cup Final, the blue-clad fans left parts of Manchester in a shambles and forced the local constabulary to don riot gear to restore order.

"But Rangers have a long history of violence on their travels, dating back decades.

"Who can forget their pitch invasion in Barcelona in 1972, which earned the club a one-year ban from European competition? The same fans brought their particular brand of fanaticism to Romania last year, clashing with police who were forced to use tear gas.

"With Spanish police reporting Rangers violence in 2006 (Villarreal) and 2007 (Barcelona), the list goes on and on.

"Most notably, disaster struck at Rangers' Ibrox Stadium in 1971 following a crush-barrier failure. It is widely accepted that the tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans played a major part in the 66 deaths.

"Celtic, by comparison, can be charged with, well, not much at all. If their arch-rivals have dragged the name of Glasgow through the mud, it must be said that Celtic fans have done their best to restore the good name."

Angry Rangers insist they will demand a retraction from the newspaper.

A spokesman said: "Rangers fans can be assured the reference in this article to the Ibrox Disaster, in particular, which is both inaccurate and offensive, will be taken up with the newspaper."

Stephen Smith, of the Rangers Supporters' Trust, said: "The remarks about 1971 are disgusting and entirely inaccurate."

Celtic, meanwhile, have added another date to their American tour. They will face Seattle Sounders on July 18.

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz0mRdZ1PDM

The link from the Sun