Naming stands after Rangers greats

MisterC

So was just saying in another thread there about naming stands etc after Rangers legends. Which ones would you guys go for and which ones would be most apt. The Davie Cooper Corner would be good and what about the Terry Hurlock club deck? In all seriousness though I think its a good idea and for me Walter Smith should have one named after him for all he has done for the club. Souness could not have done the job he did without Smiths help and since he took over both times he has been a big success with and without big resources and well known players with pedigree. Certainly as well the founding fathers should be honoured in this way as well. Thoughts please folks.

I wouldn't want to change the Copland as its a bit iconic if you know what i mean, same probably goes for the Govan.

Widny like to see the broomy named after a rangers great and being full of the papes upto 3-4 times a year.

I wouldn't want to change the Copland as its a bit iconic if you know what i mean, same probably goes for the Govan.

Widny like to see the broomy named after a rangers great and being full of the papes upto 3-4 times a year.

I wouldn't mind so much if Copland or Govan stayed in the name. "The Walter Smith Govan Stand", for example.

I agree with the second point.

To be honest, I have no problem with the name just now, but renaming a stand to something like "Walter Smith..." would be fitting for all that he has done for the club :praise:

I just hope neither of those ends end up being named after Jimmy Bell :lol:

Its not the worst idea of all time and it will also encourage bears of the future to look at the history of our great club and the figures who have it the institution we all love. I know theres the whole tradition issue but havent the stands been known by other names at various points in our great history?

I like the stands named as they are. Never been a fan of naming them after past players as the list is to subjective. Im sure Walter will be honured in some other way (maybe name one of the hospitality suites after him)

I like the stands named as they are. Never been a fan of naming them after past players as the list is to subjective. Im sure Walter will be honured in some other way (maybe name one of the hospitality suites after him)

Yeah but they're not exactly the most imaginatively titles stands though are they? I know its what we're used and change for the sake of change isnt always a good idea but I'd like to think we can do better for Walter than a facility for the prawn sandwich brigade.

So with the number of great players we have had since our begining I assume we will be changing the stand names on a weekly basis?

Of course not I am talking about those who have had an incredible stand out contribution to the club. We have the Bill Struth main stand already, perhaps one being renamed to honour the founding fathers may be worth a shout.

So with the number of great players we have had since our begining I assume we will be changing the stand names on a weekly basis?

Of course not I am talking about those who have had an incredible stand out contribution to the club. We have the Bill Struth main stand already, perhaps one being renamed to honour the founding fathers may be worth a shout.

But how would you choose what one?

But how would you choose what one?

A collective one, like the Gallant Pioneers Stand or the Founding Fathers Stand, other teams have stands named after teams and it pains me thinking of one example of this idea being in place. If it had to be one player from the birth of the club then it would have to be Moses McNeil imo. It seems to me theres a lot of interest in the very early days now with the Gallant Pioneers book and other stuff that has been going on recently including the expoits of our very own McBoyd. I feel perhaps our birth is one story the club have neglected to some extent to promote enough and perhaps it is time they were honoured in this way.

The Sir Walter Smith of Govan stand sounds pretty good to me.:beer1:

We have had too many brilliant players through the years to name

a COMPLETE stand after a player, so maybe sections of a stand ( The corners perhaps) could be named in honour of players such as Davie Cooper.

I think that no matter what they are officially called, they will still be referred to generally as The Govan,Copland,Broomloan and Main stands by the majority of the fans.

does anyone actually refer to it as the bill struth main stand?

i know it was renamed and theres a plaque etc, was there on the day it was done, but i still refer to it as the main stand,

me and all my mates/family just call it the main stand too :wink:

does anyone actually refer to it as the bill struth main stand?

i know it was renamed and theres a plaque etc, was there on the day it was done, but i still refer to it as the main stand,

They'll always be knows by their traditional names but who knows maybe the new names may just catch on with the Ibrox faithful :wink: