Andy Goram

Graeme_RFC

Never got the chance to see him in action but these videos are fantastic and now i understand why we love him so much with his performances against the bheggars

Meeting Goram just before the World Cup in 1998 was amazing :praise: Got him to sign my Scotland shirt but I can't remember if this was before or after Craig Brown decided not to take him... if it was after he probably thought I was taking the piss :(

Incredible. I was looking at Banks's 1970 save today v Pele (along with The Shagman v Werder). (Neither 'Keeper comes close to Andy.)

To be quite honest, Goram was the most consistent -- big time Goalkeeper I have seen. These compilations simply prove that. Seen them before.. but every time I watch it... I'm just in awe.

Thx for posting!

Legend.

He talks in his book about the save from VHD and obviously everyone pin points that but also mentions one he had for Scotland against Switzerland at the Euros, I think from Turkiylmaz, be good if anyone could find it?

I recall he was also awesome against the Dutch and had a beauty a save from Seedorf.

To think that fud Craig Brown then picked Leighton at the World Cup who was rank rotten in each of the 3 games, virtually threw the ball into the net against Morocco. And left Coisty out. Dick.

He is my hero. These videos only show some of the genius that the man produced. Can't believe Scotland actually had a debate about 'the flyingg pig' and jim Leighton. No contest!

I recall he was also awesome against the Dutch and had a beauty a save from Seedorf.

Yeah, I remember that one, I think he stopped a bullet of a ground level shot with one hand despite having a very poor field of view and the cameras cut to a gobsmacked Stuart McCall and Stuart McKimmie immediately afterwards.

That save, and some other fine examples of his brilliance, are in the video contained here http://www.football-lineups.com/match/54656/

amazing vids!!!!!!!!!! loved it...hez the reason i went in goals!!!!

I was at the game when he robbed Van donkey point blank from 5 yards out. i have no idea how he saved that. he is truly the best keeper we have ever had

Cannae believe it's nigh on 20 years ago already - where does the time go??? Goram must have been born on another planet, his saves were just other-worldly (especially against the Dark side!)

On topic with Goram here's his view on the Green incident

CRAIG BROWN did it to me before Euro 96.

Now Fabio Capello has done the same to Robert Green ahead of South Africa 2010. Difference is, I got away with it.

The lack of preparation time I got before the biggest tournament of my life didn't lead to any major mistakes - but England's No 1 hasn't been so lucky.

I don't blame the West Ham keeper for spilling the ball into the net against the USA on Saturday night.

It was a horrific mistake in anyone's book but as far as I'm concerned someone else must take responsibility for this blunder.

If you ask me it's Fabio's fault. Green only knew he was facing America less than TWO HOURS before kick-off.

Someone needs to explain to me why the hell the Italian coach thinks that's a good idea.

Players need time to get their heads absolutely right before any important international matches. Goalkeepers in particular. It's not simply a case of turning up and performing.

Capello must have known weeks ago who he was going to play between the sticks in England's World Cup opener.

He could have given Green confidence by telling him he was his man.

Instead he left him wondering and guessing if he was going to be playing at all. It's total MADNESS. It was the same with Scotland at Euro 96.

Wee Craig refused to reveal who would be starting in goals for our first game against Holland at Villa Park. It was between Jim Leighton and I and we spent weeks talking about it. It was agonising.

We'd train together and afterwards would look for little hints on who'd be getting the nod.

Eventually Craig pulled me aside and told me I was to play. It was less than two days before kick-off.

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted and thrilled to bits with the news. It was all I wanted but I'll never forget seeing Jim in tears out on the training pitch as he found out he wasn't selected.

I really felt for him as I knew how disappointed he must have been by the news but I didn't have time to think about anything other than playing against the Dutch.

Craig would have been much better breaking the news weeks earlier. It would have given Jim time to get his head around the fact he wasn't playing.

Likewise, it would have given me a huge boost. By the time of the game I'd have been on top of the world.

That's why I think Capello made the biggest blunder of all. He's caused this, not poor Rob Green.

For me Capello went with the wrong keeper in the first place.

That's not being wise after the event. In my eyes David James is England's best keeper at this moment. I know he's had injury problems but if he's in South Africa he must be available.

I think his experience puts him ahead of the rest.

He's top class quality and I think that he'd have made England far better defensively.

Not that I think Green is a bad goalie. He made a bad mistake but he'll know that more than anyone. People ask how the hell an international goalkeeper can allow the ball to slip through his fingers like that but it's just one of these inexplicable things.

It happens at games at every level every week.

Green is just unlucky that the eyes of the world were watching him when he slipped up.

The fact is he made a tremendous stop at his near post in the second half and for me that shows great character.

He could have buckled and gone under after losing the goal but he got his head straight and was focused for the rest of the game.

It's actually the sort of mistake which could be the MAKING of him.

Capello may consider dropping him for the next game against Algeria but that could work against him.

His replacement would arguably be under more pressure, although if Green does get to keep his place the opposition will maybe shoot from all angles. It's a situation which makes me think back to the time when I first signed for Rangers.

I was under pressure from day one given I'd come in to replace Chris Woods. After I made two howlers against Hearts at Tynecastle and Hibs at Ibrox the Rangers fans were singing 'What a waste of money'.

It was a tough time but Walter Smith pulled me aside and had a quiet word, explaining what he expected.

That's when I asked if he could bring in Alan Hodgkinson and from then on things worked out.

I look back now and believe the mistakes I made were the best thing which could have happened to me.

Only time will tell whether the lad Green in the England side feels the same.

It does make you think about how lucky we are to have so many top class goalkeepers available to play for Scotland.

It used to be that the English media slaughtered our goalies.

Can you imagine the reaction down south if one of our guys had made a mistake like the one Green made?

Craig Gordon or Allan McGregor wouldn't have lived it down.

As it is I reckon our friends down south must wish they had those two to choose from.

You could maybe say they're Green with envy!

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3012518/Blame-Fabio.html#ixzz0qmVGtPbR