Who Are The Emerging Nations?

Everybody seems to plump for the USA when this question is asked, but my two picks are Ghana and Japan.

When many expected it to be the Ivory Coast or Nigeria, Ghana have comfortably been the best African side at this world cup, when many expected them to struggle without Essien & a fully fit Appiah in the middle of the park.

More and more of their high profile players are playing in Europes top leagues and their U20 team won the world cup last year too with a string of African based players so there should be more to come from them in the next few years.

As for Japan, they pushed England close, the Dutch didn't have it easy and they destroyed a Danish side who were fantastic in qualifying.

Obviously they have that steroetypical work rate associated with Asian sides, but the speed and technique of their attack is also very impressive (only three European based players started in the game against Denmark) and as more and more of their players begin coming over to Europe I believe they might become a very decent outfit.

I doubt either will be World Cup winners, in any of the next two or three tournaments, but semi finalists. Maybe.

I'm going for an outsider even though they did not have a good WC.

I think Serbia are up there. Apart from a handful of players who are 30+ they have a good age group in the squad and who is to say they won't unearth some talented players coming through in the next few years.

I'm going for an outsider even though they did not have a good WC.

I think Serbia are up there. Apart from a handful of players who are 30+ they have a good age group in the squad and who is to say they won't unearth some talented players coming through in the next few years.

For some reason or another, Serbia always seems to be one of those 'teams on the rise' but sooner or later they're going to have to actually make a deep run in the WC or Euros. I think they were one of the most disappointing teams in 06 and this year as well.

Chile is one to watch, I've liked the look of them throughout this tournament. USA is still awhile away from making noise at the WC I think. We have some good players, but the game develops at a slower pace here compared to Euro/Latin countries. Hopefully some of the players on this years team can get moves to good clubs to help their development. A European coaching appraoch (Klinsmann maybe?) wouldn't hurt either.

Japan (tu) I dunno if their a better team than 06, since they've lost Nakata, Ono, and Nakamura who doesn't really get a game now...

Keisuke Honda is some fuckin player though, same with that Endo.

Germany.

Hardly an emerging nation as they are perennial contenders, but that's a very young team, and already capable of performing on the big stage. That generation of players will have another 2 maybe 3 world cups in them!

Spot on! They have the youngest side in the tournament and will go from strength to strength.