Why would we sign another defender?

Cant understand the reason why we would go out and sign another defender unless we`re going to punt one or two of them before the window shuts. It seems strange that with a limited budget we would go out and sign a player for the strongest part of our team?.

We have Webster,Weir,Wilson,Bougherra,Whittaker,Papac,Broadfoot and even McCulloch in a pinch why add to that when we need wide players and strikers more?.

Well im assuming he is thinking what all us fans though last season and may be using Whittaker as the right midfielder therefore leaving a space for a deputy right back but on the other hand we already have Jordan MCmillan signed up on a new deal and he can play a variety of positions so im gonna shut up now tbh sick of coming int he doom and gloom merchants threads :D

We need cover in the full back positions. Whittaker and Papac were both shown up in the Champions League last season

This.

Whittaker improved dramatically as the season progressed and Papac was decent but as far as cover goes we're struggling.

Who is our back up left back if Papac gets injured? Whittaker? :lol:

Just because it says defender doesn't mean it's gonna be a center back.. we could do with a backup fullback.. sure, we could use Wylde there but he's more of an attacking minded guy is he not?

Edit : I reread what I said there and it sounds like I'm disagreeing with the full back thing when I'm not. I definitely think we need another full back!

Can someone explain what this is actually about? <cr>

If it's to do with that Norwegian 18 year old who is on trial, remember he is only 18 and if given a contract he won't be for this season he will be for the future.

I'm sure Walter was quoted yesterday saying he wanted three players before the start of the season. A defender, midfielder and striker

I don't see it to be that strange tbh.

We are covered at RB with Whittaker, Broadfoot, McMillan. At CB we have 40 year old David Weir, injury prone Andy Webster and with the possibility of Wilson/Bougherra leaving. At LB we only have Papac. So for that reason I am not surprised we are looking at another defender. Possibly Jose Goncalves? He can play LB and CB so it would not surprise me to see him signed.

If it's to do with that Norwegian 18 year old who is on trial, remember he is only 18 and if given a contract he won't be for this season he will be for the future.

I'm sure Walter was quoted yesterday saying he wanted three players before the start of the season. A defender, midfielder and striker

Ahh, cheers, I wonder if that means he does see Wylde as being more of a left midfielder than left back then?

As been mentioned, centrally we do have cover as people should remember Perry, and we have cover at RB as well, the only position defensively I would see is the left back position.

Ahh, cheers, I wonder if that means he does see Wylde as being more of a left midfielder than left back then?

As been mentioned, centrally we do have cover as people should remember Perry, and we have cover at RB as well, the only position defensively I would see is the left back position.

To be honest i don't think any of our full backs are good enough. All good enough for the SPL but in Europe they are found wanting

Some of you guys are being a bit harsh on Whittaker and Papac, both of whom have been brilliant for us over the years. Yes whittaker wasnt great defensively in europe but i think he is more of a wide player than a full back.

Good standard in the SPL but not good enough for Europe. The amount of goals we lost on both flanks was frankly criminal

Some of you guys are being a bit harsh on Whittaker and Papac, both of whom have been brilliant for us over the years. Yes whittaker wasnt great defensively in europe but i think he is more of a wide player than a full back.

Good standard in the SPL but not good enough for Europe. The amount of goals we lost on both flanks was frankly criminal

to be honest we aint gonna get any european quality, and with things the way they are i would have good enough to win the spl players as this is and should be our main priority, afterall we need to finish top for any hope of progression next time round, i cant help feeling people want us to do domestic and european success, if we didnt get out the group stage this time round i wont be to worried, it vital we win the league and support the team in this euro campaign, i would dread to think what team morale would be like if the team got a hard time in europe from fans, we gotta be realistic with what we can achieve, albeit the group stage aint even drawn and transfer window not shut so that opinion might change

to be honest we aint gonna get any european quality, and with things the way they are i would have good enough to win the spl players as this is and should be our main priority, afterall we need to finish top for any hope of progression next time round, i cant help feeling people want us to do domestic and european success, if we didnt get out the group stage this time round i wont be to worried, it vital we win the league and support the team in this euro campaign, i would dread to think what team morale would be like if the team got a hard time in europe from fans, we gotta be realistic with what we can achieve, albeit the group stage aint even drawn and transfer window not shut so that opinion might change

I agree with what ur saying to an extent mate but if money is available we should be looking to stengthen our weakest areas on the park, which are both flanks. To be honest I think the spine of our team is pretty good.

Sure we could do with another striker but overall our goalkeepers, centre backs and central midfield are of a pretty good standard.

Whittaker and Papac get caught out far too often by not coming out to their attackers, not closing down properly and allowing crosses to get into our box. I would accept that they are not helped by those in front of them not being naturally right and left sided midfielders but most are basic errors on their part.

I agree with what ur saying to an extent mate but if money is available we should be looking to stengthen our weakest areas on the park, which are both flanks. To be honest I think the spine of our team is pretty good.

Sure we could do with another striker but overall our goalkeepers, centre backs and central midfield are of a pretty good standard.

Whittaker and Papac get caught out far too often by not coming out to their attackers, not closing down properly and allowing crosses to get into our box. I would accept that they are not helped by those in front of them not being naturally right and left sided midfielders but most are basic errors on their part.

dunno about you but two things i hated watching in football was the rangers and scotland, i was always to anxious with the rangers as i always wanted them and hoped they could succeed at everything just like i did with scotland, blind faith i think it is but nowadays i feel relaxed as the only pressure now is getting into europe and that means finishing first to have any chance, it wont stop me hoping but no more am i biting my nails with worry of being let down, ill look on the european campaign as much needed income and i dont feel the pressure in europe anymore, maybe thats just me and iv accepted where we are at for now.

i still think we will win the league with the squad we got and i really do and im hoping for a couple of signings and whatever happens in the group stages happens and if there is any success in the group it will be a welcome bonus

dunno about you but two things i hated watching in football was the rangers and scotland, i was always to anxious with the rangers as i always wanted them and hoped they could succeed at everything just like i did with scotland, blind faith i think it is but nowadays i feel relaxed as the only pressure now is getting into europe and that means finishing first to have any chance, it wont stop me hoping but no more am i biting my nails with worry of being let down, ill look on the european campaign as much needed income and i dont feel the pressure in europe anymore, maybe thats just me and iv accepted where we are at for now.

i still think we will win the league with the squad we got and i really do and im hoping for a couple of signings and whatever happens in the group stages happens and if there is any success in the group it will be a welcome bonus

Well at the start of the new season I usually say a successful season for us is winning the title and getting into Europe after Xmas but that's getting increasingly doubtful. If we can get into the Europa League after Xmas that would be a huge achievement with our squad.

What I would say is that you need a bit of luck in the Champions League and we got fuck all last season. We outplayed Sevilla in the first half at Ibrox and got denied a stonewall penalty. That could have changed the game.

Davis missed a penalty against Unirea which would have put us 2-1 up and over in Romania we got a draw thanks to a wonder goal from their mob.