The "I'll still support Gers''? trend....

Where has all this ''I'll still support Rangers'', and ''I wont stop supporting the Bears'', and ''through the good times...and the bad times'' stuff came from????

Is it not a 'given' that, as a supporter of The Rangers, that we support the team through thick and thin (even though we have just bagged 2-in-a-row) - i think this should kind of go without saying - as opposed to 'fans' making themselves feel very humble and important at sharing with us that they will continue to support the team we all grew up loving, and continue to love 'despite selling aww oor players...' - how bold and very very kind of them to join in eh?

I have never heard so much pish in all my life.

If you support Rangers genuinely, its part and parcel of the whole word support - you offer your support when good, bad or indifferent.

You offer your support when we have too many players and when we are promoting youth players to make up the numbers.

There should be no 'roll of honour' or glory hunt that to continue supporting Gers during this interim period of financial problems resulting in us losing key players (before we have even signed anyone who MAY bring these people back?) - this just seems to be a new thing.

Again, maybe im missing the point - maybe these people making their point about continuous support are really BRAVE and thick-skinned and should be praised for giving us their time despite our poor financial status?

Rubbish.

If the Gers financial problems, and the possibility of us maybe not winning 3 titles in a row is tooooo much for you to take...then you truly are not a Rangers Supporter and should fuck off back to playing with yer xbox.

No Surrender.

Walter's here for 3-in-a-row!

You are right in a way but you are wrong in that you can't expect people not to moan and complain, we have every right to and are right to express our concerns,doesn't mean we/someone doesn't supprt the team

Can you explain the massive jump in attendances from the mid to late eighties?

A rather naive thread to say the least.

There is a difference between the situation in the eighties, to the situation now.

The massive jump in the attendances in the eighties went the other way.....from when we were pish and winning nothing....to total domination in our country.

this time round the fans seem to be declaring themselves as heroes for STILL attending - while we're 2-in-a-row up, and in the Champions League.

Therefore, these so called heroes are 'going out their way' and should be praised for still having the bottle to support us during the 'up and coming doom and gloom' they expect!

So much for In Walter We Trust eh?

Its not a fashion statement to support Rangers - you either do it, or dont.

If you do - do it with pride, but dont expect thanks for it - its our own choice. Enjoy the journey - the ups and downs even themselves out.

If you dont - then fuck off and dont come back when we make 3-in-a-row and pretend you never fucked off in the first place.

To say this thread is naieve...have a look closer to home. This has nothing to do with the 80's - this is the here and now.

No Surrender.

There is a difference between the situation in the eighties, to the situation now.

The massive jump in the attendances in the eighties went the other way.....from when we were pish and winning nothing....to total domination in our country.

this time round the fans seem to be declaring themselves as heroes for STILL attending - while we're 2-in-a-row up, and in the Champions League.

Therefore, these so called heroes are 'going out their way' and should be praised for still having the bottle to support us during the 'up and coming doom and gloom' they expect!

If you do - do it with pride, but dont expect thanks for it - its our own choice. Enjoy the journey - the ups and downs even themselves out.

If you dont - then fuck off and dont come back when we make 3-in-a-row and pretend you never fucked off in the first place.

To say this thread is naieve...have a look closer to home. This has nothing to do with the 80's - this is the here and now.

No Surrender.

Are you really that stupid?

The attendances were down in the early eighties because we were shite and winning nothing. They then started to rise because we started doing something on the park.

We are looking to all intents and purposes at losing a high number of first team regulars with not a lot replacing them, we are no longer entertaining in what has become a very expensive sport to be a spectator at.

If have you have not noticed, the crowds have been dropping, tickets for away games have become much more accessible when required, it will get worse if this situation keeps going the way it is going.

For the record, I am old enough to remember part of the early eighties, I was taken to games where I could play football on the terracing there was that much space. I won't be giving up.

To come away with all this uberfan shite is a joke, football fans are football fans, they like to watch entertaining football, if that cannot be achieved they want to watch winners, many don't see us going either way in the foreseeable future, many have given up already and many more will follow if things continue the way they are. Its the nature of the beast that is football.

No Surrender.

Are you really that stupid?

The attendances were down in the early eighties because we were shite and winning nothing. They then started to rise because we started doing something on the park.

We are looking to all intents and purposes at losing a high number of first team regulars with not a lot replacing them, we are no longer entertaining in what has become a very expensive sport to be a spectator at.

If have you have not noticed, the crowds have been dropping, tickets for away games have become much more accessible when required, it will get worse if this situation keeps going the way it is going.

For the record, I am old enough to remember part of the early eighties, I was taken to games where I could play football on the terracing there was that much space. I won't be giving up.

To come away with all this uberfan shite is a joke, football fans are football fans, they like to watch entertaining football, if that cannot be achieved they want to watch winners, many don't see us going either way in the foreseeable future, many have given up already and many more will follow if things continue the way they are. Its the nature of the beast that is football.

When did i say i was some kind of 'uberfan'? see your jumping the gun, again!

Of course fans want to watch winners - but again, without actually reading my point you just blab on and on.

The point i am making is (for the 3rd fucking time) - support Rangers the way you wish to support us - but dont expect a fucking medal for supporting us through thick and thin.

The word SUPPORTER has been bastardised through the generations, and as you say, you were there during the 80s as i was just starting my apprenticeship in supporting the Bears (i say that, as alot of people here make it feel like a full time job!! lol) so i know also that the support weaned during the early 80s when we were pish and winning nothing, so you probably kicked a ball around the Copland with my Old Man and older brother - but AGAIN im repeating myself - its the opposite way round now...we ARE and HAVE been winning titles and are still in European football...therefore this self-aknowledging supporter of the year award people keep awarding themselves makes me boak as its not exactly as if we've been starved of success lately.

People look at the papes and think ''oh shit...theyre spendin cash and we aint...im no going back'' - FUCK THEM.

Yes - we MAY have a much weaker team next season (wait on our potential signings before deciding this) but then...is this when our UBERFANS make their decision? or is it NOW? or is it at the end of NEXT season?

Personally, and i know that all REAL Rangers fans - as much as it hurts to see the teams major players deminish...we dont call for supporter of the year awards...we call for a rally of REAL supporters.

That is the point i was making.

When did i say i was some kind of 'uberfan'? see your jumping the gun, again!

Your OP said it. Someone else has already stated that.

(haven't read the rest of your post yet, will reply to that in a minute)

Rubbish.

If the Gers financial problems, and the possibility of us maybe not winning 3 titles in a row is tooooo much for you to take...then you truly are not a Rangers Supporter and should fuck off back to playing with yer xbox.

From your OP Kenny.

That is an uberfan statement.

Many many fans, not just youngsters playing their x-boxes have already started jumping ship for a number of reasons than just this summer, cup game attendances alone tell the story, too many people are afraid of giving up their season tickets otherwise there would be a completely different level of attendances at league games.

There are folk who like to post on the internet that they want a refund and are sending their ticket back, there are folk who want to announce they are the best fan at the club, is it attention seeking? possibly, it's up to the individual, For very one there is another.

As already stated, it's the nature of the beast that is the football fan.

Rubbish.

From your OP Kenny.

That is an uberfan statement.

Many many fans, not just youngsters playing their x-boxes have already started jumping ship for a number of reasons than just this summer, cup game attendances alone tell the story, too many people are afraid of giving up their season tickets otherwise there would be a completely different level of attendances at league games.

There are folk who like to post on the internet that they want a refund and are sending their ticket back, there are folk who want to announce they are the best fan at the club, is it attention seeking? possibly, it's up to the individual, For very one there is another.

As already stated, it's the nature of the beast that is the football fan.

I DO agree with most of your points, but what im saying is that i am not making out that i am an uberfan (why we speaka da german! lol)

just the fact that folk make such a dramatic scene and point of supporting THEIR club - the club they love.

but - a point on attendances:

Season tickets in the early 90's onwards, until very recently ALL cup games up until a certain stage in the competition, were included in the cup competitions - therefore, for example, 3rd round League Cup...Rangers v East Stirling as part of your season ticket...alot of people thought ''ive paid for this...so im going to see The Rangers'' as much as the game was ALWAYS going to be rather pish.

Nowadays, when these games are not covered in season tickets - do not expect 40,000 at the game...expect 18,000 coming to watch the brutal game that is coming their way at extra added expense.

We are not all minted - therefore we cannot all attend all matches. that is fact.

Those who DO attend all matches - hats clean off to you.

Those who attend games until it looks like 'things might go tits up' and sack it - fuck off.

Originally r.e the cup games, I blame the attitudes from English League cups for this - as the top English sides fielded weakened teams due to the importance of the bread and butter of their domestic league...therefore playing youths.

We have followed suit and realised that winning the league cup does fuck all for you other than make up the Treble!

If people are genuine glory hunters, fair enough. We have seen them in the past and we will see them in the future.

The days of the 80's was due to the total dominance of other teams (not just the papes) and it was a GRADUAL downer for the Bears - still not condoning the lack of support...all i REPEATEDLY am saying is...why should some CURRENT Rangers fan feel such pride for saying that they will STILL support the Rangers through this period, despite our very successful past couple of seasons when timmy have won fuck all.

It bemuses me.

I won't comment on the majority of your post, as well written as it is, that to me is for a new thread.

all i REPEATEDLY am saying is...why should some CURRENT Rangers fan feel such pride for saying that they will STILL support the Rangers through this period, despite our very successful past couple of seasons when timmy have won fuck all.

It bemuses me.

I imagine the fans you are referring to are doing it in direct retaliation to the fans who are stating they are giving up.

Again, it's the nature of the beast. 'I am a better fan than you' type of attitude, which is to an extent understandable, I personally have no plans to give up (I enjoy my time away from the wife and kids too much), but I can understand the reasons that some do, I can also understand the reason for stating 'I won't give up' as a show of pride.

The internet has thrown up totally different types of supporters to what I was brought up with, not one's I am particularly happy with, but that is progression for you.

Again as stated, for every one there is another.

You are right in a way but you are wrong in that you can't expect people not to moan and complain, we have every right to and are right to express our concerns,doesn't mean we/someone doesn't supprt the team

(tu)

Im fucking depressed at the whole situation surrounding our club at the moment,not with the player sales,nor the debt or supposed tax case or the failure of finding a new owner no!

NO im fucking depressed at the uncertainty surrounding the club that i love,a club that i have been brought up with and proud to support,an association with a club that has been loved by my family through the decades,a club that binds mutual friendship between me and my fellow supporters.

I cannot express what the club means to me on many levels other than going to the games at the weekend as it is far more than that.

And for that i will say to the person whom started this thread this,that is of YOUR opinion and others have a different outlook to yourself but never ever knock them as they just have differing opinions to those of yourself and those people are YOUR fellow supporters and you are in no position to condem thier reaction to what is happening to the club they love,just as i have no right to condem your view hence i will say no more! :wink:

I won't comment on the majority of your post, as well written as it is, that to me is for a new thread.

all i REPEATEDLY am saying is...why should some CURRENT Rangers fan feel such pride for saying that they will STILL support the Rangers through this period, despite our very successful past couple of seasons when timmy have won fuck all.

It bemuses me.

I imagine the fans you are referring to are doing it in direct retaliation to the fans who are stating they are giving up.

Again, it's the nature of the beast. 'I am a better fan than you' type of attitude, which is to an extent understandable, I personally have no plans to give up (I enjoy my time away from the wife and kids too much), but I can understand the reasons that some do, I can also understand the reason for stating 'I won't give up' as a show of pride.

The internet has thrown up totally different types of supporters to what I was brought up with, not one's I am particularly happy with, but that is progression for you.

Well said sir.

Im glad you agree on certain points.

There IS an element of 'better fan than you' and 'giving up on the Gers' which, as you say, was NOT the vein of thought during the days of growing up with Rangers, growing up a Rangers, growing up living the Rangers life where your life revolved around the fixtures list and access to teletext!! but yes, i agree that its different times we're in, and maybe im too old beyond my 28 years that lie before me, but just cannot accept the surrender of support so easily, particularly when its a 'projected surrender' - namely giving in before anything has been lost.

These people are showing Lemon far too much respect - the guy is a rookie, signing players who certainly have DIG, but will they work together? perhaps. but perhaps not.

PLG and Monkey Heid both have very, very similar ideas for the SPL - play football beyond the means of your opposition, and you will win 99% of the time.

This proved to be bollocks as they didnt take into account that these fancy skillful players couldnt face up to getting the shit kicked out of them.

Lemmon has went the opposite way...and building a team of players whom he mostly thinks can kick the shit out of others...yet the mexican for a start, will be offski at January as 'its too cold', a few injuries to the primadona's hes signing and the others shall need to prove themselves to be worthy.

We have yet to make signings....but it is impossible for us NOT to sign anyone as we have a squad smaller than Renfrew Juniors...so lets hang back.

We are, and always will be, the people.

Again as stated, for every one there is another.

Just to finish off Kenny,

I am not concerned about what they are doing any where near as much as I am concerned about what we are not doing.

If things continue in the same way we have some troubled times ahead.

I'm a bit of a complainer myself but i've never stopped attending games and don't intend to in the near future, the season ticket got renewed without a second thought as always.

But i will speak out whether it be at games or on here if i'm not happy and despite the recent trophy success there's no a lot for fans to be optimistic about currently.

Understand what the OP means here, why feel the need to say that you are still going to support your club, it's kinda stating the obvious! Well the majority of the time, the only time I can see it being said is in reply to someone saying they are giving up season tickets or not follown us anymore or sumthng!

Understand what the OP means here, why feel the need to say that you are still going to support your club, it's kinda stating the obvious! Well the majority of the time, the only time I can see it being said is in reply to someone saying they are giving up season tickets or not follown us anymore or sumthng!

Unless you are blind and ignorant you will realise these instances are happening on a regular basis now.

Where has all this ''I'll still support Rangers'', and ''I wont stop supporting the Bears'', and ''through the good times...and the bad times'' stuff came from????

Is it not a 'given' that, as a supporter of The Rangers, that we support the team through thick and thin (even though we have just bagged 2-in-a-row) - i think this should kind of go without saying - as opposed to 'fans' making themselves feel very humble and important at sharing with us that they will continue to support the team we all grew up loving, and continue to love 'despite selling aww oor players...' - how bold and very very kind of them to join in eh?

If you support Rangers genuinely, its part and parcel of the whole word support - you offer your support when good, bad or indifferent.

You offer your support when we have too many players and when we are promoting youth players to make up the numbers.

There should be no 'roll of honour' or glory hunt that to continue supporting Gers during this interim period of financial problems resulting in us losing key players (before we have even signed anyone who MAY bring these people back?) - this just seems to be a new thing.

Again, maybe im missing the point - maybe these people making their point about continuous support are really BRAVE and thick-skinned and should be praised for giving us their time despite our poor financial status?

Rubbish.

No Surrender.

Beg to differ on this one....I think it's the loyalty and enthusiasm of the fans that has played a big part in us being the successful club that we are. I also think that it's the threat of losing our support that has pushed our club's hierarchy into making the changes needed to strive for that success throughout our history

I started going in the sixties and remember a lot of pishing , moaning and protests back then. I don't get to many now but I feel we're in another phase where the support needs to remind the board that, yes we love Rangers but don't dare take us for granted.

Football in general has taken our songs, our terraces, they want our enthusiasm, but in a choirboy kind of way. That's fair enough as it's the politically correct times we're in, but the people running our club should NEVER be allowed to think that striving to be anything but the best in this country is acceptable at ANY TIME. If that means tightening our belts this year to clear the debt to secure our future, that's fine but they should have enough respect for us to at least tell us how we're doing in this contest.

If the day ever comes when every Rangers fan turns into a happy clapper and assures our directors that we will always be there no matter what..... GOD HELP OUR CLUB FROM THAT DAY ON.

Rubbish.

No Surrender.

Beg to differ on this one....I think it's the loyalty and enthusiasm of the fans that has played a big part in us being the successful club that we are. I also think that it's the threat of losing our support that has pushed our club's hierarchy into making the changes needed to strive for that success throughout our history

I started going in the sixties and remember a lot of pishing , moaning and protests back then. I don't get to many now but I feel we're in another phase where the support needs to remind the board that, yes we love Rangers but don't dare take us for granted.

Football in general has taken our songs, our terraces, they want our enthusiasm, but in a choirboy kind of way. That's fair enough as it's the politically correct times we're in, but the people running our club should NEVER be allowed to think that striving to be anything but the best in this country is acceptable at ANY TIME. If that means tightening our belts this year to clear the debt to secure our future, that's fine but they should have enough respect for us to at least tell us how we're doing in this contest.

If the day ever comes when every Rangers fan turns into a happy clapper and assures our directors that we will always be there no matter what..... GOD HELP OUR CLUB FROM THAT DAY ON.

The highlighted quote should be set in stone above the main door. :clap:

Well said Minnbear.

Some good debating in this post rather than the usual slagging matches, imo football fans are football fans the world over regardless.For instance if you support Alloa ( in which case you could follow them your entire lifetime and the highlight would maybe be a couple of promotions) would these supporters moan and groan on a weekly basis? you bet they will, would they chuck it? no chance! its what being a fans all about, theres just different levels of expectation, Rangers are historically a cup and league winning club, but you cant win everything, some of the younger fans are bloated on success and maybe cant handle a potential rough spot.

We have won the league for the last two seasons so its hardly even a blip ffs, of all the players out the door, from a football point of view, Boyd apart for nicking goals to give us a one goal victory will not be missed, it would be nice to have a few bodies in now to allow the team to gel but thats the transfer market for you, it will happen before the end of the window though.

Danny Wilson got his chance to shine due to circumstances surrounding Bougherra, if Bougherra had been an ever present he would have hardly figured, lets see if ,Ness,Shinnie and Wylde etc can step up to the plate and "do a Wilson".

We will always have a potential massive support, think back to the huge crowds of the 40s,50s and 60s all the guys watching then will have sons who will have sons who will keep up the family tradition of supporting The Rangers.

People are stating they will still support Rangers through thick and thin as there are people sending season tickets back and saying they aren't turning up to watch a team that have no chance of winning anything (tu)

It was ever thus. A clear difference is that people can now declare this on web-sites and heated (if largely idiotic) debate follows.

Rubbish.

No Surrender.

Great post mate! dont know how there are wavering levels of support within some of our ranks! we are still the champions and we still have Walter! WATP!!

I dont come on and say I'll support Rangers thru thick and thin to set some kind of trend and I'm sure the majority of the fans are also genuine what they're saying about sticking by the team. I followed Rangers in the late 60's to the middle 70's when THE ENEMY dominated scottish football I also stood in crowds of 17,000 when John Greig had little success in the 80's and it didn't get any better under big Jock Wallace when he took over Rangers in his second spell but I always stuck by the team and always went to the brox I'm not looking for a round of applause or a medal all I'm saying to some guys who are thinking of not going back or are thinking of handing their season tickets back to remember that being a fan is not all about winning cups as I've been there when we were winning cups and also when we were winning fuck all just keep the faith we will be back. :uk: