Should 'kids' have got a start at all in Australia or more than half an hour?

Boab

Preseason friendlys are a perfect opportunity for the young lads to get some game time and so far this season they havent had much last season was non existant. I thought Wylde would have got a chance with Papac being injured and i thought Shinnie would have got a chance on the right of Midfield.

I was also expedting Fleck to get a few starts

Under any other manager they would have done :anguish:

Yet in the short period of time they did get they appeared confident and in no way looked out their depth.

All they need is a manager who believes in them.

Under any other manager as in... One with a decent sized squad and with some youth capable of performing on the big stage? Walter knows what hes doing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Preseason friendlys are a perfect opportunity for the young lads to get some game time and so far this season they havent had much last season was non existant. I thought Wylde would have got a chance with Papac being injured and i thought Shinnie would have got a chance on the right of Midfield.

I was also expedting Fleck to get a few starts

Under any other manager they would have done :anguish:

Yet in the short period of time they did get they appeared confident and in no way looked out their depth.

All they need is a manager who believes in them.

Under any other manager as in... One with a decent sized squad and with some youth capable of performing on the big stage? Walter knows what hes doing.

Having a small squad makes it more important to give the younger players experience in a season when he may be forced into using them

Did you think any younger player looked any worse than the men they replaced?

WS would rather move a more experienced player into a foreign position and in the process upset the balance of the team than show faith in a youngster

Always has done Always will do.

@ andy -

yes wylde is a left wide player, lafferty despite playing there, is not, lafferty will offer more as a central striker

whittaker is one of my favourite players, i would even play him in front of papac until we find a real left back, i said swap broadfoot for whitts, left to right, whitts is better than broadfoot on the left hand side as he can at least use his left peg when needs be, cutting in on his right he is also deadly, big kirk is better on the right hand side imo of course

is that the only 2 exceptions you had to my post? mmmmmm

seems like it wasnt anywhere close to our best 11 right enough!

:wink:

@ andy -

yes wylde is a left wide player, lafferty despite playing there, is not, lafferty will offer more as a central striker

whittaker is one of my favourite players, i would even play him in front of papac until we find a real left back, i said swap broadfoot for whitts, left to right, whitts is better than broadfoot on the left hand side as he can at least use his left peg when needs be, cutting in on his right he is also deadly, big kirk is better on the right hand side imo of course

Naw not the only 2 exceptions, just felt like picking out the 2 most ridiculous ones!

Someone who would like to see our backline as Whittaker__Webster__Bougherra__Broadfoot has clearly lost the plot!

@ andy -

Naw not the only 2 exceptions, just felt like picking out the 2 most ridiculous ones!

Someone who would like to see our backline as Whittaker__Webster__Bougherra__Broadfoot has clearly lost the plot!

:lol:

much rather them 4 than having weir and papac in there!

i wont and cant deny we need a new left back, been saying it for years

webster and bougherra will be great together and whittaker and broadfoot can fight it out for RB

now worries there

nothing ridiculous about it at all

The kids should have been integrated more on this tour. As soon as we get a few injuries these lads will be thrust straight in at the deep end and that is unfair on them. It would be better to get them some game time when there is less pressure on them (tu)

Of course they should have got a good run out. They will leanr more from playing against AEK Athens and getting beat 1-0 than playing against a team like Clyde and winning 3-0.

I doubt if we will see a lot of the youngsters this season. If they don't get on in a game against Sydney FC what are the chances of them playing in the SPL on a regular basis. Walter knows what McCulloch, Miller, Davis, Naismith, Weir etc can do so why not give the likes of Wylde, Shinnie, Ness, Perry a good 30-45 minutes of playing time, not 5 minutes at the end of the match.

Of course they should have got a good run out. They will have learnt more from playing against AEK Athens and getting beat 1-0 than playing against a team like Clyde and winning 3-0.

Exactly why I mentioned that in the OP.

With none of these young guys getting any real match time on this tour, I watched them very closely at the training sessions and I can tell you that their performances at training were as good if not better than quite a few of the established players.

Young Jamie Ness was a standout on the Friday session and Wylde wasn't out of place either as was Fleck.

As a football coach, I would have had no qualms starting these kids against AEK, even although training and playing is obviously a completely different ball game.

I'll say with confidence that Jamie Ness will turn out to be a better prospect than Danny Wilson was....and I had very high hopes for that kid.

(tu)

With none of these young guys getting any real match time on this tour, I watched them very closely at the training sessions and I can tell you that their performances at training were as good if not better than quite a few of the established players.

Young Jamie Ness was a standout on the Friday session and Wylde wasn't out of place either as was Fleck.

As a football coach, I would have had no qualms starting these kids against AEK, even although training and playing is obviously a completely different ball game.

I'll say with confidence that Jamie Ness will turn out to be a better prospect than Danny Wilson was....and I had very high hopes for that kid.

(tu)

I would have no hesitation in playing Jamie Ness alongside Davis in midfield this season.

Was back to predictable Walter.

Weir and McCulloch main stays. Miller and Lafferty playing with injuries.

Don't get me wrong, I felt for 60 minutes we played well and should have been winning, but that tournament was never about winning. It was about seeing if any of the younger players could adapt and play for Rangers.

After the hour mark it was evident we were tiring and AEK were getting stronger (Fresh legs from the bench). Substitutions should have been made at that point.

It was no shock to see AEK score and it was no more of a shock to see Walter react after the goal was conceded.

He must change his ways and give some youth players a chance. If we get injuries and they are all forced to play we will then be entering the unknown.

Extremely disappointing use of players on the trip.

Thanks for that post, very interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I felt for 60 minutes we played well and should have been winning, but that tournament was never about winning. It was about seeing if any of the younger players could adapt and play for Rangers.

After the hour mark it was evident we were tiring and AEK were getting stronger (Fresh legs from the bench). Substitutions should have been made at that point.

It was no shock to see AEK score and it was no more of a shock to see Walter react after the goal was conceded.

He must change his ways and give some youth players a chance. If we get injuries and they are all forced to play we will then be entering the unknown.

Great post also.

(tu)

Has WS done anything in his second spell that would encourage you to think he will place some trust in younger players who by his own admission he may have to rely on this season.

Lets remember McMillan, Shinnie, Loy and Perry are in their early 20s and should have been given some game time by now.

Can't say I'm shocked.

The old 'youth will get a chance' line has been ran out nearly every year since Smith got back.

Maybe Walter thinks training with the 1st team is good enough for these youngsters but he should have given tham all some game time.Otherwise what was the point in taking them? McCoist should also have a much bigger say since he inherits this team next year.But does he?

Gettin pretty fuckin sick about this whingin about the youngsters

1) They aint that good, and they need to earn the right to be in the 1st team. Are they doing that?

2) Although Walter said they will be used, its not every week, hes talking about December when we have 3 games a week, CIS cup etc None of them are going to be starting any time soon

1) They aint that good, and they need to earn the right to be in the 1st team. Are they doing that?

2) Although Walter said they will be used, its not every week, hes talking about December when we have 3 games a week, CIS cup etc None of them are going to be starting any time soon

1)How will we know if they never get a chance?

2)Probably the first CIS Cup game then, as usual, the odd seat on the bench.

The whinging about youngsters is to do with good management and the future because, unlike the last time when Walter left us with a skeleton squad and no youngsters who had any real experience,we do not have money to go out and buy half a squad.

1)How will we know if they never get a chance?

2)Probably the first CIS Cup game then, as usual, the odd seat on the bench.

The whinging about youngsters is to do with good management and the future because, unlike the last time when Walter left us with a skeleton squad and no youngsters who had any real experience,we do not have money to go out and buy half a squad.

(tu)

100% Correct

Would we ever have known how good Danny Wilson was had WS not played him

Would Liverpool have bid £2 million with add ons had DW not have impressed during Champions League last season.

Rangers got the benefit from both a football & Financial perspective.

It just may work again.