Can we do something in the CL?

MisterC

If we play the usual Walter set up and tactics we will be lucky to get more than 1 point.We must show some sort of ambition at Ibrox this season. Away from home we do not have the playes who can keep possession and make the short accurate passes that are paramount in Europe so once again sitting back inviting attacks will cost us dearly We must try to impose some semblance of threat to the opposition to give our defence respite from the constant pressure our european tactics bring.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we play the usual Walter set up and tactics we will be lucky to get more than 1 point.We must show some sort of ambition at Ibrox this season. Away from home we do not have the playes who can keep possession and make the short accurate passes that are paramount in Europe so once again sitting back inviting attacks will cost us dearly We must try to impose some semblance of threat to the opposition to give our defence respite from the constant pressure our european tactics bring.

1 point away (draw with buraspor) and 7 points at home (draw with utd)

Can't see us doing much in the CL to be honest, always optimistic before the games though.

We can just hope Man Utd beat everyone so we can forget about them and 1st. We need to win our other 2 home games which hasn't happened in a while and hope for a point or 2 on our travels. Valencia at home is a tough game but not impossible. Don't know much about Bursaspor but they must be alright and away that'll be a tough game aswell. Realistically we're looking at 3rd place then fall into the Europa League which looks quite a difficult tournament aswell this year.

6 points of Buraspor and a home win against Valencia is IMO realistic and anything else is a plus.

But we really need 6 points of Buraspor and we should be taking 6 points of Buraspor.

Do you know anything about them..who plays for them and what they did last season.

There is optimism and then there is breathtaking arrogance that because they are "unknown" we should be taking 6 points off the Turkish Champions.

With this squad and the tactics we play we will be lucky to get 5 maybe 6 points in the entire campaign.

People don't seem to realise just how poor this squad is in Europe.

Apart from 1 or 2 changes this is essentially the same squad that was humped last year so apart from Weiss and No Jelavic why should it be any different this season?

We slag the tims about winning away from Home in Europe, soon they will be slagging us about winning at Home in Europe. Werder Bremen in the Uefa Cup I think was our last victory? Not good enough.

We are always ok on the road, the best performances of the 08 run were in Bremen/Lisbon and Lyon in the CL. We need to start picking up wins against sides like Valencia & Bursaspor at Ibrox, 6 points out of 9 this season at Home is a must if we even want to qualify for the Europa League.

Its not the hardest of groups we have ever had, but by no means is it the easiest either and it will be a fantastic result if we manage to get 3 points from anyone in this group... Home or away.

TBH I think we will prob end up bottom of the group.

I am just being realistic,

Getting the CL this year was not about progression, just about securing the funds that come with it to have a degree of financial stability.

The most important thing this season is to retain the league title, CL games are a luxury

And i think the reason we suffer at home is because of US....the crowd.Not all our fault though because if you only get 40,000 on average due to the ridiculously priced tickets then the stadium is flat to begin with.

If however you have 50,000 bears roaring the team on and supporting them instead of getting on their backs then you do become the 12th man.

And i also think Smith's over negative approach instils a fear and apprehension in to the players before they even kick a ball.

To do anything at home though first and foremost you need the quality and i'm afraid that we are sadly lacking in that department.

The 3 homes games are going to be very very tough and in all honesty i can see us getting a minimum of 2 and max 4 points.

Away from home i cannot see anything other than 2 defeats and 1 draw which will either be at Valencia or Bursaspor if we manage to keep the opposition out.