Was James Beattie a free transfer?

1st_Jan_1994

This guy will come good. He's a good classy footballer and you don't lose that

I don't think he will, later stages of his career, has suffered too many injuries and is struggling for fitness. He's hardly kicked a ball in 2010, and never had a proper pre-season. Bar one or two seasons earlier on in his career, I've never rated him - he'll be another Velicka IMO, although I hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think he will, later stages of his career, has suffered too many injuries and is struggling for fitness. He's hardly kicked a ball in 2010, and never had a proper pre-season. Bar one or two seasons earlier on in his career, I've never rated him - he'll be another Velicka IMO, although I hope he proves me wrong.

The fact is that he has never had any pace and even if he had a pre season under his belt he would still be a tad slower than snails pace.More worrying is his inability to strike tha ball cleanly or properly under no pressure in pre match shooting practice.

Stoke won't have let him go for free, even if he was a fringe player he still managed a decent number of games for them over a season and a half.

He's struggled to live up to his billing a lot of the time especially at Everton which was a big move for him. At 32 he isn't likely to improve and we have no sell on value so i think the money could have been better spent.