AJ wants Smith to stay on

bluenose4life

RANGERS chairman Alastair Johnston has sensationally revealed he's NOT ruled out a move to keep Walter Smith as Ibrox boss.

Smith, 63, intends to quit Gers and retire from football at the end of the season, with Ally McCoist pencilled in as his replacement.

But US-based Johnston revealed last night talks could take place to persuade Smith to stay on.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson insisted just last week his close pal should reconsider his plans.

And Johnston told SunSport: "Maybe Walter will talk to Alex and get some ideas from him.

"I don't think anything is off the table.

"Right now we have a one-year contract with Walter and, as he will say, it's way too early to speculate on anything.

"Walter will just get on with his job through to the end of the season."

Asked if keeping Smith is something he'd like to do, Johnston admitted: "We would be open to discuss it."

Johnston believes the job Smith has done is remarkable given the financial restraints he's been working under.

He said: "I talked to Walter very directly about things in the summer and told him 'We want you here'.

"I think his presence has meant we've been able to stabilise player negotiations. It would have been a lot tougher without Walter."

Johnston also revealed he hopes to secure Kenny Miller on a new deal.

Talks have taken place between the striker's agent and chief executive Martin Bain.

Johnston said: "He is one the manager would like to keep. The board listens to the manager."

Johnston spoke as Gers published their annual financial results.

It showed the debt is down to £27.1million after turnover increased by £16.6m to £56.3m after qualifying for the Champions League.

Johnston added: "We're getting to a level with the bank today where they are much less concerned about Rangers than they have been."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3149595/Gers-bid-to-keep-Smith.html#ixzz10JPMbJvd

Personally, i'd LOVE this to happen. Walter has already brought us 2 titles, 3rd this season is on route, could ally do as good a job? i worry because of his cups record....

That would be amazing. I can see Walter calling it a day, though.

He's not getting any younger and I think although his Ethel is supportive, it's right they get to spend their retirement together. Fuck me, I must be getting old saying something like that :lol:

well was he not persuaded to stay on this season or was it last season.??

anyway if he can be tempted to stay in the past,i think he can be again.

if he doesn't win the treble this year, I think he might stay on. because if he does win all 3 what else can he do.??

the only thing he could do, to better another treble, is by getting us to the last 16 or more.??

Part of me thinks that this SHOULD be Smith's last year.

I don't want to become dependent on the guy. I know he's a legend and I know he's won loads, but I don't want to see Rangers end up like Man United in terms of almost any manager who goes in after Fergie won't be good enough.

If Smith stayed here for another three or four years and continued to be successful, it'd be a poisoned chalice for whoever followed him up. We don't have the cash to employ an Advocaat and give him £50m to spend over three years any more.

I don't want to become dependent on the guy. I know he's a legend and I know he's won loads, but I don't want to see Rangers end up like Man United in terms of almost any manager who goes in after Fergie won't be good enough.

If Smith stayed here for another three or four years and continued to be successful, it'd be a poisoned chalice for whoever followed him up. We don't have the cash to employ an Advocaat and give him £50m to spend over three years any more.

That's valid, I keep tellin my friends of the prawn sandwich orientation theyr fucked if they don't get mourinho next. I'd still believe ally is the man if walter stays. There won't be anyone else that can carry on with amazing work walter has done. So if walter did stay for 3 more years (hypothetically) I think wed be find if its ally still taking over.

so we should let him go incase he is succesful :)

i would worry about 4 years time in around 3.9 years time.

so we should let him go incase he is succesful :)

i would worry about 4 years time in around 3.9 years time.

Most managers should be successful with Rangers in Scotland.

The possibility of him becoming an impossible act to follow remains nonetheless.

Most managers should be successful with Rangers in Scotland.

The possibility of him becoming an impossible act to follow remains nonetheless.

but is it something to be avoided given what it means in short term success.

4 more league titles would be very nice.

anyway managers are always replaced and replacable.

struth was replaced

stein

shankley

ferguson will be replaced

the world moves on always.

So if Ally wins 3 in a row do we sack him for being sucessful ? (I know people will call for his head the first year we lose the SPL - ditto Smith)

Who would be a manager? - calls for the sack for NOT being successful - calls for the sack if to successful!? 10310.gif