"Gers Will Pay The Penalty With Me" Says Bursaspor Keeper

andymc10

DIMITAR IVANKOV arrives at Ibrox on Wednesday as the goalie with the deadliest scoring record in Europe.

Bursaspor's Bulgarian No 1 hasn't missed in front of goal for an astonishing FIVE YEARS and has clocked up 43 goals in his career.

Now the master marksman, 34, has set his sights on a showdown with Allan McGregor in the Champions League.

Ivankov is the man the Turks turn to whenever they are awarded a penalty - but he hasn't scored in the Champions League and is desperate to put the record straight.

He warned: "I'm praying we win a penalty on Wednesday. If we do, I'll be stepping forward to take it as always. Scoring in the Champions League is the one big ambition I have left.

"It doesn't concern me at all that there will be 50,000 fanatical Rangers fans booing and urging me to miss. They can scream and shout all they like, I'm used to playing in Turkey where every stadium is a cauldron.

"I haven't missed a penalty for five years now and I don't intend to start on Wednesday. I've been the penalty- taker at all my clubs for the last 11 years. Why?

Because in 47 attempts for Levski Sofia, Kayserispor and Bursaspor I've only ever missed four.

"Don't ask me the last time I missed - it's so long ago I don't remember it!"

Ivankov can certainly talk the talk but worryingly for Rangers the 65-times-capped keeper can walk the walk too!

No European keeper has ever scored more goals than he has and, in the history of the game, only two goalies in the world have bettered his 43 goals.

Ivankov said: "The world record holder is the Brazilian Rogerio Ceni of Sao Paulo. He's way out in front with 90 goals - and only 36 were penalties. More than 50 were free-kicks!

"It's the same with Paraguay's Jose Luis Chilavert. His famous free- kicks have helped him score 62 goals - he's also the only goalkeeper ever to have scored a hat- trick in a game!

"I'm next best with 43 goals - all of them penalties - and that makes me the most prolific goalkeeper in European football history."

Ivankov does not just score penalties. He's a master at saving them too. He won the 2008 Turkish Cup practically single- handed in his first season at former club Kayserispor.

After shutting out Genclerbirligi to earn his side a 0-0 draw in the final, Ivankov then stole the show in the penalty shoot-out.

Kayserispor eventually won a dramatic spot-kick showdown 11-10 - after Ivankov scored twice and saved an incredible eight penalties!

The Bulgarian, whose goals are even more popular back home than his good pal Dimitar Berbatov's, says there is no secret to his success.

He said: "As a goalkeeper I know exactly what is going through the other goalie's mind when I step up to take a penalty, because I have been in his position so many times I can read his mind.

"I know all his tricks and I know what he will try to do to put me off and deny me. Allan McGregor is a great goalkeeper. I studied his performance against Manchester United at Old Trafford and you don't keep a clean sheet there unless you have talent.

"He's wasting his time if he believes he can outwit me on Wednesday. I know what's going through his mind, but he can't know what's going through mine!

"It's the same if Rangers get a penalty on Wednesday. I will know what their penalty taker is going to do because I've been in his position so many times myself.

"It's a useful advantage to have!"

There is no doubt Ivankov has plenty of bottle. In a crucial game against Fenerbahce last season he stepped up to the spot with his team trailing 3-1 on aggregate.

Despite Fenerbahce players trying to put him off with their delaying tactics, Ivankov waited patiently before coolly stroking his penalty low to the keeper's right and hurdling an advertising board to celebrate.

However, Fenerbahce successfully protested that he had stopped in his run up and the kick had to be retaken. With his opponents in his face, and doing everything they could to unsettle him, Ivankov stepped up again and calmly chipped the ball into the roof of the net in the same corner.

He hurdled two advertising boards and clambered up a security fence to celebrate with Bursaspor fans. He also put Fenerbahce to the sword with another crucial spot-kick strike in March, 2009.

With the score locked at 1-1 and the game deep into injury time, Bursa were awarded a 95th-minute penalty.

As usual Ivankov stepped forward and, also as usual, hhe kept his nerve to snatch a sensational late winner. His goals last season helped Bursaspor become the first Turkish club outside Istanbul to play in the Champions League as they won the title for the first time. On a dramatic last-day decider, Ivankov's team started the day one point behind hot favourites Fenerbahce.

However, they defied the odds to win their final game while Fenerbahce stumbled to a draw to hand their rivals a shock title win.

Incredibly, one club official got his wires crossed and announced to the Fenerbahce fans that Bursa had lost their game to spark wild celebrations at the Istanbul ground.

When someone finally confessed to the mistake, angry Fenerbahce fans torched their own Sukru Saracoglu Stadium!

Ivankov said: "Turkish fans can be very volatile because they live for football. It means everything to them and it turns them a little crazy.

"My 95th-minute penalty against Fenerbahce was a big pressure situation but it turned out to be crucial to our title success. No one could quite believe we had won our first title because we'd never even finished in the top three before.

"The following day we paraded the trophy at our stadium and 30,000 of our fans were inside - even though it only holds 20,000! There were 500,000 more locked outside!

"We are well used to big atmospheres back home and, having seen Ibrox on TV many times, I can't wait to play there and experience the passion of the Scottish fans."

What a cocky prick :wanker: I hope he takes a pen when we are 5-0 up and misses (tu)

Ive never failed to score with his mum dont see my telling the news of the world :hump::craphead:

:lol: i didn't have a clue what he was talking about,until it says he can score them and save them.

what a shite story that was. so there goalkeeper is there best chance of getting a goal.?????

plus i seen the prick v valencia,and he looks utter shite.

Seen the goals valencia scored again tonight and he should have easily saved 1 of them if not 2 ! He looks utterly pish, who cares if he can score a penalty, in reality the chances of him actually getting one are next to zilch !