Smith :: I Wont Play 5-4-1 in Old Firm.

Stu1993

WALTER SMITH has admitted that he will not use his 5-4-1 European formation in Sunday's massive Old Firm clash at Celtic Park.

On Wednesday night the manager's tactics again worked a treat against Valencia at Ibrox with his side defending admirably while also attacking with confidence.

The 1-1 draw against the Spanish giants, and Rangers' superb display, has led many fans to believe that Smith will stick with the same strategy against Celtic but he has ruled this out.

He said: "It's not a system we have used in the domestic sense before so I don't think we will set up in that fashion on Sunday.

"In our domestic games we don't play in the same manner as we do in our Champions League games.

"At times we have gone to Celtic Park and we have set up in a more defensive fashion but nothing like we do in the Champions League."

Both Rangers and Celtic go in to the first Old Firm game of the season with a 100 per cent record after eight SPL games and Smith has been impressed with the impact Neil Lennon has had across the city.

He said: "I think we at Rangers feel that we have started the season very well and it's only when you turn around and look at how well Celtic have started that you realise that this is going to be a very big game on Sunday.

"Since Neil has come in you have to give him credit as he made a very brave decision to turn around a whole bunch of players.

He's done that and normally, in the first part of the season, you expect there to be a bit of inconsistency.

"But they are currently on the same number of points as ourselves and, as I have said, we feel we have started the season very well.

"So it's great credit to him that he has managed to settle his squad down but we will looking to go there and win the match.

"Our boys are playing with a lot of confidence right now and we are looking forward to this weekend's game."

With European football not on the agenda for Celtic Lennon's men should be fresher going in to Sunday's fixture with Rangers having faced a tough 90 minutes against Valencia on Wednesday night.

Smith, however, does not feel that this will be an issue going in to the biggest game of the season so far.

He added: "I'd worry more about other matches than going to Celtic Park.

"I don't think we will have any problems in terms of motivation and I always say to people it's more mental than physical the tiredness aspect of it.

"So that will not be a factor on Sunday."

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

Mind games

Come Sunday, Lennon will have his team on instructions to charge

We'll come out 5-4-1, mop them up then fucking murder them on the counter

Wouldn't be surprised.

Good

We don't need an extra centre half to cover Samaras and Pooper

It's not really used because you are worried about the oppositions attack though.

We used it against Bursaspor and I doubt the management were concerend about their attack. It's used to so we can get as many players forward without being worried about getting caught on the break. Wing backs, midfielders and Bougherra all have license to get forward. It has worked a treat for us so far and I won't be disappointed if we line up like that on Sunday(even though Sir Walter has said we won't).

Aye Walter.... Master of mind games ahead of OF matches.

I'd have no issue with the same side, same formation. Totally unbeatable, explosive attacking. What's the problem.

Well in Walter!

WATP. Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!

Mind games

I thoroughly expect this as well to be honest. We'd destroy them on the counter time after time, after time, if we deployed the same tactics used on Wednesday.

Mind games

Yup Lennon will lap this up as gospel.

I think if we play our cards right another tanking is on the cards.The onus is on them at home to go for us and we can just pick them off on the break.

Yup Lennon will lap this up as gospel.

I think if we play our cards right another tanking is on the cards.The onus is on them at home to go for us and we can just pick them off on the break.

And most of their players are Old Firm virgins, and probably virgins in the holy sense of the word also

Their arse will collapse no matter how much Neil Lennon gets them riled up for this

I can't wait :lol:.Don't think I can remember being as confident going to the piggery.

I feel confident, but I've been confident before then left heartbroken :disappointment:

I'll be confident just now, really nervous on Sunday morning and then everything will be all good when we come away with 3 points

Too many ridiculous expectations here already.

I'd bite your hand off for a scrappy 1-0 right now.

There's no way it's going to be 3/4-0 as people are saying. I'd love, but it won't happen.

A score draw or a 1-0 might be about right.

Too many ridiculous expectations here already.

I'd bite your hand off for a scrappy 1-0 right now.

The voice of reason at last.

Whether we like it or not they are on form and at home.

They (just like Aberdeen) raise their game when the CHAMPIONS come to town.

It will be scrappy and it will not be pleasing on they eye plus you have the small matter of a 31 year old rookie RC ref to throw in to the mix.

I too would bite your hand off for a 1-0 win in the same way i predicted the best we would get on Wed was a 1-1.

The voice of reason at last.

Whether we like it or not they are on form and at home.

They (just like Aberdeen) raise their game when the CHAMPIONS come to town.

It will be scrappy and it will not be pleasing on they eye plus you have the small matter of a 31 year old rookie RC ref to throw in to the mix.

I too would bite your hand off for a 1-0 win in the same way i predicted the best we would get on Wed was a 1-1.

The best we could get mate was not 1-1 though...

However in regards to the old firm I would take 1-0 and if I'm being totally honest I would not be too disheartened with a draw.