The official "Takeover Completed" thread

Muff

Found this from last week but its a decent read

THE courtship seems to have rumbled on longer than both of Katie Price's marriages and last night Craig Whyte was still swithering about whether to lead Rangers up the aisle.But one of the top movers and shakers in football finance believes Rangers should pray the millionaire venture capitalist doesn't jilt them at the altar.

Neil Patey helped broker the deal that put Chelsea in the hands of Roman Abramovich in 2003 and more recently was involved in the negotiations that led to Liverpool and Manchester City selling out to American and Arab ownership respectively.

The Edinburgh-based Scot is global audit and accounting giant Ernst & Young's football financial expert and although he has not been involved with the Whyte takeover bid at Ibrox he has been keeping a professional eye on the situation.

Patey insists Rangers will NOT fold if Whyte walks away and the club is hit with a massive tax bill but he believes administration is a possibility and years of financial hardship a certainty.

He also reckons that if the Motherwell-born venture capitalist does take the plunge - and his gut feeling is that Whyte will - then Rangers can slowly move away from the abyss.

However, Patey insists the new man should do his best to hand Ally McCoist more than the s5million he has pledged as a transfer kitty in his first season.

Liabilities The finance expert acknowledged that the proposed deal has dragged on longer than expected but is convinced the major sticking point has been the tax issue - and the fact nobody knows how hard, if at all, it is going to hit Rangers.

He said: "I have been involved with the takeovers of Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea among others.

"Typically, they do become protracted affairs but this one is most definitely taking longer than you would expect and longer than a normal corporate transaction would happen.

"There could be a number of reasons for that. One is undoubtedly the whole negotiation of how you clear the Lloyds debt - is it immediately or do they wind it down over time? <br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">

"Also, there is the issue with the tax liabilities which could arise and those are not insignificant. <br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">

"They might crystalise not directly into Rangers Football Club but into one of the holding companies of the current owner - but it could be deemed that they were for the benefit of the club.

"I am sure those issues are part of the reason why it has taken so long.

"You also have to remember Whyte has made his money in venture capital and they are hard negotiators.

"That has almost certainly added to the due diligence, both from a financial and legal perspective.

"I am sure he will be a hard negotiator who is wringing every last pound of value out of the deal."

The Ernst & Young expert paints a bleak picture if Whyte fails to secure the deal he is looking for.

He said: "If Rangers aren't sold to Whyte they will have to continue in the same vein as they have done in the last couple of years.

"Lloyds will continue not to extend them any more money and will try to reduce the debt over a period of time.

"Ally McCoist will need to work with not much money for transfer fees and salaries so it will be a continuation of the situation as is and the squad will be under increasing pressure because of that.

"The big issue is the tax situation - it may come to nothing but if it does crystalise it could be settled or adjudicated at any sort of value.

"It might come in at a couple of million but if the full penalties and interest are awarded to HMRC there is talk of figures in excess of s40m. That is a big amount of money and it has to be paid.

"If the club doesn't have the money and the bank won't give them it - and if someone like Sir David Murray doesn't give them it, which is probably unlikely - then that is an issue.

"It is not inconceivable that they could do a Portsmouth. It was effectively the taxman who forced Portsmouth into administration."

While that would be a hammer blow Patey insisted Rangers would not go out of business.

Cease "That scenario doesn't mean the club wouldn't exist any more," he said.

"It means the administrator would do a deal with the bank and the taxman to pay them off and they would come back out of administration.

"The SPL would hit them with a points deduction for going into administration but for Rangers that would probably mean they would still finish second to Celtic that season.

"That scenario is not impossible. It is unlikely but there is that possibility.

"But I would see them coming back out of administration if it were to happen. Rangers Football Club would still be there - it would not cease to exist."

Patey believes, though, Whyte WILL strike an agreement to become the new owner. He said: "Is it going to happen? If you'd asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have been pretty dubious.

"But it does look now as if they are edging towards a deal. It could still fall apart but if I were a gambling man I'd say it will happen in the next few days.

"Whyte's involvement has to be a good thing for Rangers if he clears the bank debt, gets them moving forward and provides a transfer budget."

If that does happen he reckons Whyte has to find a way of juggling his finances to allow McCoist to make a bigger impact on the transfer market in his first year.

Patey said: "Whyte appears to be ready to allocate s5m a year over five years for a transfer budget.

"But it would be much better for McCoist if s15m was put in up front and the remaining 10 over the next four years.

"The current squad needs refreshing and s5m won't do much.

"However, while I don't think Whyte's projected transfer allocation is enough to make them a force in Europe it should sustain their fight with Celtic for the SPL year on year."

and this from yesterday but thats it.

Craig Whyte and his negotiators still hope to complete their proposed takeover of Rangers this week despite being disappointed by a lack of progress over the weekend.Lawyers for the businessman put in "a huge amount of work" on Saturday and Sunday, according to a source close to the Whyte camp, but no substantive progress was made on the points which need to be resolved before a final agreement is reached to buy Sir David Murray's controlling interest in the Ibrox club.

"We are seriously hoping that this is the week," the source said last night.

The middle of the week is the most likely time for a resolution to be reached, but the nature of the negotiations means that predicting the date of a conclusion is far from an exact science. A vast volume of paperwork is still outstanding, and only when that has been processed will both parties be in a position to proceed with the sale.

The Whyte camp, while stressing that they had never set or been a party to the various deadlines supposedly imposed on the takeover talks, have admitted that they had hoped last week would see a successful outcome to the talks.

They have accepted as "very sensible" the statement by the Rangers manager-in-waiting Ally McCoist that in planning for next season he has to work on the basis that there will be no new owner. That means that at present, when attempting to persuade a new player to join Ibrox or an existing member of staff to sign a new contract, McCoist is working within the very tight budget imposed on the club by their bankers, the Lloyds Group.

Whyte plans to provide the new manager with several million pounds' worth of funds to make new recruits. The precise amount will depend on the cost of the takeover.

^ sport.scotsman.

you've made 219 posts in this thread haha :h34rt: youuuu!

Hiy, its been an exciting time for all involved!

However, it is dragging on a bit now 00000041.gif

Our friend Gunslinger knows whats going on though, definitely Thursday according to the fella himself :wink:

you think this would make the papers? will all be talk of how mcbride is right, the sfa should be abolished and rangers should be fined 100 points a season for the next 20 years cause a man with a rangers top said the word fenian in the pub

You heard something mate?

Tbh mate i heard Jim isacunt say at the end of Clyde 1 that we were to watch this space so im just assuming or hoping that we are in the final hours of this shite. One way or another we need to know.

I can picture that prick Murray holding us to ransom.

It could be that Whyte is putting Murray to the sword and Murray is holding things up.Either way i have lost any respect for Murray, from a fans perspective he has left us high and dry.

There's obviously no rush as far as Whyte is concerned, it's a buyer's market.