Blackpool/Rangers

BEARGER

Two clubs with nae money. One plays attractive open attacking football the other the biggest club in their country does not. Why is this the case? Blackpool are the poorest(financially speaking) team in the EPL and everybody's favorite for relegation IN August. We may have a severe shortage of cash to splash but its still more than most other teams in SPL. Why is or football so poor? Is it our manager or are we not allowed to say that?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All down to the coaches and coaching. As much as it hurts me to say it, i prefer Holloways thinking on the game, watching Rangers under Walter is brutal and at times depressing, despite the success he has brung us, but lets be honest, how hard can it be for the biggest club in a country to win trophies when the gulf between them and every other club is as much as it is between Rangers and the provincial clubs? Walters real test with Scotlands greatest club is when we meet the boys in Europe and over all he has failed miserably, and consistantly too.

Will always be a club legend though due solely to his domestic trophy haul.

A forward thinking manager can take a guy like Adam and get a return.

I think I was the only person left that didn't want him to leave Ibrox. Too much under Walter he got the ball and turned backwards on himself.

There's a massive penny starting to drop in my head over Walter Smith after this weekend, and it's to do with showing Inverness too much respect and negative tactics.

That's it in a nutshell. Smith is just a defensive minded manager. Holloway wants to go out playing the 'right' football, see what happens, and he is getting results.

Blackpool also have no pressure on them whatsoever as they were expected to get pumped pretty much every week anyway, so they've been able to basically just throw caution to the wind and go for it regardless of who they play. This element of surprise gave a few good early results and subsequently their confidence has soared and you can see this throughout the team.

Smith never has done and never will approach any game in any other manner than safety first, its just his way.

Blackpool also have no pressure on them whatsoever as they were expected to get pumped pretty much every week anyway, so they've been able to basically just throw caution to the wind and go for it regardless of who they play. This element of surprise gave a few good early results and subsequently their confidence has soared and you can see this throughout the team.

Smith never has done and never will approach any game in any other manner than safety first, its just his way.

Yeah that's what I was meaning. No one expected them to do anything, so going out attacking, and losing, wouldn't be seen as a disappointment or a shock.

Suppose though, Rangers should be winning most games. Maybe there's a tendency to sit back and try and nick a goal, rather than going out all guns blazing. If you know what I mean, sounds a bit iffy.

Yeah that's what I was meaning. No one expected them to do anything, so going out attacking, and losing, wouldn't be seen as a disappointment or a shock.

Suppose though, Rangers should be winning most games. Maybe there's a tendency to sit back and try and nick a goal, rather than going out all guns blazing. If you know what I mean, sounds a bit iffy.

Yeah their big test will be next season once the expectations are raised and they're under pressure to repeat a successful debut season.

For the point in bold I guess the argument would be that we do win most games, but I know exactly what you mean, we shouldn't constantly have to make it so difficult for ourselves. When Smith complains about tiredness etc I cant help but think if we went out with a different approach and actually played the football we're capable of from the first whistle we'd have the majority of games sewn up by half time which would give us the opportunity to see out time in 2nd gear and substitute key players to give them a break. The way it is just now we end up having to play at 100mph towards the end because we've made it difficult for ourselves in the early part of games and I think that takes a lot out of players having to do that almost every week.

They might play good football but have have they won.?

:lol:

What a ridiculous question, they play in England against several of the world biggest clubs, were up against 1 rival and they are a shambles at the minute. They are the smallest club in their league, we are the biggest, they have no expectations, we have all the expectations.

(tu)

One word..........................................PRESSURE.

If Blackpool get relegated - no problem.

If they don't win the league - no problem.

If they don't win any of the cups - no problem.

Would any of the above be acceptable to the Rangers? No.

I don't agree with the lack of entertaining football on show, but thats the way it is with the Rangers at the moment.

CL football is quite simply a MUST for the club, so its imperative we achieve it.......................no matter how.

I don't agree with the lack of entertaining football on show, but thats the way it is with the Rangers at the moment.

CL football is quite simply a MUST for the club, so its imperative we achieve it.......................no matter how.

That is no way to run any football team. What a shambolic situation to be in. There should be no financial reliance on any competetions where our participation is not guaranteed, no matter how much the club deserve to be there or not. I agree with you, but that doesnt make me feel any better, it sickens me. Murray and Bain, 2 men still at the top at our club, 2 men who have for the last 8 years took us backwards, downwards and still managed to reach a level of debt which became critical, in fact Murrays done it twice in the last 10 years! :anguish:

We should be thankful the opposition in this country are so poor, because had we had a decent challenge for cups and titles in this last few years, God knows where we would be!

:(

and the way we are playing theres no chance of that, as i said the other night, we havent got a pool of players that are head and shoulders above everything else, so smith cannot set the team out saying "safety first" knowing full well we have enough players with a spark of genius that will eventually open up the opposition defence

davis flatters to deceive (to think people were arguing on here that he was just as good as james milner <cr> ) mcculloch, edu, etc dont have the flair required to do it, naismith, miller, jelavic need service

the squad right now is one of the least creative rangers squads that has been assembled

and that is soley down to smith

and the way we are playing theres no chance of that, as i said the other night, we havent got a pool of players that are head and shoulders above everything else, so smith cannot set the team out saying "safety first" knowing full well we have enough players with a spark of genius that will eventually open up the opposition defence

davis flatters to deceive (to think people were arguing on here that he was just as good as james milner <cr> ) mcculloch, edu, etc dont have the flair required to do it, naismith, miller, jelavic need service

the squad right now is one of the least creative rangers squads that has been assembled

:( I have to agree sadly. Ally will be no different, he knows only one way, Walters way.

With the money spent on players and the wages they are on compared to the rest of the league we should be head and shoulders above every team though bar the scum, and that goes with your last part as well, its down to Smith, he's the 1 who bought more of these players and they play the way he wants them to play

With the money spent on players and the wages they are on compared to the rest of the league we should be head and shoulders above every team though bar the scum, and that goes with your last part as well, its down to Smith, he's the 1 who bought more of these players and they play the way he wants them to play

yup, but god forbid you say anything negative about walter, i mean he did win all they domestic honours

(tu)

Domesticaly Smiths done it and been successful so why would he change it?

At The Rangers , if you are lucky enough to be the manager , you must win every single game , why would any man in charge want to be playing attractive football and be losing games which would leed to the sack , Holloway can do it because even if blackpool get relegated they would get the parachute payment from the epl , and they are not expected to stay up by most of the mhedia and pundits ( before the season started )

At The Rangers , if you are lucky enough to be the manager , you must win every single game , why would any man in charge want to be playing attractive football and be losing games which would leed to the sack , Holloway can do it because even if blackpool get relegated they would get the parachute payment from the epl , and they are not expected to stay up by most of the mhedia and pundits ( before the season started )

Holloway has always asked his teams to attack and play football, no matter what club hes been at. Different managers have different philosophies on how the game should be played. I prefer the attack minded coaches but could never take away from Walter all that he has done for us.

Paul Lambert

Billy Davies

Ian Holloway

Owen Coyle

Derek McInnes

Billy Reid

Jimmy Calderwood

All coaches who have had relative success at their respective clubs and all of whom prefer their teams to attack. All managers at smaller clubs than us and with smaller budgets than ours with maybe the exception of Bolton. I like all those managers named there and there will be more, thats just off the top of my head. Could McCoist have done what they managers have done? Would Walter have been able to do as well as them(in relation to relative success) with their respective budgets? I have my doubts. <cr>

Holloway has always asked his teams to attack and play football, no matter what club hes been at. Different managers have different philosophies on how the game should be played. I prefer the attack minded coaches but could never take away from Walter all that he has done for us.

Paul Lambert

Billy Davies

Ian Holloway

Owen Coyle

Derek McInnes

Billy Reid

Jimmy Calderwood

All coaches who have had relative success at their respective clubs and all of whom prefer their teams to attack. All managers at smaller clubs than us and with smaller budgets than ours with maybe the exception of Bolton. I like all those managers named there and there will be more, thats just off the top of my head. Could McCoist have done what they managers have done? Would Walter have been able to do as well as them(in relation to relative success) with their respective budgets? I have my doubts. <cr>

None of the names mentioned are Rangers material , who would have them as our manager ? not me mate