Will we ever see another testimonial game for a recent Ranger?

bruceybalboa

Was sat thinking about the recent news regarding Kenny Miller leaving, and got to thinking, will we ever see another testimonial game for someone who will still be playing for the club at the time? In years gone by we had Richard Gough's testimonial against Arsenal (hopefully I have got that one correct) when he was still playing for us. I am not even sure if the games for the likes of McCoist or McCall were played after they had left.

I'm not even sure who would be in contention for a testimonial recently, Novo maybe would be the only candidate, or possibly Klos? Obviously Barry Ferguson would have got one if he hadn't left for Blackburn.

Just a cheeky wee thought I had, and was interested to hear other thoughts on it........

Testimonials were always to give the player a golden handshake for 10 years service as the wages were the same as most working men..maybe slightly higher..Players don't need it now as they are very wealthy and are more inclined to swap teams on numerous occasions to earn even more money.

I would love to see McGregor stay and get one or naismith,Lafferty,Davis and the like...guys who are Bears at heart but money talks and even if we wanted to keep a hold of players we aren't in a position to do so.

I think it was Nial Quinn who got his at Sunderland and gave all the proceeds to charity...Alan Shearer did that too at Newcastle but most don't deserve one now.

Doubt it, as was said in the post above the players don't need them now with the wages they get, McGregor has been at the club over 10years but not sure how the 10 year thing works when the 1st few years are in the reserves and on loan, apart from him i can't think of anyone else that would be close to it

Ally's testimonial was against Newcastle was it not? In 93/94. He couldn't play in it as he was injured. We got beat 2-1 and Andy Cole scored.

I think Ian Ferguson was the last person to get one, 1999/2000 against Sunderland.

You're definitely right about McCoist's testimonial,Samuel. I was over on holiday at the time, so it was played on either the 2nd or 3rd of August 1993...and you are also correct that Andy Cole scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

Big Hateley scored our goal, but I'm sure Super Ally actually played in that game, although my memory tends to slip a wee bit these days, so you MAY be right :P

The testimonial for Fergie was on 21st July 1999 and it was against Sunderland which Rangers won 3-1.

Barry Ferguson and Gio scored for us and big Stevie Bould scored an own goal, and it's possible that Kevin Phillips scored for Sunderland.

There's not much chance of anybody at Ibrox getting a testimonial in the near future except McGregor and possibly Sir Davie of Weir when and IF he retires :lol:

You're definitely right about McCoist's testimonial,Samuel. I was over on holiday at the time, so it was played on either the 2nd or 3rd of August 1993...and you are also correct that Andy Cole scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

Big Hateley scored our goal, but I'm sure Super Ally actually played in that game, although my memory tends to slip a wee bit these days, so you MAY be right :P

The testimonial for Fergie was on 21st July 1999 and it was against Sunderland which Rangers won 3-1.

Barry Ferguson and Gio scored for us and big Stevie Bould scored an own goal, and it's possible that Kevin Phillips scored for Sunderland.

There's not much chance of anybody at Ibrox getting a testimonial in the near future except McGregor and possibly Sir Davie of Weir when and IF he retires :lol:

Ally didn't play in it OZ as i'm sure he still hadn't got over his broken leg...if memory serves.

I remember Mikhailitchenko scoring a chipped goal from outside the box in Nesbitt's testimonial, you know that way when a goal just sticks in your mind?

I think it might have even been The Goalie he chipped!

Ally didn't play in it OZ as i'm sure he still hadn't got over his broken leg...if memory serves.

I can picture him being applauded off on his crutches, waving to the fans, in his club suit.

doh Now I sit and think about it,Gaff...Aw fuck it! I'm away to have a triple Glenfiddich 18 year old and go to bed. :anguish:

I'll have to admit I've probably fucked up on that one...Jeez, I hate this getting old caper. :pipe:

doh Now I sit and think about it,Gaff...Aw fuck it! I'm away to have a triple Glenfiddich 18 year old and go to bed. :anguish:

I'll have to admit I've probably fucked up on that one...Jeez, I hate this getting old caper. :pipe:

At least you're still aware that you're getting old!

At least you're still aware that you're getting old!

Just casey...only just :lol: Just keep reminding me mate in case I do something real mental and say I'm going to make a comeback at the fitba...just what we need- a 63 year old midfielder doh

Well! at least it would make big Davie feel like part of our youth policy. :pipe:

Davie Meiklejohn recieved a benefit match, he was the first player to do so and quite amazingly the next one was John Greig, with Colin Jackson next.

That's interesting, thanks for that. I presume Meiklejohn's would have been in the 30s? So half a century or more with no testimonials for Rangers players.

Just think of the Rangers legends who played in that period....

Yeah the likes of Dougie Gray etc. Sandy Archibald, 1917-1934! I'll find the Meiklejohn benefit game for you in a sec.

The list is almost endless, arguably our greatest period.

Morton, Waddell, Young, Shaw, Shearer - I could go on all day.

The penalty in 1928 might well have been the deciding factor?

Ally came on at half time and kicked a ball around! He was recovering from the broken leg he had that season, just read it in my Alan McLaren Testimonial programme which I have dug out. Apparently Davie Meiklejohn recieved a benefit match, he was the first player to do so and quite amazingly the next one was John Greig, with Colin Jackson next.

That's correct Samuel :anguish: As soon as Gaffbear said Coisty didn't play, it came back to me and I remembered him on his crutches doh

You are also right about John Greig being next in line for a benefit game after Davie Meiklejohn...1925-1978 so that's a fair gap.

I wasn't aware that Colin Jackson had a benefit match at all, so that's interesting.