Swap Cristiano Ronaldo with Lionel Messi

AGM_72

I've always thought Ronaldo was overrated. He was the most exciting player on the planet in the 06/07 season (the year he scored 23 goals, not the year he scored 42) but something changed and although he's now a goal machine who scores in pretty much every game he plays, he's not particularly pretty to watch

(tu)

Not a fan of machine-like footballers. There's little to no beauty in his game at all. It's all grunting machismo and technique for the sake of technique.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronaldo does struggle in El Classico. I wonder if that's down to the fact that his own teams have struggled badly against Barca when they've played them. While his own team mates struggle to create chances for them, as soon as he gets on the ball he becomes greedy. Taking it upon himself to try and do it all instead of trying to help out his team.

I don't think Messi would struggle as much, though, if you placed him in the Real side instead of Ronaldo.

Ronaldo's problem is that he has this attitude, where whenever the things are not going well he just says fuck it and starts trying to do stuff by himself, shooting whenever he has a sight of goal. He scores a lot, but he also takes a lot of shots.

Would love to see a comparison in that regard with Messi, their shooting/goal numbers.

:wanker:

Ronaldo's problem is that he has this attitude, where whenever the things are not going well he just says fuck it and starts trying to do stuff by himself, shooting whenever he has a sight of goal. He scores a lot, but he also takes a lot of shots.

Would love to see a comparison in that regard with Messi, their shooting/goal numbers.

In la liga Ronaldo has taken 123 shots to Messi's 70 and scored 22 goals to Messi's 18. 53 more shots for 4 more goals. He has played 3 more games. He has 5 assists to Messi's 12.

In la liga Ronaldo has taken 123 shots to Messi's 70 and scored 22 goals to Messi's 18. 53 more shots for 4 more goals. He has played 3 more games. He has 5 assists to Messi's 12.

Thank you, see that proves my point to an extent. I remember especially in the early weeks, where Real were still finding their feet and Ronaldo would take tons of shoots. He's no doubt a fantastic player, but his attitude is often annoying.

Go back to the Clasico this season. Messi's assist for Villa's 2nd goal. Could anybody honestly see Ronaldo even seeing that pass never mind playing it?

Ronaldo's goals aside, he is nowhere near Lionel Messi as a footballer and even then, Messi is twice the finisher. Ronaldo's become the king at back post tap ins and set pieces. Messi has become the king of football.

I think this thread isn't necessarily about who is the best player but rather if they were swapped "would it make a difference...?"

And I think it would make a difference.... a big difference.

Messi gels with those around him in a way that Ronaldo just doesn't.

But then there is a brute power about Ronaldo that Messi just doesn't have.

Ronaldo is an incredible talent but so far has been much more of a solo type player than Messi - and the way Barca play where they all keep moving the ball so quickly without anyone taking too many touches etc suits Messi perfectly but would suit Ronaldo less so.... With Barca it is all about the team and Messi complements that perfectly.

Ronaldo however always wants to do a lot on the ball himself rather than move it on quick (though to be fair I think this season he is trying to be less selfish). He may well be just as talented a player as Messi and no doubt can bring things to a team that Messi cannot... but still he just doesn't gel with those around him like Messi does... he just doesn't play for the team like Messi does.

They are both so different it is hard to say which is best individually - despite that I believe that Messi complements Barca perfectly and that Ronaldo would complement them less so - due to the system and mentality etc.

So, both fabulously talented players - and I think they suit the clubs they are at and a swap would possibly weaken BOTH teams - therefore my answer to OP is that swapping them around WOULD make a difference, a big difference possibly...

Note: now that I've tried to be fair/considered can I just add that I LOVE Messi and Barca and LOATHE Roanldo/Madrid and 2 of my most enjoyable games were Barca destroying Man Unt/Ronaldo in Champs League final few years ago and this season when Barca destroyed Madrid/Ronaldo... A football lesson given out both times (team work vs individualism) and a moral lesson (yer a kunt Ronaldo and kunts always get what they deserve..!).

I've always thought Ronaldo was overrated. He was the most exciting player on the planet in the 06/07 season (the year he scored 23 goals, not the year he scored 42) but something changed and although he's now a goal machine who scores in pretty much every game he plays, he's not particularly pretty to watch

This (tu).

Terrible ? he's hardly terrible, he carries that team ffs. <cr>

I don't get this "hes terrible for Argentina" shite either, he was by far their best player at the world cup, if it wasn't for the woodwork and a few world class saves he'd have had 4 or 5 goals.

Neither of them would work. Messi struggles in a team where he is the main player. He's always been one of the top dogs at Barca, but they've never been dependant on him. Whether it was Ronaldinho and Deco, Xavi and Iniesta, he's always had world class players around him.

Whenever he plays for Argentina, he is expected to fill the number 10 role. And it never quite works out for him. He's not a player you pass to every time your going forward and let him do his own thing. He does get quickly alienated in a side that is too dependant on him. At Barca though, he's oustanding.

Ronaldo is the polar opposite of Messi. He has always been top gun. It helps his ego, and when he's confident he's unstoppable. It's no coincidence that Ronaldo's scored more than a goal a game this season, considering he is Madrid's attack force. He is backed up by the talent of Di Maria and Ozil, he's not dependant on it :sherlock:

Guest SandyWATP

Messi wouldnt know what to do without Xavi and iniesta behind him

Watch him when he plays for argentina he's terrible ;)

I could guarantee you haven't seen Messi play for Argentina before, bar the WC.

Guest SandyWATP

I could guarantee I have , quite a few times actually

cant remember them greatly because he was so poor

He hasn't been terrible :lol:

He has been their best player for years now.

Hardly :lol:

Ronaldo can carry a team on his own

What evidence even suggests that ? When has Ronaldo ever been in a team that's not been amazing ? Man Utd, they were amazing, Real madrid, their amazing, Portugal ? Oh no wait, their shite, and he doesn't seem to be doing much carrying there :rolleyes:.

What evidence even suggests that ? When has Ronaldo ever been in a team that's not been amazing ? Man Utd, they were amazing, Real madrid, their amazing, Portugal ? Oh no wait, their shite, and he doesn't seem to be doing much carrying there :rolleyes:.

Exactly my point

Why do you think they were amazing ? :lol:

Guest SandyWATP

Argentina are alot better than portugal though <cr>

You said Ronaldo can carry a team on his own, so why can't he do it for his country?

Exactly my point

Why do you think they were amazing ? :lol:

How is that exactly your point ? Are you seriously trying to say Man united were only amazing because of Ronaldo ? They'v been amazing in the past, amazing now and will be amazing for years to come and that's all down to one man, Alex Ferguson.

And if Ronaldo is so spectacular, like you say, and can turn teams "amazing", why are Portugal still shit even with him as captain ? You're contradicting yourself a bit here.