***Pregame Analysis*** Celtic versus Rangers

nvager

Celtic versus Rangers at Celtic Park in the 5th Round Replay of the Scottish Cup, on Wednesday, March 2, 2011. Kick-off 7:45 pm.

Another titanic struggle. We should have won this game when up by 1 goal versus a 10 man Celtic team for one half of a home tie at Ibrox. Instead we chose to sit back and defend the 1 goal lead. We gave away a goal and now have this replay at Celtic Park. If we are again defensive on Wednesday evening we can say bye bye to the Scottish Cup. We need to pressure the poor Celtic defense. Whether 1 striker or 2 the midfield must come up in support and pressure the defense. Motherwell showed how to beat Celtic. Pressure them all the time and dont back off.

D. Weir and EH Diouf were rested versus St. Johnstone. Weiss was injured in that game and probably wont play on Wednesday. Ness and Naismith are out injured.

Walter will almost certainly play both Weir and Diouf versus Celtic. He will have either a 5 man defense or midfield. I would like to see us play 2 strikers, but I cannot see Walter doing this. It is then essential that our midfielders give Jelavic good support. it most likely will be a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 formation. If it is a 4-5-1 formation then when we attack it should form into a 4-3-3 formation and revert to 4-5-1 when defending.

Walter has choices all the same. Should Whittaker or Foster start at RB? That leaves Whittaker free to play in midfield. Should Davis play in the centre or in right midfield? Who does play at the centre of midfield? Does Bartley play in defense, midfield or at all? If Weiss is unfit who plays out wide? Lafferty or Wylde?

Do we play with one or two strikers up front?

I think Whittaker will start at RB and Weir will be in the middle. I believe there will be 5 in midfield. Davis, Bartley, Edu, Diouf and Lafferty and Jelavic up front.

The team will then be McGregor, Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Davis, Bartley, Edu, Diouf, Lafferty, Jelavic.

That leaves Alexander, Hutton, Fleck, Foster, Wylde, Healy and Weiss to come off the bench if required.

When attacking Diouf and Lafferty especially must give Jelavic good support; also Davis and Edu.

Does this team have enough spark and determination and goal scoring ability? Is it better to drop 1 in midfield and play 2 strikers up front? I think it may be wise to do that, and Lafferty or Diouf could switch to striker at any time or form a 4-3-3 when attacking or Healy could start up front with Jelavic and one midfielder would be on the bench.

Tactics apart, it will be attitude and strength of character that will be the winning factor. Sheer determination and the will to win. Whatever team has the most of that will progress. The other will go home.

Can we win and pull of a surprise victory? Sure we can, but it depends on how many of the players turn up to play. Too few did recently at Ibrox and Celtic Park. It is their chance for redemption. Make no mistake the winner will gain a great surge of confidence and the loser will realise that the treble/quadruple is no longer on. Who will win? I have no clue. This game is totally unpredictable. I really hope Rangers win as it would jump-start another winning run. The players are much more confident too after Lisbon and a 4-0 win at Ibrox. Let's go for it. 2-1 Rangers!

Can't be any worse than last time. Hopefully weir doesn't play, fair enough against the lower league teams, but as much as it pains me to say this, that mob have players that will run around him all day.

I think it's a certainty for a 5 man midfield, which I'm okay with as long as our passing is on target, but how many times is that the case? We also can't leave Jelavic so isolated like he was in the last OF

I see no changes in personnel or line up to the game where we were beaten 3-0 so therefore i cannot see anything other than a similar scoreline i'm afraid.

3 games..similar tactics and personnel in all 3 games and no wins.

7 goals conceded and only 2 scored which makes a mockery of our fabled 4-5-1 defensive but attacking line up.

Play Weir at centre half and that ginger prick will be rubbing his hands in delight.

Expect to see Smarmyarse and Hooper start up front if Weir plays.

cant see us coming out on top if both weir and lafferty plays. i would rather see bartley in the back 4 and wylde given his chance wide left. as lafferty hasnt shown me anything in any old firm game i have seen him play in that fills me full of confidence, i hope im wrong but i just think that wylde has more attacking ability.

and we will sit far too deep if davie weir comes back in and invite those scummy bastards to play us higher up the park resulting in a similar outcome im affraid i think our best chance will come from set plays or maybe even if they concede a penalty.i hope to god i am wrong in my assuption and we attack and defend the way we know we can. as i dont buy all the hype about the t*rriers being an invincible force. we all seen how much respect that stuart mccall afforded them and the end result.so heres hoping our present management team can show the same bottle and go for the scummy bastards from the off.no surrender rangers for w.a.t.p :uk:

The cautious, negative line-up hasn't worked in the last three games, but I still expect to see it.

Don't call games against the bheggars, and I'm not going to call this one.

A loss is unthinkable, we must win this tie!

Has to be 4-4-2, the last game showed that Jelavic is inaffective without support.

Has to be but won't be.

Weir starting will ensure Smith goes 4-5-1 and tries to pack the midfield to counter Brown,Ki and Kayal.

And after seeing Sunday's game i am beginning to wonder about starting Diouf and the edge it gives them when they see him on the park.

Thing is, if we don't start 4-4-2, we will change to this formation if things aren't going our way, so why not just start with the formation we all know will win, or be more influential in the game?

You are stating the obvious but Smith is the manager and he knows best.

Some newspapers are expecting 5-4-1 formation. I sincerely hope not.

I sometimes think that when you send your team out like that you are bascially saying "look your not as good as this mob"

A formation like that may dent the confidence of the players.

We need to play 4-4-2

McGregor

Foster Bougherra Bartley Papac

Whittaker Davis Edu Diouf

Healy Jelavic

Hooper has already come out and mocked Smith by stating if he does go 4-5-1 it means he isn't confident and is running scared.

On the evidence of the last 3 games can Walter honestly say hand on heart that this time will be any different.

Faults are faults and they simply don't disappear because you persevere or shout at the players in a clear the air meeting.

Davis made a very telling quote recently along the lines of wanting to enjoy his football again.

I think that says a lot about his and the players mindset when it comes to this system.

It's 4-4-2 for me and we stand a chance of winning.

If it's 4-5-1 with Weir in the middle it will be a repeat of previous games.

I sometimes think that when you send your team out like that you are bascially saying "look your not as good as this mob"

A formation like that may dent the confidence of the players.

We need to play 4-4-2

McGregor

Foster Bougherra Bartley Papac

Whittaker Davis Edu Diouf

Healy Jelavic

That is what i would have played, but for the fact Weir will start and I don't think he will manage in a 4 at the back I would play 5-4-1.

dont care what formation is played as long as they fail to stop us getting a result, even a draw would do me. not sounding good with no naisy or weiss but its a game where anything can happen and ill bide with derek johnston on this one and say its gonna be a close 2 - 1 rangers