Walter Smith lays down law to players to turn season around

Stu1993

Mar 1 2011 Exclusive by Keith Jackson

WALTER SMITH has banned his players from boozy nights out and trash talking on social networking sites as part of his bid to turn their season around.

Record Sport told yesterday how the Rangers boss ordered his players into Murray Park last Monday on their day off for a crisis summit less than 24 hours after watching them slump to a humiliating 3-0 thrashing against Celtic.

Now we can reveal explosive details of Smith's dressing-room address which has stirred his team back to life ahead of tomorrow night's return to Parkhead for a winor-bust Scottish Cup replay. Smith demanded that his troops rediscover their focus in time for the end of season run in by:

Warning that any player caught nightclubbing will face disciplinary action.

Blasting the use of Twitter accounts.

Barring his players from posting any inflammatory remarks.

Ordering them to keep their private lives off the front pages.

Smith's training ground showdown has triggered an instant reaction from his players who have bounced back with a European glory night in Lisbon and a 4-0 SPL thumping of St Johnstone.

Smith even went as far as to say his players were disgusted with themselves after their capitulation on derby day.

But rather than go easy on them the veteran manager made it clear what he demands of them in his final three months at the helm.

Record Sport can reveal that he was angered even before kick-off at Celtic Park when a Sunday tabloid splashed graphic details of a fight between the wags of keeper Allan McGregor and midfielder Maurice Edu.

He has demanded that his players and their partners keep a lower public profile from here on in. And that includes using the internet to take cheap shots at Celtic.

Smith has clearly reached the end of his tether and his players were left in no doubt that they will be in hot water if they are caught stoking things up again.

Edu - who bagged the goal in Portugal which saw Smith's men into the last 16 of the Europa League - is a prolific tweeter with almost half a million followers.

But his last comment came one hour before the derby on February 20. It read: Game time Old Firm derby let's go.

A Rangers source said: "It is fair to say Walter went off on one during his meeting with the players. They have been left in no doubt over what is required from them from now until the end of the season.

"He felt they needed reminding of exactly what is expected of them as Rangers players and his message seems to have hit the mark."

i was thinking why the first team players havent been posting stuff.

Good. We have too many players acting like fans and not professionals.

Let them party when we win the league. 100% focused on football right now, we have too small a squad to do anything else.

Was saying the other week how I was fed up with the players pissing around online and going out partying when they should be focussed on us winning the league. It will take more than a meeting to turn around form but its a good start.

Was saying the other week how I was fed up with the players pissing around online and going out partying when they should be focussed on us winning the league. It will take more than a meeting to turn around form but its a good start.

Its like people who post song names on Facebook, shouldnt be allowed untill the season is finished :crabflute:

I agree that smith has done the right thing in this instance! He's told them to wise up and be more focused on the task at hand, that can only be a good thing!

Tbh I don't mind players posting on Twitter so long as they're producing on the park, but when mo edu is using it all the time it pisses me off! He should be doing extra sessions to work on his game, he's absolutely shite.

Changed day's... I remember getting slated for saying that Walter Smith should ban Twitter, nightclubs a few months ago.

About time, and well done Walter Smith.

Two months????

Fuxsake - three years too late with McGregor and his shenanigans. :angry:

I haven't heard a peep about mcgregor either on or off the pitch since he got punished for his ninja assault on fresh air, his missus on the other hand........