Article about our songs in Lisbon

A very unusual article appeared in The Times yesterday, Why do Rangers fans besmirch club's name with ugly chants?

Unusual because, as the writer, Graham Spiers, candidly pointed out, there is a press aversion to covering the subject, especially in Scotland.

Spiers reports that Rangers fans were guilty of bigoted, offensive chanting when their club played a recent match in Lisbon. There were shouts of "F*** the Pope" along with the singing of The Billy Boys (for the uninitiated, a sectarian song that includes the line, "We're up to our knees in Fenian blood").

Despite official disapproval from club officials and warnings from European football authorities, the anti-Catholic chanting shows no signs of abating.

"So," writes Spiers, "you would think it might be deemed quite a news story that such songs have come back into fashion at Rangers... though the press in the main isn't touching it."

Why is that? Spiers offers three possible reasons:

First, it "is a wearying topic, not so say embarrassing for modern Scotland.

"Two, there are some, no doubt, who will not want to embarrass Rangers or cause the club any trouble, especially as they might go far in this season's Europa League.

"Three, a commercial media needs to keep it customers onside, whether they are bigots or not.

"So the refrain, 'don't touch that subject', is sometimes interpreted as self-protection."

In other words, the newspapers in Scotland are prepared to remain mute, overlooking the bigotry, because they fear a loss of sales.

Isn't the free press a wonderful thing? It is certainly to the credit of Spiers and The Times (which sells about 24,000 copies a day in Scotland) that they broke the wall of silence.

News broadcasters have also failed to cover the misbehaviour by Rangers fans. Spiers writes: "There has been little media pressure brought to bear on the problem", and adds:

"It is far better for Rangers, frankly, if the media remains quiet on the subject. What really makes Rangers worry is when comment is passed on their supporters' behaviour, because that only adds to the inherent danger of Uefa punishing the club again."

He concedes that Rangers executives "have tried to lance the boil among their fans" but without notable success.

As for Celtic, Spiers laments that "pro-IRA chants" are heard. Though "less virulent than Rangers' problem... it embarrasses Celtic and needs to be tackled."

And how did commenters react to Spiers's piece? In predictable sectarian fashion, of course.

Source: The Times (behind paywall)

Professor Roy Greenslade's media column on the Guardian website. Obviously we treat Spiers like the imbecile he is, but this will be seen and read across the UK. Disappointing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The odious creep is supposed to be an educated man, but yet he still maintains Fenian is a bigoted word.

Surely it's his job to report the truth and educate the people who think Fenian means catholic.

Fuck britney.

The tims get one line about IRA chants which can clearly be heard at every single televised game they are playing in. 'join the IRA' is all you can fucking hear. Join a banned terrorist organisation who have murdered hundreds of innocent people.... How the fuck can that be overlooked like that both in that article and generally every other day in the papers.

The odious creep is supposed to be an educated man, but yet he still maintains Fenian is a bigoted word.

Surely it's his job to report the truth and educate the people who think Fenian means catholic.

Fuck britney.

Fenian means different things to different people and, as usual, it's all about the context in which it is used.

Speirs has a point as to why the press aren't commenting on it. It's not an agenda just market forces.

I disagree with what he says about Celtic fans being less virulent - we're both as bad as each other - particularly the away fans.

Bill Leckie never fails to mention it, as do writers in the record so I would hardly say people are not talking about it or it isn't getting coverage.

Like you say both sides are as bad as each other but I honestly don't see the problem. At the end of the day they are just songs and the only people getting offended are knob ends like Graham Spiers who have a hard on for telling us how to support our club.

He, and the rest of them, can go and take a fuck to themselves. Let Celtic sing what they want, let us sing what we want. Let us enjoy our football the way we want to.

And on the whole "Fuck the Pope" thing, fuck him. He is the head of a horrible Church that has ruined so many lives and continues to do so. Fuck him, fuck their Church. I have no problem with Catholics, just their Church.

Professor Roy Greenslade's media column on the Guardian website. Obviously we treat Spiers like the imbecile he is, but this will be seen and read across the UK. Disappointing.

You needn't be too worried about the guardian Media section, it's hardly mass circulation. And Roy Greenslade's an arse.

On topic, re the comment about ra shellick, why does he just mention pro IRA chants?

Why not the sectarian chants directed at Walter by 10s of thousands of them at the piggery?

As I say, the man's an arse.

Why has this cretin not been banned at Ibrox, but right enough what would some of our fans do that crawl up his arse and ask him for his autograph, or want their picture taken with him.

That arsehole should have been chased from our door a long, long time ago. Surely someone from the club reads what he says, or has seen what he has written and has the balls to kick him out.

You needn't be too worried about the guardian Media section, it's hardly mass circulation.

I wasn't sure whether it was in the actual paper itself, I only get the Guardian on Saturday.

And Roy Greenslade's an arse.

He's a university professor. He's not just some demented blogger. I agree that he comes out with some shite though, and obviously believes what he's told regarding Scottish matters.

Fenian means different things to different people and, as usual, it's all about the context in which it is used.

Fenian has one meaning and one meaning alone, people who choose to think it means something else should be educated rather than allowed to bastardise our language.

Indeed they proudly display a banner proclaiming themselves as Fenians but we can't call them it? Nonsense.

Ah yes, violent context argument, but countless other clubs sing songs with violent imagery about their opponents and nobody complains or cares

Cheer up Walter Smith..orange bastard

Go home ya h***

Sean South

Shooting Nacho Novo in his sleep

Aye all harmless and less virulent ditties eh Odious Creep.

Not to forget the old brigade and all the I Ran Away shit. :rolleyes:

All harmless i :rolleyes:

The OC will have to be done away with as soon as possible smart man and Rangers fan my arse. :angry:

I have to say though that hearing the songs in Lisbon did have me concerned that UEFA would be contacted by the usual suspects to have something done about us.

For me the songs are fine but as we all know UEFA do not care one iota what the meanings are real or otherwise.

We have previous and it is a concern to me anyway that if we sing the Billy Boys or Super Rangers that we are simply giving this prick (and others) an easy excuse to get us done.

As for the SPL i would be singing them home and away but Europe is a different political animal entirely.

I wasn't sure whether it was in the actual paper itself, I only get the Guardian on Saturday.

He's a university professor. He's not just some demented blogger. I agree that he comes out with some shite though, and obviously believes what he's told regarding Scottish matters.

I presume it was in the media supplement that they have one day a week.

And yes, greenslade is a Professor.. of 'Journalism' :rolleyes:

Fenian has one meaning and one meaning alone, people who choose to think it means something else should be educated rather than allowed to bastardise our language.

Indeed they proudly display a banner proclaiming themselves as Fenians but we can't call them it? Nonsense.

Ah yes, violent context argument, but countless other clubs sing songs with violent imagery about their opponents and nobody complains or cares

You say the language has been bastardised, others say it has evolved. Many thousands of words have done the same throughout the centuries.

I have to say though that hearing the songs in Lisbon did have me concerned that UEFA would be contacted by the usual suspects to have something done about us.

For me the songs are fine but as we all know UEFA do not care one iota what the meanings are real or otherwise.

We have previous and it is a concern to me anyway that if we sing the Billy Boys or Super Rangers that we are simply giving this prick (and others) an easy excuse to get us done.

As for the SPL i would be singing them home and away but Europe is a different political animal entirely.

They have both been heard at every away game in Europe this season, mate. UEFA obviously ain't interested in the one man crusade Spiers is carrying out.

You say the language has been bastardised, others say it has evolved. Many thousands of words have done the same throughout the centuries.

But never by one group of people for the express purpose of then being offended by it.

I thought we threatened to take away Speirs' Ibrox press pass.

Obviously can't stop him from going to Lisbon on his free will, but it would limit him no end.

All this shit is tiresome.

I go away to get pished and have a good sing song and if anyone is offended then tough shit because we could sit and sing Hall & Oat's 'Man Eater' and guys like Spiers will just accuse us of being sexist or something ala Penny Arcade, Hokey Cokey, The Bouncy etc.