Gary Hooper get's England call-up

Muff

Celtic striker Gary Hooper has been called up to the England Under-21 squad for the matches against Denmark on 24 March and Iceland four days later.

Despite being 23, Hooper qualifies for the squad as he was under 21 at the start of England's qualifying campaign.

The former Scunthorpe forward moved north of the border in July 2010 and there were reports in February that he was seeking a Scottish bloodline.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9424880.stm

Ridiculous ruling - hopefully he plays and picks up an injury (tu)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he had his heart set on playing for Scotland...

Cock Levein was interested according to the papers but Cock comes across as desperate and who knows what GH wanted...

Boab

Why do you hate Craig Levein so much?

Bring in Alex Miller.

I have no faith - and I doubt some of the players don't either - after 'Flair is a gamble' before Liechtenstein and post match on Friday after the Czechs 'At 0-0, I was never going to take a chance'.

A small club mentality Manager who is too scared to find a balance between defence and attack.

He won't be gone by next weekend, but I wish he would be.

And the crass and desperate search for folk with Scottish Grans, Bardsley is now prominent where he once said 'I'm english...'

And the crass and desperate search for folk with Scottish Grans, Bardsley is now prominent where he once said 'I'm english...'

I would have agreed before George Burley came in.

But now I couldn't give a shit what nationality they are, if they have some Scottish in them, then good it hasn't hurt Germany.

Saying that I'm losing interest in the national team

Depends if he had an affection for Scotland.

How do you know Hooper doesn't?

I personally don't care if they do or don't. We aren't in a position where we can afford to be that fussy over players. If they're good enough then get them capped in pointless friendlies.

He is English..Just because he's allowed to play for us due to certain rules, doesn't mean he can't say he's English.

How do you know Hooper doesn't?

I personally don't care if they do or don't. We aren't in a position where we can afford to be that fussy over players. If they're good enough then get them capped in pointless friendlies.

The 22-year-old Essex-born striker's career went off course after he was cast aside by Spurs at the age of 14.

But after starting again in non-League football he worked his way up to a £2million move from Championship side Scunthorpe to Celtic in the summer and that has fired his cap aspirations.

And after bagging 11 goals in 12 games in Scotland it would be a fairytale ending if his impressive scoring record catches the eye of England boss Fabio Capello.

Hooper said: "My ambition was always to play as high up in the Premier League as I could - and play for my country.

"If I'd stayed at Spurs I might have still been in the reserves so I'm glad my career has taken the path it has."

He is English..Just because he's allowed to play for us due to certain rules, doesn't mean he can't say he's English.

If he thought that a while back, then he shouldn't play for us IMO>