Smith looking to attack

King_gazza

Smith: Gunning for PSV

Walter Smith believes Rangers will need to adapt if they are to defeat PSV Eindhoven in the Europa League .

Following a 0-0 draw in the first leg in Holland, the SPL side now face a tough test on Thursday night, knowing they must win to progress.

With the threat of an away goal looming, Rangersface the task of setting up for their first home second leg in Europe in four years.

Smith admits he will need to set out his side to get a win, yet remains committed to the 5-4-1 formation he Scot has preferred in Europe this term.

"We'll have to change a little bit from the way we have played, especially in the away games," he said.

"Although we have kept a very similar formation, we have approached the home games in a slightly different fashion, both in the Champions Leagueand against Sporting Lisbon.

"We had more attacking personnel within the same set-up so we just have to find the right balance, that's the important part for us.

"It's that switch that's the main thing. The last game we had there we had Steven Naismith, Kyle Lafferty and Nikola Jelavic, nearly all the forward-type players, unavailable.

"We have got one or two of them back available so we are able to field more attacking players even though the formation might be the same."

Pitfalls

With Rangers facing a potentially tense night at Ibrox, Smith is aware the shoe is now on the other foot after benefitting from away goals rule in recent years.

"We have taken advantage of it in European games ourselves," he added.

"It's something you have to handle. We have used it to our advantage, the experience we have of that can be gained the other way.

"But we know at some stage in the game we have to attack and try to win the game."

Tough test

Despite PSV finding it difficult to break down Rangers at the Philips Stadion, Smith knows the threat the Eredivisie side pose.

He said: "You always have to take the opposition into account, the opposition being ourselves in that case. We have been very difficult to break down away from home.

"Quite a number of teams have found it difficult to get goals against us when we use that formation.

"It has been an awkward one to overcome and they found it awkward.

"It doesn't always give them an opportunity to show just how good they are un terms of attacking.

"Tomorrow night we'll give them an opportunity, we will have to open up and we'll see how they are.

"But I think they have very good players and we have to be careful how we set out."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said a couple of days after the game he will change personnel but not formation.

Not sure what that means exactly in terms of team selection - but we'll see.

He said something similar to that for Sporting Lisbon at Ibrox (in regards to attacking more) and it was the same drab, borefest.

he said same formation but more attacking players, to me a changing 3-5-2 to a 5-3-2 throughout the game could be benefit if they push up whilst in possession

all depends on how psv set out first half. if they play their football and attack like they want to, we have a good chance.

if i was their coach, id be setting out 5-4-1 myself and dont attack.

but we'll see, we'll have to invite them on a little bit in order to break as usual. naisy for the winner!

"We'll have to change a little bit from the way we have played, especially in the away games," he said.

"Although we have kept a very similar formation, we have approached the home games in a slightly different fashion, both in the Champions Leagueand against Sporting Lisbon.

it will be the same 5-4-1 , with Lafferty starting.

Mcgregor

Foster Bougherra Weir Bartley Papac

Whittaker Edu Davis Lafferty

Diouf

Id be suprised to see differently.

Drpp edu and play hutton walter!

My team (wishful)

Alexander

Whitaker bougie. Bartley. Papac

Weiss. Davis. hutton. Wiess

Diouf

Healy

Probable:

Alexander

Foster. Bougie. Weir. Bartley. Papac

Whittaker. Davis. Edu. Hutton. Lafferty

Diouf

Im sorry but i just dont see what edu offers that hutton doesnt. But he'll probably score again and prove me wrong!

He said a couple of days after the game he will change personnel but not formation.

Not sure what that means exactly in terms of team selection - but we'll see.

He said something similar to that for Sporting Lisbon at Ibrox (in regards to attacking more) and it was the same drab, borefest.

As long as we get a result I don't care