Counting down the days until Walter Smith leaves.

1st_Jan_1994

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait until Smith leaves.

But the rest of the management team will still be there.

Big concern for me, but I will give McCoist the chance.

I'd rather a clear-out, from top to bottom.

I can't wait until Smith leaves.

But the rest of the management team will still be there.

It doesn't fill me with joy either, but it's happening, and we just need to hope that things work out ok, and that if they don't, swift, decisions are made.

I know this isn't a thread about McCoist, but this has to be said - I watched the game on SKY+ when I got home and the camera continually panned in on him and McDowell sat there, looking clueless, unable to even motivate the players or instruct them as coaches should.

Is this a taste of things for next season? do you think it will be much of the same? I actually think it will be, going on nothing more than a gut feeling, I must stress.

yup clueless eh

at least they were down at the dugout rather than fucking walter smith sitting in the stand :rolleyes:

I wanted us to win clearly but i'm fairly relieved that'll be the last time we see Walter Smith manage Rangers in Europe.

One great season in Europe in seven years during the first spell, the rest were a disaster.

Second spell it's been one great season in four years, two others a disaster and this season has been OK I suppose but the stats of one win out of ten and only six goals scored make it look pretty pish.

I'd love to see McCoist go for it a bit more next season, whether it's the CL or the EL we're in, and if we do win the league we're facing three qualifiers to get to the CL group stages, I think i'd die if we see more negative pish.

Sadly we still have the negative pish to deal with on Sunday and for the rest of our league campaign.

Can't argue with is success, but nights like last night is what is driving punters away from the matches.

People don't pay money to watch other teams pass their way round us, we pay to watch our team have a go and be entertaining.

When was the last time any of us were entertained?

Thanks for everything Walter but I can't wait for a fresh(ish) start.

Walter Smith has given me some of my best moments as a Rangers supporter, but he's also given me many of my worst.

People say the highs well outweight the lows. At this rate it will flip. ???????

Not been a fan for very long then have you, or is this a piss take?

I seem to recall the same attitude when smith was leaving first time round, and by fuck did that change when he came back. He makes mistakes, the best in the world do, but the attitude of some fans amazes me. Get the trophies counted. Smith will, rightly imo, be remebered as one of the most succesful managers in our history, anything other than a full house when the final whistle sounds on his last game will be a disgrace to our club. People have short memories, and they'll realise what we've got when he's finally gone.

Some of your worst memories. Thats a fuckin belter.

Good post weeman :clap:

I think a "problem" we have at Rangers as a unit, and i mean from the boardroom to the dressing room to us as Rangers fans is we are too nostalgic. We need to drop this and i hope and pray that Whyte, if he does take over, gets rid of a lot of that attitude.

I don't want Gatusso, Brown, Neil Murray at Rangers, I want a whole new fresh approach of actually going for the best we can for those jobs, not because they are Rangers men.

I am shitting it about McCoist taking over now, like seriously because his first actions as the gaffer was to bring in Murray and Brown :/

it doesn't send out the right signals to me in the slightest.

I know right now we are all about getting the points/win no matter what, but we've been like that for 4-5 years now, maybe longer, I wanna sit at Ibrox or in front of the box and watch god football like we saw in the second half.

Can McCoist do that?

Walter Smith has given me some of my best moments as a Rangers supporter, but he's also given me many of my worst.

People say the highs well outweight the lows. At this rate it will flip. ???????

Not been a fan for very long then have you, or is this a piss take?

I seem to recall the same attitude when smith was leaving first time round, and by fuck did that change when he came back. He makes mistakes, the best in the world do, but the attitude of some fans amazes me. Get the trophies counted. Smith will, rightly imo, be remebered as one of the most succesful managers in our history, anything other than a full house when the final whistle sounds on his last game will be a disgrace to our club. People have short memories, and they'll realise what we've got when he's finally gone.

Some of your worst memories. Thats a fuckin belter.

I think your a fucking belter.

Kaunus?

Unieria, Seville, Stuttgart same season.

Grasshoppers, Steaua Bucharest, Auxerre, Strasbourg, AEK Athens, Gothenberg, Levski Sofia all in previous season.

Dundee United in Scottish Cup Final 1994

Hearts Scottish Cup Final 1998

Losing 10 in a row

Losing the UEFA Cup Final playing for penalties

Celtic CIS Cup Final 2008

Various Celtic defeats at Ibrox through the years

Losing the league in 2008/2009

I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, every manager has bad times but for you to imply there's been little bad times? I'll crack the jokes.

I decided to hold off making this thread last night because I was in a bad mood and had a drink in me & didn't want to regret anything or get into a slagging match with any other members.

I still feel the exact same as I did last night.

I was disgusted last night when I got the text in the pub with the starting XI. Lafferty up front on his own? says it all.

I knew there and then it was going to be a long night.

I know it's not all down to Smith. Maybe 70% him and 30% the players as how Foster can be caught out like that and then a ball across the box and our 3 center halfs playing all miss it all.

3 center halfs. That's right.

I know we don't have millions to improve the team, but look at some of the sub standard players we had starting like night - Foster, Weir, Papac, Edu, Lafferty.

Coupled with the fact Bougherra and Davis hasn't kicked a ball all season.

I know this isn't a thread about McCoist, but this has to be said - I watched the game on SKY+ when I got home and the camera continually panned in on him and McDowell sat there, looking clueless, unable to even motivate the players or instruct them as coaches should.

Is this a taste of things for next season? do you think it will be much of the same? I actually think it will be, going on nothing more than a gut feeling, I must stress.

I know Jelavic wasn't playing last night either, but this is relative. We will waste the talent of an outstanding striker if we continue to play him upfront on his own with little or no service. You can see him starting to get pissed off and it won't be long before we ruin another top class player.

It never fails to amaze me how stubborn Walter Smith can be. We all know what the faults will be before the game starts when we see the team selection and formation, yet he continues to make us endure the same shite over and over. Prevention is better than cure.

The fact we came out the second half last night and ran amok the minute we took off Weir didn't surprise me, either.

It gave others in the team a chance to play their game without worrying about sitting deep and trying to over-compensate for Weir.

I don't really blame Weir. He keeps getting picked to play. This year isn't a year too far for him, it's two years too far. He got away with it last season because there was no challenge from Celtic.

The stubborn aspect of the man never fails to amaze me, either. I would bet my life on Sunday that Weir is back into the team and Edu is another first pick.

It might also tell another story about how much (or lackof) faith Smith has in his players. He obviously doesn't trust them enough to play their game and beat teams - he has to try and make sure we simply avoid defeat instead. That's pretty insulting.

I think tims are right when they call the phone in's and say the media are scared of Smith. It makes perfect sense. Celtic have outplayed us in the last 4 Old Firm games, won 3 and the other one felt like a defeat yet no-one grills him on his tactics or selections or picks up on the gulf in apparent quality.

You get the usual guys like Wishart, Keevins and Daziell all reel out the usual patter about how "we don't need to tell Walter how to do his job"

Event the most vocal of his defenders must be starting to wake up and smell the cheese now. Only a few weeks ago, people like me were told to shut up because we were "fighting on all 4 fronts"

Well, after Sunday, there's a real chance that 4 becomes 1.

People say the highs well outweight the lows. At this rate it will flip.

The other week when he went on record as saying he's losing his desire for the Old Firm games, he should have been asked to step aside there and then and McCoist take the reigns on an interm basis leading to a permanent job at the end of it if he done well.

Also, please don't reply saying "I'm moaning for the sake of it" ... I'm not. If you disagree then fine, but don't insult mine or your intelligence.

I would agree with most of that. Ok, Walter's won a lot but lets not forget that his most successful run in Europe was with players not in the same league as Laudrup, Gazza etc. When Walter had all these players at his disposal and an open cheque book he was generally found to be tactically poor in Europe. I think Sunday is make or break for our season. Lose this one and I have a feeling the league may slip away as well.I'm also concerned about next year and Ally in charge. My heart wants him to succeed but my head says, 'have a clean out'. Hope he proves me wrong.

The same john brown that urged smith to buy cuellar? And fuck havin murray working as a scout eh, the last thing we need is a guy with good knowledge and connections in france germany switzerland holland and austria, we cant be havin that.

And i for one would take gattuso in a heartbeat.

The same john brown that urged smith to buy cuellar? And fuck havin murray working as a scout eh, the last thing we need is a guy with good knowledge and connections in france germany switzerland holland and austria, we cant be havin that.

And i for one would take gattuso in a heartbeat.

He hardly found Cuellar, he played against us FFS LOL

So Neil Murray is the only scout in the world with contacts? He's brand new to the game. IMO your c scout should be a guy in his 50's with a proven track record. We're RANGERS not Dunfermline

Im not implying there has been little bad memories, in nearly 20 years theres bound to be, but some of the worst? Seriously?

From a personal perspective in regards to how I feel, yes. Some of the worst, easily, without a doubt.

From a personal perspective in regards to how I feel, yes. Some of the worst, easily, without a doubt.

I can't understand why people are questioning that. I support and love one football team. The Rangers, when they let me down i am gutted, they did that last night.

Aye we're awe sittin countin the days tae Wattie leaves ? doh Fuck me get some baws and give us The Billy Boys ya fuckin shower o' surrender monkey's. A battle loast here and a battle loast there disnae lose the war so get the bayonets fixed and let's get intae these people there's scores tae settle wae these cheatin bhastards ! Bring on the bheggars ! :sherlock: