• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Celtic Football Club Statement

By: Newsroom Staff on 12 May, 2011 14:59

FOLLOWING the events during the game against Hearts at Tynecastle on Wednesday night, Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell has made the following statement.

Last nights appalling attack on Neil Lennon brings shame on Scottish football and again highlights the fact that Scottish society must address fundamental and serious issues which lead to outrages of this kind.

"Apart from last nights events, this week alone we have seen seven people arrested at our Training Ground following an alleged firearms incident and I can also confirm that this morning (Thursday) another package arrived at Celtic Park which appears to contain ammunition. This has been removed and taken by Police for further forensic tests. We are the only Club to be the subject of such vile, sustained and relentless attacks.

"It is intolerable that any football club, or individual, going about their lawful business in the name of sport should be subjected to this ongoing campaign of hatred and intimidation. This is Scotlands shame and it is high time Scotland addressed it.

"Since moving here a decade ago, Neil Lennon has had to endure prejudice and violence both as a player and manager, having suffered no such problems elsewhere. In doing so, he has displayed a strength of character and resilience which deserve respect from all who oppose the campaign of intimidation against him.

"He is a man who is proud to be the Celtic manager and is someone who simply wants to be able to carry out his role in the same way as every other football manager can. Clearly, Neil will continue to receive every support and protection from Celtic Football Club.

"We are deeply appreciative of the intensive police efforts to address the criminal offences that have come to light. All right-minded people will surely condemn these actions but, as a society, we must also address the underlying factors that lead to such behaviour."

scotlands shame...the same words the celtic fans used on there banners to describe us...yeah lets show solidarity with these guys.

This has become a burning national issue. It seems prudent to me for our club to be seen to addressing an issue that now impacts on all clubs in Scotland.

And what else could they reasonably be expected to deliver but a resounding condemnation?

Correct. RFC did the right thing; I expect Rangers to act in a dignified and proper manner and not sink down to the levels some of those rheptiles slither at. No matter how we personally feel about that wee insect, an attack on a manager of ANY team simply can not be seen as being condoned, whether by words or lack of them.

If we were playing Hibs at Easter Road and one of their fans attacked one of our staff, would it be expected Hearts release a statement. I can see in some way perhaps why it was done, but if you're going to do it for that, then you have to do it for everything else so where is the statement condeming the IRA chants and the attacks on the police by Celtc fans, which btw seems to have been pretty much swept under the carpet and will never be heard of again.

You seem angry for a man whose team is about to win the league. Not seen anyone excuse bombs just question why we are getting involved.

If you want to support lennon may i suggest a tattoo beside your rangers crest ...capture a happy scene like lennon spouting bigoted abuse at the east enclosure..... (tu)

Think ill pass on the tattoo m8 if you dont mind. Im just sick of all this nonsense.

I am not against the Statement, I am against the context of the Statement- as far as I am lead to believe we are the 1st club to have issued a Statement, the facts have not been established, and by all accounts other things happened at that ground last night.

Just as Andy alluded to in the other thread, that statement on their website appears to be building the foundations for a move elsewhere. :sherlock:

After a quick look on kerryfail st, they're getting very excited about strikes, boycotts, and resignations. It seems like this year's SPL is also somehow "meaningless" after what happened last night. I wonder if they would feel the same way if they hadn't fucked up against ICT...

The wee tiff that happened with TLB at Tynecastle had nothing to do with us whatsoever.

The bombs that Neil Lennon is apparently receiving are nothng to do with football never mind Rangers. His antics in his personal life are finally catching up with him.

Fuck Neil Lennon

nowhere wants them....that discussion is a ridiculous one.

Agreed - no way will they get a move down south - NO WAY esp with all this going on. More chance of them joining the irish league or Norwegian - they are dreaming.

an attack on a manager of ANY team simply can not be seen as being condoned, whether by words or lack of them.

No one's condoning the attack... ( though watching it on telly at the time I have to admit I loved it. :5536:)

Never hit the cunt hard enough! :sherlock:

Rangers should just be fully committed to winning the league on Sunday and then say a few patronising words after it's in the bag.

Trust me, if the shoe was on the other foot that's what they would do.

They wanted a fucking WAR....

Trying with who though, the english league have said no twice now and have no plans to review that situation, certainly not without Rangers, so where are they going ?

To form a super duper Sellick-minded international megastar league?

Fuck knows, but they have very real aspirations to leave IMO - regardless of how feasible it may seem.

I thkink I'm in agreement here. If we come out and say what we've said, it's not viewed as big bad Rangers.

Yeah im with you two boys, no harm in it, I also think Rangers are very worried about repucussions on Ally McCoist from head bangers, so even though it is nothing to do with Rangers, doesnt harm us putting out message condoning actions !