Gers would be BAD for you, David

Gers would be BAD for you, David

By JOHN SHIELDS

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

DAVID HEALY has been warned NOT to sign for Rangers - for the sake of his international career.

New Ibrox boss Ally McCoist is drawing up plans for the new season and is considering offering a permanent deal to the Northern Ireland striker.

Boyhood Gers fan Healy signed on loan from Sunderland in January and played eight times, scoring one goal in the 6-0 home drubbing of Motherwell in February.

But Irish boss Nigel Worthington, who axed the frontman from the squad for the games against the Republic of Ireland and Wales this week, insists he must get regular first team football.

He has urged the 31-year-old not to become a bit-part player and said: "I don't think that signing for Rangers would be good for him.

"David must be playing regularly for his next club. That is vital if he hopes to carry on his international career.

"He has had a tough time over the last three years in terms of playing and performances.

"I've been very fair with my selection. Because you've done something, it doesn't mean you're always going to do it.

"It hasn't happened for him, but I hope he gets playing and gets sharper. If things are right, David will be selected. If not, I'm afraid he will be omitted from the group.

"He hasn't scored for the international team for three years and, obviously, that can't continue."

Healy is his country's record scorer with 35 goals, but is now a free agent after being released by Sunderland.

He joined them from Fulham for a whopping £8million in August 2008, but failed to make an impact at the Stadium of Light before going out on loan to Ipswich and Doncaster then Gers.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3596835/Gers-would-be-BAD-for-you-David.html#ixzz1NDoe15aE

He's had his glory days for Norn Iron should retire from internationals now imo. I'd like to keep him but he wont get a game and possibly isn't good enough anymore but its David Healy!

Nigel Worthington really is one dour, annoying cunt

He told Alan Mannus he'd stop picking him unless he left Linfield. So Mannus left them, had frivolous trials at about 10 different English and Scottish clubs, and ended up having to sign for some team in the Republic of Ireland because Linfield had already signed his replacement

I think that if he gets full fitness over pre season and a good run in the team, he might do well. But with lafferty and jelavic establishing a good partnership up front, I doubt he may need to accept he is a backup player if he signs a deal (and if he's offered one)

Nigel Worthington really is one dour, annoying cunt

He told Alan Mannus he'd stop picking him unless he left Linfield. So Mannus left them, had frivolous trials at about 10 different English and Scottish clubs, and ended up having to sign for some team in the Republic of Ireland because Linfield had already signed his replacement

(tu)

Can't stand Worthington at all, I think hes a shite manager. Mannus was at Shamrock Rovers, but i'm not sure if he still is.

Healy would be bad for the rangers IMO it's wasters like him that got us In a mess, taking money out the club for fuck all. Send him on his way

If you think David Healy is a waster like some of the shite we have had play for us and bleed us dry your nuts. Hes not on much money and every single time he came on the park for us he was grinning and laughing. You can see how much it means to him.

Im not saying he is good enough to play but to call him a waster and saying hes part of the reason we were in the shite we were is pretty sad tbh

Worthington's right probably.

Healy ain't gonna get regular first team football here so if he wants international football he should join someone else.

I like Healy but not bothered whether he signs or not. Would prefer someone better though.

He's not good enough.

It's a new era and we need to sign better players. We've had him, we've seen him and he's just not cut the mustard.

I've had enough of players who spend most of the season injured and contribute little when they aren't.

A waste of wages.

We apparently have a bit more money now, not a lot, but we should be able to do better than Healy.