*** Wimbledon 2011 Thread ***

Jordo

I've only got freeview sadly and it only has one option on the red button (usually Glastonbury highlights :anguish: )

so do I, so it should still work tommorrow, or bypass it and go to channel 301 on freeview (that's the channel the red button links to)

Tbh mate I could not care less what all the greats say, at the end of the day it's 'their' opinion and although I respect legends views it's not gospel.

In football you have greats saying X amount of players are world class and up there with the best when frankly the players in question are nowhere near top class.

If you love a player who hits many aces and power shots out of the blue rather than building up the point then fair enough. That's the style you believe is the best ever, I'm not in agreement but each to their own.

Becker was not past his prime, he was only 23 when Sampras won his first slam in 1990.

Nowadays the men's matches are very boring with great serving or hard power shots. Back in that era it was more of a Nadal style of building up to win a point with more rallies. There was much more tennis rallies and net play then today.

Federer's matches and style are overrated in my eyes, especially on here. He wins numerous points from great serving and power shots, Roger is not a player who consistently builds up to finish off a point. That's why you see him miss-hit a good amount of shots because most the time he is wanting to hit a quick winner.

Don't get me wrong Federer is capable of a long rally when needed but I don't see this consistently in his matches. At times Federer's matches are pretty boring because his serve is so fantastic(underrated at times) but as I said to Jamie if that is what you prefer, fair enough.

There is pros and cons for both arguments, but I think we can all agree Federer and Sampras are two of the best.

Becker won the vast majority of his slams before 1990 and he turned pro in 84. By the time Sampras was dominating, Becker was at nowhere his best. He had been on the tour for so long even though he was still relatively young.

I disagree. The players now are fitter and there is less serve and volleying than in the 80's and 90's. Players are more content to stay at the baseline and have a long rally.

And what your saying Federer is doing, that's basically what Sampras' game was all about. Huge serve, amazing volleys and big groundstrokes.

Federer is more than just a great server and someone who just looks to hit winners. His defence, fitness are so underrated and his touch at the net is second to none.

Could be argued that Becker did not win as many slams due to emergence of Sampras.

Becker still won 2 out of his 6 slams in the 90s, made 3 finals(5 semis) Not to mention winning two year end tour trophies(made two other finals)

Consistently was ranked between 2-6 from 84-96. Think it's fair to say Becker still competed very well from 90-96 winning big trophies whilst competing with the best. Although he won 2 slams in 85/86 he arguably had his best years in 90 and 91.

You make very valid points with the baseline argument and it's possible you are correct. Suppose it could be a case of the more coverage of tennis in today's era making it easier to get fed up or bored with it, excuse the pun there. :P

Sampras had a great serve that can't be denied, still think his rallies were more controlled than going for winners.

Not claiming Federer is only a power player or great server. However that part of him is very vital in my eyes and saves him on occasions, do believe he relies on it more often nowadays. Federer has an epic tough at the night, one the best about for sure, just feel at times his style and matches are not as epic or quality as people suggest.

Don't personally enjoy watching Roger's matches as I do(did) with the likes of Sampras, Nadal, Novak. That is personal taste I suppose.

Seeing as he won 4 slams between 1985 and 1990, I don't buy the argument that Sampras stopped him winning a lot more Grand Slams when he didn't win that many before.

He was very good in the 90's but I don't think he was at his best. I think he was at his best in the late 80's but I felt he was burnt out in the 90's as he had been on the tour since 84 and players who break out at 16/17 don't tend to have long careers.

There is always going to be players who only have a serve. Ivo Karlovic being the best example. But for him there's a Gilles Simon whose game relies on being the fitter player who makes less unforced errors. Andy Murray does it as well to an extent.

Yeah, I think Sampras' strokes were underrated to be fair. But to me, he seemed to want to get the point done as quickly as possible. Big serve, approach shot then a big dunk smash.

I agree that his serve saves him at times but he's just as likely to hit an amazing winner. I think it's something that most of the top players have in their games. They so often, when break point down, hit an ace or get a good first serve in.

I think it depends on who he's playing. His matches against Djokovic are always fantastic imo and obviously with Nadal, the standard is always supreme. But against many players, they can't seem to do anything on his serve. Nalbandian on Saturday is a great example.

Tbh mate I could not care less what all the greats say, at the end of the day it's 'their' opinion and although I respect legends views it's not gospel.

In football you have greats saying X amount of players are world class and up there with the best when frankly the players in question are nowhere near top class.

If you love a player who hits many aces and power shots out of the blue rather than building up the point then fair enough. That's the style you believe is the best ever, I'm not in agreement but each to their own.

Becker was not past his prime, he was only 23 when Sampras won his first slam in 1990.

Nowadays the men's matches are very boring with great serving or hard power shots. Back in that era it was more of a Nadal style of building up to win a point with more rallies. There was much more tennis rallies and net play then today.

Federer's matches and style are overrated in my eyes, especially on here. He wins numerous points from great serving and power shots, Roger is not a player who consistently builds up to finish off a point. That's why you see him miss-hit a good amount of shots because most the time he is wanting to hit a quick winner.

Don't get me wrong Federer is capable of a long rally when needed but I don't see this consistently in his matches. At times Federer's matches are pretty boring because his serve is so fantastic(underrated at times) but as I said to Jamie if that is what you prefer, fair enough.

There is pros and cons for both arguments, but I think we can all agree Federer and Sampras are two of the best.

Finesse shots, not just "power". What do you want him to do? Get into a rally and make his matches last twice as long? Don't be daft, if the point is there to be won and you can win it, play the shot. It's the equivalent of a young Tiger Woods deliberately making par's just to keep the competition exciting going into the Sunday.

As you said later in the post, Federer can get into long rallies and hold his own but doesn't... why on earth would he?

Monday's Order Of Play

Centre Court

Murray v Gasquet

V Williams v Pironkova

Nadal v Del Potro

Court One

Bartoli v S Williams

Llodra v Djokovic

Youzhny v Federer

Time is the matches on at mate?

Serena must be seething. Forget the supposed mistreatment of Andy Murray, she's the defending champion and seems to have played most of her matches away from centre court this year :lol:

She had a rant about it the other day :lol: